Saddle change problem?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
NotFlyingScot

Saddle change problem?

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Currently testing a Selle SMP saddle. Did first ride up to Charlottes Pass and had very bad pain first in left calf and then in the back of the thigh. Eventually pain was all the way up the back of the leg from calf to well up the back of the thigh. Rested onite but had to stop heading up to Thredbo next day. Felt I was going to tear the muscles off the back of my leg! Any suggestion as to potential cause of the pain would be welcomed. Not a stranger to long climbs so was very surprised to have this major issue.
FPR Jubilado Bludger

ratter

Re: Saddle change problem?

Postby ratter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Have you set it up correctly or just fitted it to the original position? I'm currently trying a loan SMP at the moment, it is the 2nd one the shop has lent me to try, I have found both seats required different heights, setback and angles compared to each other and to my original Fizik
Last edited by ratter on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabrielle260

Saddle change problem?

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:55 pm

I agree with ratter... Check your seat height and setback compared with previously. And don't let anyone tell you it is a rookie mistake- I've known of pro cyclists who haven't been able to work out why they suddenly have sore Achilles when all it is because of changing to a saddle with more height between rails and top of seat.

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:00 pm

First chance today since last week to ride. LBS have taken saddle down a bit more. Hopefully get out again tomorrow to give it a try. They have a couple of other adjustments in mind if this does not improve things. It's a big change after about 28000km riding on one saddle which has not been moved since almost the day I took delivery of the bike.
Probably should have done slightly easier rides initially than charging up the Snowy Mts roads :oops:
FPR Jubilado Bludger

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm

also, don't forget top measure setback, which can vary quite considerably from saddle to saddle (esp when combined with where on the saddle you sit). You'll feel it badly in the hamstrings if the change is too great

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Will be doing further checking / adjustments after weekend's riding including possible changes to set back as you mention. Will also be looking at one of the other models with some actual padding on the deck :roll:
Was so much better today with saddle height lowered that little bit further.
FPR Jubilado Bludger

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:05 pm

You know, I've also found that some saddles are just hell (because of their cut) on the back of my thighs and lower arse cheeks. The definitely seem to push in the wrong places (creases??) and especially when doing sustained climbing. Just a thought.

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:47 pm

LBS are very understanding. If the SMP style simply does not seem to suit they say not to worry. No pressure to buy. Either stick with existing or try some other style if I wish. They are good guys.
FPR Jubilado Bludger