Sunburn

holmesy

Sunburn

Postby holmesy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:42 pm

I know doing a search this has kind of been covered, but I have a few question still-

My commute(this years resolution) is 25 Klms and is taking an hour and a half in my unfit state- and sunburn is a worry.

I am looking at sun protection options without sweating half my body weight (although it wouldn't hurt)

Long sleeve shirts - I don't want to look like a cycle guy(no offense) with the Lycra etc. I am looking at things like a Nike uv long sleeve shirt- anyone got some non- skin tight Lycra recommendations? The website searches I have found seem to get confused with longsleeved thermal type arrangements, whereas I want super super light weight long sleeve to get me through high 20 degrees

KonaCommuter

Re: Sunburn

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:17 pm

How about long sleeve high vis shirts made for blue collar workers?

Edit to add the word “for” so my suggestion actually makes sense
Last edited by KonaCommuter on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Oppy A4

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm also a loose-fit kinda gal and got something similar to this on sale from Paddy Pallin. Only trouble with it is it's a bit short in the back. Have a look at camping/outdoor/disposal stores too, you can usually pick up long sleeve Coolmax type fabric tops, they usually have pretty good SPF.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

sonj

Postby sonj » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:46 pm

How much do you want to spend? I have a Ground Effect long sleeved jersey which is very comfy in a Sydney summer, and has the added benefit of not showing any damage after a silly clipstack (unlike the scraped elbow underneath) and with a slightly loose fit.

It is hands down the coolest top even compared to my various short sleeved jerseys. Here is the male version: http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... IP-SUM.htm.

Or look for MTB tops as they are deliberately loose fitting. I love online shops like Wiggle but they have very little UV protective summer riding or running gear. No running caps or visors with neck flaps either, or rashies :) And sadly even Oz online stores like Cell Bikes and Cycling Express have made little effort to offer any protective cycling stuff suited to our summers.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:40 pm

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Go for loose fit mountain bike gear. Another vote for Ground Effect.

Unfortunately lightweight sunproof long sleeve summer jerseys are not that common. Even with max sunblock on, I get a hives-like reaction to too much sun exposure.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:30 pm

I got a fluid long sleeve cycling shirt when I first started riding. It was baggy cause I got a few sizes up (was not ready for the skin tight lycra yet) mind you this renders the pockets useless.

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 pm

jules21 wrote:these.
I use these and find them quite good. Unfortunately they don't satisfy the OP's requirement for being non-skintight.
Cheers,
Dave

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:59 pm

I am not into lycra so I use long sleeve hi vis polo shirts that Kmart sells. I find that they are comfortable even in hot weather.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 am

I just wear long sleeve riding shirts all year round.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Try and ride outside 8 and 4 and you could probably do without the sun protection in most places- Where are you?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:46 pm

I wear a short sleeve jersey and arm coolers most of the time now, but in the past (and occasionally now) I wore a long sleeve hi-vis work shirt which is 50+SPF. I get them from the flea markets where they sell the over stock from the manufacturers/embroiderers/printers. Basically I rode around advertising a variety of different businesses under a range of different names.

You'd be surprised at the difference it makes when the ute drivers think you're a tradie with a DUI rather than a "cyclist".

David (a.k.a. Steve from some Halal meat suppliers, a.k.a George T. from a big construction firm, a.k.a. Pete from Campelltown council etc.)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: You'd be surprised at the difference it makes when the ute drivers think you're a tradie with a DUI rather than a "cyclist".
ha ha ha lol... MTB gear is loose fitting, but doesn't have the above qualities. I prefer mtb gear, it may flap in the wind but doesn't slow you down. Still can't get past the lycra thing once off the bike.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:22 pm

holmesy wrote:I know doing a search this has kind of been covered, but I have a few question still-

My commute(this years resolution) is 25 Klms and is taking an hour and a half in my unfit state- and sunburn is a worry.

I am looking at sun protection options without sweating half my body weight (although it wouldn't hurt)

Long sleeve shirts - I don't want to look like a cycle guy(no offense) with the Lycra etc. I am looking at things like a Nike uv long sleeve shirt- anyone got some non- skin tight Lycra recommendations? The website searches I have found seem to get confused with longsleeved thermal type arrangements, whereas I want super super light weight long sleeve to get me through high 20 degrees
I commute 1 hr each way over around the same distance as yourself. I usually wear either short knicks or shy shorts and either a short sleeve jersey or a sleeveless jersey. I combine this with a wonderful invention called SPF 30+ Sunscreen on all the exposed bits. That does the job quite nicely. In the morning I am cycling to work just as the sun rises, and since I am at the office at 7am I find that I don't need the sunscreen.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

holmesy

Postby holmesy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for all the tips- my quick 10 sec reviews:

Nike uv miller shirt is good for the price- the arms aren't quite long enough fit (I'm XL) but do the trick. It is quite baggy around the armpits. Feels like a football shirt. I think this is still a great purchase for the price. Probably shouldn't have gone the white- it got a but muddy today! Downside is no redneck protection

The ground effects zip is a top product- got it $30 cheaper by signing up to their newsletter. It feels like a cycling shirt, looks like one(probably because of the zip, and because my gut is accentuated by the fit)- sleeves sit right, right tightness on the arms/armpits etc. I don't need the rear pockets, but I guess they are a bonus. Nice shirt, glad i have one, but at more then double the price of the Nike, hard to justify. Guess I'll have to see if wife is feeling generous for birthdays etc!!

Thanks for the tips

Timmeh

Postby Timmeh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Don't forget to slop as well, this stuff http://shop.cancercouncil.com.au/p-1324 ... 500ml.aspx works well

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:31 pm

I use the arm coolers as well (Pearl Izumi ones from Cell Bikes). The work very well.

Even though they don't satisfy the original requirement the benefits (apart from the obvious) are:
1. they don't flap around.
2. they're ventilated unlike long sleeves.
3. they wick sweat away (not much of a problem on the arms though).

Think of it as a tiny step towards lycra. Just a little one...you can stop anytime you like :twisted:

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:50 pm

I tried the skin tight arm "warmers" and they're fine. But I'm not really into skin tight, so now I buy the long sleeve running tops made from Coolmax and other good wicking material. I'd like to buy them locally, but the cost is $50-60 or more so I get them on wiggle for about $20. They come in bright colours, and they don't flap around in the wind. Good brands too, like Adidas, New Balance or Nike. The only major drawback is they don't have rear pockets, but I can live with that. They're cool in hot weather, and good for early autumn and spring mornings. I commute home at about 4 most days and they keep me cool even in 35+ temps. 8)

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells