3 days in Rotarua NZ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

3 days in Rotarua NZ

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 am

I'm going to be in NZ for 2 weeks and will have 3 full days in Rotarua. While I'm there I have access to an older touring bike, its a little small for me but its doable.

Don't know the roads in that area

Any suggestions for a ride
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Aushiker

Re: 3 days in Rotarua NZ

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:59 am

mikesbytes wrote:I'm going to be in NZ for 2 weeks and will have 3 full days in Rotarua. While I'm there I have access to an older touring bike, its a little small for me but its doable.

Don't know the roads in that area

Any suggestions for a ride
There is a nice 100 ride south to Taupo :) Make it an easy 200 km and ride back. You can stay off the highway a fair bit. Takes in some of thermal areas and opportunities for a swim (lake or thermal pools) and visit to Huka Falls.

For a more local day ride, head out to Blue Lake -> Green Lake -> Lake Tarewera and then back via Lake Okataina. SOme nice hills, amazing scerney, tight twisting roads and beaut swimming in all the lakes bar Green Lake (not allowed). You could even tie in a climb of Mt Tarewera by picking up the boat on the Lake or a visit to the Buried Village.

Another short and quick option is a ride of Lake Rotorua. Maybe through in a loop of Ngongotaha and a then a climb of same.

Finally another option is a ride out along SH 5 up to the Mamaku and then loop back. Depending on the loop/time you can throw in some gravel roads.

Google maps should give you some ideas.

Some great mountain biking there as well ... world championships have been held in Rotorua in the past.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 am

You're going to Rotorua, and you're going to stay on the roads? :shock: :wink:

The best riding is not on the roads, you simply *have* to do the mountain bike trails - among the very best in the world, options to suit all skill levels (trails are graded and signed according to IMBA standards, similar to ski runs), scenery you simply won't see any other way and an up-close-and-personal experience of the unique NZ ecology

http://www.riderotorua.co.nz

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:You're going to Rotorua, and you're going to stay on the roads? :shock: :wink:
Yeah are you f*kn nuts??

While the trails would be doable on a touring bike (I've ridden most on my CX & have seen a guy race there on a Raleigh 20 Folder...) but do yourself a favour and for a least one day go visit these people http://www.mtbrotorua.co.nz/ and hire a mtb for at least half a day.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Exit trail is one of the rougher trails out there, this is more what it's like

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

You will find a lot of info on here

http://www.nzcycletrail.com/region/rotorua