Routes sydney south

bossonbike

Routes sydney south

Postby bossonbike » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi I've recently started road cycling and am looking for some nice rides/routes starting from the Hurstville, Beverly Hills region. I'm quite fit but would prefer ones with light traffic or cycleways as I'm still a beginner.

Thanks

gururug

Re: Routes sydney south

Postby gururug » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Brighton beach -> san souci, early morning weekdays, very nice ride if your not looking to build pace ;)

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:55 pm

First off you can head to Brighton Le Sands. The cycleway there can get you to Kurnell to the south and Rhodes and Sydney Olympic Park along the Cooks River Cycleway. When your more confident head south to the Royal National Park through Caringbah and Sutherland with the crowds on the weekend.
http://www.sydneycycleways.net/
http://www.bikely.com/listpaths
Have fun,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:53 pm

The Bay-to-Bay cycleway (including section around to Kurnell) is an excellent suggestion.

But riding to it from Hurstville is a little challenging. As can be seen from the open cyclemap, there's the classic missing link problem from Rocky Point Road east to the bay.

While it's not marked as a cycleway, Ramsgate Rd east from Rocky Point Road might be worth
trying.

You might find the www.RideTheCity.com site useful.
It seems to do a pretty good job of finding routes when you pick the "safe" route option.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

bossonbike

Postby bossonbike » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions I might go test out the bay to bay run =)