Ride like crazy 2012

arkle

Re: Ride like crazy 2012

Postby arkle » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Maybe some people are misinterpreting the name of the ride, "Ride Like Crazy". Crazy isn't a directive, it was the nickname of a policeman!

I really really wanted to do it this year but I had no one to ride with :(

arkle
Last edited by arkle on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

limetang

Postby limetang » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Unfortunately I noticed the same thing with so many groups chatting and riding 4 abreast, blocking passing cyclists and traffic. Worst were people who would surge past at the start of a descent, only to brake and hold up everyone and not move to the left. Nothing unusual for a ride of this type though so I have no bad memories. Cant wait to see the photos!

Enricopalazzo

Postby Enricopalazzo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:12 pm

I can understand what a lot of you are talking about, but remember there were approx 5000 people there.

The worst part was the start getting to bollards, that was just dangerous due to the difficulty of the climb, the terrible head winds, the narrowness of the road and the varying level of the riders, so I just remained patient and slowly made my way thru the field - any experienced rider hopefully did the same and made the best of a bad situation.

Overall everyone I thought was very good, there were a few instances of riders weaving up hills at a very slow pace, but that is to be expected. The organizers did a good Job, bar some suspect drink locations, ie the one at the bottom of the hill art craters, the cops were also very helpful and I had a chat to lots of them throughout the day.

Overall it was a good day. The route was challenging enough to push more experienced riders, and also accommodate to inexperienced riders too.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:18 pm

I've just looked at the video I took on the bike cam. A couple of instances of riders 4-5 abreast but no cars near, two goons on MTBs taking the full road heading down through the Gorge, They didn't take kindly to being asked, politely, to keep left. Most of my footage shows riders holding their line well, signalling to pass etc., doing head checks. The climb up the freeway is always a bit dodgy but this year was far better than last. Looks like the route could be changed next year if the post ride survey is any indication.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:05 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:I've just looked at the video I took on the bike cam. A couple of instances of riders 4-5 abreast but no cars near, two goons on MTBs taking the full road heading down through the Gorge, They didn't take kindly to being asked, politely, to keep left. Most of my footage shows riders holding their line well, signalling to pass etc., doing head checks. The climb up the freeway is always a bit dodgy but this year was far better than last. Looks like the route could be changed next year if the post ride survey is any indication.
No offence, but you may have been on a different ride, because there wasn't many head checks or polite riding.

The ride from woodside on was OK, as there wasn't many people. Before that it a nightmare. One experience I will not repeat. Shame.

mmhbeer

Postby mmhbeer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 am

Just wondering if the riders riding ability is in line with their fitness or is it dismal across the board? Eg the faster the average speed, the fitter and experienced the riders are.

I ride solo and not in a bunch with strangers bludging a lift so maybe that's why I don't see as much bad riding.

I averaged 27.9kmh for the ride.

brutan

Postby brutan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:34 am

I think it is all about educating the riders before they head out on a community ride. As the sport has increase in popularly over the years you will get more riders who don’t understand the rules of riding in a big group. As a guess 95% of these riders do want to do the right thing but just don’t know how to, or get the opportunity to train with a bunch or riders. One way maybe to educate these riders is for an organisation like Bicycle SA to produce a short film which can be viewed on webs sites like ride like crazy. Another idea which could work is issue small fines out to the rider who are in the wrong and this money could go to the charity of choice of the organisers. If people know they are being watch you would see a quick change in their attitude to the road rules..... what do you think?????

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:47 am

The one issue that really made my blood boil was that descending out of Crafers, a car was being held up by a cyclist, and the car was doing well, being patient, giving the rider space and not overtaking due to solid white lines (when it could have several times). After only a minute or so, an absolute #ANK$% on a bike passes the car on the right, over double white lines, heading into a blind corner. A car coming the other way had to move off the road and brake suddenly to avoid the cyclist. How he got hit I don't know.

The car was able to to progress a mere 200m later.

After I caught up with him (the idiot cyclist), I gave him a mouthful, and all he could do was grin like an idiot. He was in his 50's, experienced enough (not a newbie) to know much better.

The issues that Liamb raised were seen up until Woodside, i.e. people taking the whole lane, not moving over for cars, pushing through gaps that weren't there to keep up with mates, surging past on the flat only to wheeze like wallys and hit reverse gear at any sign of a hill.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 am

DIDN'T ride yesterday, WON'T be riding Friday so these are general notes only, but I can well understand Michael's frustrations.

You have to make your own assessment of whether an organised ride is worth it. I haven't done any for a couple of years, in part because of things I saw which appalled me.

It's WONDERFUL that so many cyclists are now taking to the roads, and occasions such as these should be a time for educating newbs to our sport. It's not always the newbs who create the greatest problems/danger though. It's those who ought know better who insist it's a race and polish up their deep dish carbon wheels so they can rule the roads.

Riders lacking in confidence (for example, who feather their brakes on descents) can be passed, avoided, waited behind. It's not ideal, it may p1ss you off, but it's not a race. When someone tries to turn it into one, or a group starts barging their paceline through a packed field that the dynamics change for the worse. I've seen too many coffee-shop warriors (yes, sponsored or emblazoned with a well known coffee chain) who think the day is ALL ABOUT their right to act like d1cks.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Ah yes, the coffee chain that shall not be mentioned. I could tell a great tale about a small lady, skinny white guy and a dude who looks like Father Christmas passing several of said emblazoned riders (wearing their "guns out" shirts) up Montacute Hill and passee's looking annoyed and barely grunting a reply to the cheery hello sent their way by the happy trio of passers. But that would be telling! :D
Certified Brand Snob

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:... a dude who looks like Father Christmas :D
Jeff?
Jeff would make a very skinny looking FC.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm

No, he is a Mark. I think I ride with Geoff regularly (Orbea, Norood cycles gear?) and he would also suit. Mark has a fuller beard and rides with his reading glasses dangling on a string around his neck!
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Didn't see any of the coffee chain road dorks, but the ones with the flying pigs and something to do with small men and not being fast as their logo were a small group of 5 that constantly passed me and got overtaken on a regular basis, just to be in front.

Agree with wot Rusty said. Some people think that if they take 5 sec to wait for a group to pass, or to slow a little so that a car can pass is beyond them.

C'est la vie.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: I think I ride with Geoff regularly (Orbea, Norood cycles gear?)
Yup, used to ride a Daccordi, it was nicked.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Bingo, good man, ride with him every Saturday.
Certified Brand Snob

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:Didn't see any of the coffee chain road dorks, but the ones with the flying pigs and something to do with small men and not being fast as their logo were a small group of 5 that constantly passed me and got overtaken on a regular basis, just to be in front.
Ah, seen them down around Henley Beach and they really do need some Sunnyboys music >>>>>

youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qLrPQBmcI

hungrystix

Postby hungrystix » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Well I must admit that my thoughts were the complete opposite. I had vowed never to do an organised ride not run by Bike SA again after the TDU Challenge fiasco in 2010. A mate roped me in though at the last minute. However I thoroughly enjoyed the day. The organisation was fantastic and I was generally impressed at how well behaved, considerate and friendly all riders were. For the most part, I was riding in a group of 20-30 riders where it was generally single file/two abreast and most riders called and signaled. There are always those do their own thing and don't take their turn at the front but that's something I've come to accept on group rides. Maybe I was more at the front with experienced riders thereby avoiding the crowds and idiots as I averaged 29.1km/h. I will certainly be considering again for 2013.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:No, he is a Mark. I think I ride with Geoff regularly (Orbea, Norood cycles gear?) and he would also suit. Mark has a fuller beard and rides with his reading glasses dangling on a string around his neck!
I've met mark and seen him fly past me many a time. He is the antithesis of the cafe racer and a true gent.
My observation of the "flying pigs" is they ride pretty well on the flat but fall to pieces when the terrain starts going up, it happened on nearly every climb up to Lobethal.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

hungrystix wrote:Well I must admit that my thoughts were the complete opposite. I had vowed never to do an organised ride not run by Bike SA again after the TDU Challenge fiasco in 2010. A mate roped me in though at the last minute. However I thoroughly enjoyed the day. The organisation was fantastic and I was generally impressed at how well behaved, considerate and friendly all riders were. For the most part, I was riding in a group of 20-30 riders where it was generally single file/two abreast and most riders called and signaled. There are always those do their own thing and don't take their turn at the front but that's something I've come to accept on group rides. Maybe I was more at the front with experienced riders thereby avoiding the crowds and idiots as I averaged 29.1km/h. I will certainly be considering again for 2013.
My observation too yesterday. the best riding I've ever seen on a community ride.

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

While I appreciate Michael's frustration at rider behaviour on RLC, its nothing different from what is seen on the Challenge Ride, Amy's, the BikeSA Grand Slams or just your average weekend ride in the hills. By having 2000 riders on the road at the same time you just get to see more of it in a shorter space of time. Think of it as distilled f***wits. I for one had a great ride (but was mostly at the front so didnt really have to pass or be passed by many people).
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 am

Dahondude wrote:While I appreciate Michael's frustration at rider behaviour on RLC, its nothing different from what is seen on the Challenge Ride, Amy's, the BikeSA Grand Slams or just your average weekend ride in the hills. .....
I guess you are right, but the RLC was the worst by far (in my fading memory), and now with the influx of cyclists due to the TdU, they are in the local streets as well. Almost got flattened by a small group who didn't give way as I came over the King St bridge despite me having the right of way, with a flashing Magic Shine 900 Lumen light - even the Taxi saw me and stopped :roll:

alex

Postby alex » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 pm

if this sort of behaviour bothers you like it bothers me then there are places you should not ride during the TDU and the week before and after :

- anywhere between brighton and outer harbour
- norton summit/summertown/crafers loop
- any of the lobethal loops

there is still a lot of good riding to be done, just try somewhere new. hint - 'they' tend to stay off the back streets.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 am

Took the opportunity yesterday to let the RLC org know about my feelings for the behavious seen on the ride. I got the following response ;

Hi Michael,

thank you for the feedback.

We take rider safety very seriously, particularly when it comes to vulnerable road users such as cyclists.

Your concerns will be brought to the attention of the Ride Like Crazy Inc body.

Finally, we are very sorry to see you go but thank you for your wonderful support over the past 3 years.

Hmmm. Not quite the response I expected, but c'est la vie.

liamb

Postby liamb » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 am

Michael

Just out of interest what sort of response were you expecting from the RLC group?. I wrote a letter to the RLC group and SAPOL and got a response that went something like "as cyclists are not registered or licensed ( I know controversial) we cannot trace the offenders we can only stress at all times to use the road rules and be considerate to other road users". At the start talk everyone who spoke told us to be careful ad respect the rules but a large group did not listen or could not be bothered what do you do with those idiots???. RLC and SAPOL asked me what I think could be done as a cyclist to improve the situation. What can we do?????. I cant fault the people who organise and run the event, it is the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! (riders) on the road that ruin it.
I have spent the last few weeks constantly on the road in cars and trucks and I now have a HUGE hate and disrespect for cyclists. I totally understand why motorists get so angry. Every day I see 10-20 events of total disrespect for other road users, like just swapping lanes with out looking or indicating, riding 3 wide outside of bike lanes practicing time trials!!!!!! running red lights, knocking over pedestrians (5 in 1 week)!!! etc. I even hit a car because a group just merged from 1 lane to another to avoid a car parked in the gutter without looking, the lady I hit had kids in the car and all the cyclists did was give me the finger when I beeped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! didnt stop at all!!!. What can anyone do until there is rego or license?? Sorry for the rant but what can we do??
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 am

All I can do is be respectful, obey 99% of the road rules (yes, I am not perfect), be polite (give thanks and show appreciation when poeple do thwe right thing), and the most important one is to lead by example.

The above, and not participate on group rides.

I guess I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting a bit more than a lame reply.

Meh, I did my bit.

I'll now concentrate on enjoying my rides either by myself or with a few mates.