Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

rifraf

Re: Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

Postby rifraf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Aushiker wrote:
polishbiker wrote:Hm, if the price tag is so close then i would go for *bike then because of the delivery time..
I haven't had a warranty experience with Starbike.com but I have with Bike24.net. That experience is enough to swing me to Starbike.com.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
good to know.
A less than happy warranty experience after a months delivery wait swings it for me.
Other than extremely pedestrian delivery, I found the Starbike service fine during my
SonDelux and Edelux purchase.
I was impressed with their communication especially as English is unlikely to be
their first language (My German might have been politely described as rudimentary 15 years ago).
I'd happily deal with them again. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Baalzamon wrote:It seems now that Rohloff are now doing a 36hole version of the hub. It's available on starbike, but not bike24 yet.
Hmmmmmmm
yet another reason to favor Starbike it would appear :D

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Hmmm,

Emailed *bike about the "not able to send to Australia" to check if this is the same error as last time, got a reply:

"Rohloff wants to protect the local distributor in Australia, hence we and
all other german dealers are not allowed to deliver to Australia"

Perhaps something changed as of new year?! Hub in Oz is 1800$+!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 pm

polishbiker wrote:Hmmm,

Emailed *bike about the "not able to send to Australia" to check if this is the same error as last time, got a reply:

Ah well, there goes ordering a Rohloff hub. I will advise them accordingly.

Edit: Sent a very strongly worded email to Rohloff pointing out that price gouging Australian customers is not smart. Mavic tried this and learnt the hard way.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 pm

polishbiker is attempting from bike24
St Kilda cycles for instance only has 2 of the models as well......
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Baalzamon wrote:polishbiker is attempting from bike24
St Kilda cycles for instance only has 2 of the models as well......
and the Australian distributor's website is not functioning by the looks.

Andrew
Andrew

rdvmonasterio

Postby rdvmonasterio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:11 pm

I have a nice Vivente WR, which was just fine for the Melbourne to Sydney tour. I am planning a trip around Australia, perhaps next year and have been looking at the Thorn Nomad... I am thinking how useful it would be to have a good bike already set up with Rohloff... The question is... how much does it cost to get a Thor Nomad into australia, taxes, freight included? I am guessing someone here knows the answer... thanks

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:59 pm

One of the best touring bargains I've seen in a long time is the Koga Miyata Randonneur on clearance sale from cycleworld , as advertised on p.79 of the latest Australian Cyclist. $3795 bike for $1995 :mrgreen:

As for the Thorn Nomad, to get one into Aus from the UK will probably cost you about $5000. That's why I went the route of buying frame, Rohloff hub and all other parts from UK and German on-line stores and building it myself. I think the spokes, tyres and tubes were locally sourced. This saved me about $1000-1500. It is not a cheap bike, but it is going to be my touring bike for the next 20 years and I expect most of the componentry will still be running in 20 years time.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Slim

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:38 pm

polishbiker wrote:Hmmm,

Another German online retailer you might wish to try is Rosebikes.

http://www.rosebikes.it/articolo/rohlof ... /aid:45427

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Hmm, methinks that Rosebikes may be Italian :wink: They only seem to have the one model (the internal gearbox version) in Silver for regular brakes, or Black for disc brake only. :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Slim

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:51 pm

il padrone wrote:Hmm, methinks that Rosebikes may be Italian :wink: They only seem to have the one model (the internal gearbox version) in Silver for regular brakes, or Black for disc brake only. :(
Ciao,

Well yes I did post the Italian translation, but they are aus Deutschland,

http://www.roseversand.com/content/abou ... se-versand

They are big so I would be surprised if they only have the one model, but that does appear to be what the site implies.

http://www.roseversand.com/search/find/?q=rohloff

If anyone wanted to pursue it they should probably contact Rosebikes directly and get clarification.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Slim wrote:
il padrone wrote:Hmm, methinks that Rosebikes may be Italian :wink: They only seem to have the one model (the internal gearbox version) in Silver for regular brakes, or Black for disc brake only. :(
Ciao,

Well yes I did post the Italian translation, but they are aus Deutschland,

http://www.roseversand.com/content/abou ... se-versand

They are big so I would be surprised if they only have the one model, but that does appear to be what the site implies.

http://www.roseversand.com/search/find/?q=rohloff

If anyone wanted to pursue it they should probably contact Rosebikes directly and get clarification.
They have a English language site as well at http://rosebikes.co.uk/. It has come up before but they do not seem to deduct the VAT and they ask for information such as your birthdate before you can place an order. I haven't found them to be competitive and the shipping was expensive as well. BTW I emailed them months ago about the VAT and got no response.

Any site that wants a birthdate to place an order screams alarm bells to me; not that I would give them it anyway but still. Key piece of information that can make facilitating identity theft that much easier.

YMMV of course.

The price on the Rohloff they have listed is 943.91 Euro delivered. Bike24.net is 770.91 Euro delivered for the same hub.

Andrew
Andrew

Slim

Postby Slim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 am

Aushiker wrote:
They have a English language site as well at http://rosebikes.co.uk/. It has come up before but they do not seem to deduct the VAT and they ask for information such as your birthdate before you can place an order. I haven't found them to be competitive and the shipping was expensive as well. BTW I emailed them months ago about the VAT and got no response.
Any site that wants a birthdate to place an order screams alarm bells to me; not that I would give them it anyway but still. Key piece of information that can make facilitating identity theft that much easier.
YMMV of course.
The price on the Rohloff they have listed is 943.91 Euro delivered. Bike24.net is 770.91 Euro delivered for the same hub.

Andrew
Andrew,

They would have to deduct the VAT on exported goods or they would be in deep sheizen.
I hadn't heard of them myself till seeing this recently on the Thorn forum: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/ind ... pic=3900.0
I'm yet to find where they're asking for a birth date, but having lived in Germany its not a great surprise. The locals need to show an ausweis or identity card to complete a lot of day to day transactions that we in Aus would find an invasion of privacy. Their arguments include reduced credit risk and increased security.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 am

Slim wrote:They would have to deduct the VAT on exported goods or they would be in deep sheizen.
Well I went through to the charge to my PayPal account and the VAT included price was still there. If you can show how to not get it charged I am all ears. As I said, when I asked for an explanation I got no response.
I'm yet to find where they're asking for a birth date, but having lived in Germany its not a great surprise.
Try placing an order; it is a required field along with your name and address etc . Neither Starbike.com or Bike24.net ask for a birth date, so I am still not seeing any justification for it and frankly I am not that stupid to provide it. I never provide my birthdate or any other such identity information without a damn good lawful reason. Even told work to go jump when the Singaporean Education department wanted my passport number to be given on paper and passed through numerous peoples hands, i.e., no security at all and with no justification at all to collect it.

Andrew
Andrew

Slim

Postby Slim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:59 am

Aushiker wrote:
Well I went through to the charge to my PayPal account and the VAT included price was still there. If you can show how to not get it charged I am all ears. As I said, when I asked for an explanation I got no response.
Can only assume they are pocketing the VAT on exports. May explain why there was no response. :shock:
Try placing an order; it is a required field along with your name and address etc . Neither Starbike.com or Bike24.net ask for a birth date, so I am still not seeing any justification for it and frankly I am not that stupid to provide it. I never provide my birthdate or any other such identity information without a damn good lawful reason. Even told work to go jump when the Singaporean Education department wanted my passport number to be given on paper and passed through numerous peoples hands, i.e., no security at all and with no justification at all to collect it.
I share the same sentiment so no argument.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Slim wrote:Can only assume they are pocketing the VAT on exports. May explain why there was no response. :shock:
Not the first place. Have had a New Zealand mob do that and it is not uncommon on eBay (European retailers) and with the odd small UK retailer to do it as well. Pity as they could be competitive as long as the postage is not to bad.

Andrew
Andrew

Slim

Postby Slim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Slim wrote:Can only assume they are pocketing the VAT on exports. May explain why there was no response. :shock:
Not the first place. Have had a New Zealand mob do that and it is not uncommon on eBay (European retailers) and with the odd small UK retailer to do it as well. Pity as they could be competitive as long as the postage is not to bad.

Andrew

Rotor is another alternative that maybe worth a go : http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

Check out the Online Store and go to Hubs ...

Given the state of the Euro even their bikes are beginning to look affordable.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:35 pm

il padrone wrote:No problem.

Pic of said grip.

Sorry to drag you back pages.
I need a mirror for my GC3 grips (R/H/S)
Baalzamon suggests Ian at Flyingfurniture has one if I'm reading it right.
I assumed it was the Mirrorcle mirror and gave Ian a ring there but it appears I've got it wrong as he says that mirror plugs into the end
of the handlebars.
Can someone clarify which mirror is suitable for the Ergon GC3 and where to get it?
Cheers
Aidan :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Hey

Well flyingfurniture provided me with 2 of the Busch & Mueller cyclestar mirrors that came with my recumbent but they are not listed on his website. Since I broke my mirror on my Masi I pinched one off my Bacchetta and I need to order a 2nd one. I'll shoot ian an email and see if he can provide them, otherwise I'm ordering from sjscycles.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Hey

Well flyingfurniture provided me with 2 of the Busch & Mueller cyclestar mirrors that came with my recumbent but they are not listed on his website. Since I broke my mirror on my Masi I pinched one off my Bacchetta and I need to order a 2nd one. I'll shoot ian an email and see if he can provide them, otherwise I'm ordering from sjscycles.
Hiya,
my mistake.
I hadnt absorbed the fact that they were Busch & Mueller cyclestar mirrors for some reason (despite IP listing it in his gear list).
I was obviously asking Iam about the wrong model which created the confusion.
I'll give him a ring tomorrow and clarify.
I've reread now and also see it is the short version.
Thanks for clearing that up for me - much appreciated

Cheers
Aidan

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Baalzamon,
did you get a price and availability from Ian?
Cheers
Aidan :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 pm

rifraf wrote:Hi Baalzamon,
did you get a price and availability from Ian?
Cheers
Aidan :)
$35 and stock expected next week. Expect to pay $5-10 shipping with flyingfurniture
sjscycles $36 shipped, or $60 for 2 shipped and then 500gram satchel for $6.60 That is if you want to be tight fisted and save a few $$$ :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
$35 and stock expected next week. Expect to pay $5-10 shipping with flyingfurniture
sjscycles $36 shipped, or $60 for 2 shipped and then 500gram satchel for $6.60 That is if you want to be tight fisted and save a few $$$ :)
Thank You :!: :!: :!: :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:27 pm

rifraf wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
Thank You :!: :!: :!: :)
:!: :!: :!: :!:
Just got an email from flyingfurniture, they are on a short break until 2nd Feb. Long Aussie day celebration! OK sending you a pm

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Just got an email from flyingfurniture, they are on a short break until 2nd Feb. Long Aussie day celebration! OK sending you a pm
You can get them from St Kilda Cycles.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...