HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs

GWH74

HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs

Postby GWH74 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi

I am looking at buying a trike and the HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs is on my list.
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/s ... ils_e.html
Just wanted to know if anyone has one of these or knows of someone who has one?
Would like some local feedback about them.
I know they are expensive and heavy, but I do like the idea of suspension for the choppy Adelaide roads and bike paths.

Will try and get a test ride in Oz or in Europe when I am there in late April.

Thanks

}SkOrPn--7

Re: HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 am

Since no one has chimed in that brand is well respected and from talk/reviews around the web not too many folks are disappointed and enjoy that model. I'm sorry but I can't offer any further as I don't know anyone with one.

Go here and ask the same question lots of folks over there have got one or had one.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php

ICE also brings out a full suspension trike or the rear is a dampener just for another option.

http://www.icetrikes.co/

Just to give you feedback on Adelaide roads and paths I have no need to worry about a full suspension trike I run Big Apple tyres by Schwalbe and they are able to absorb and remove allot of the bumps along with frame flex. So from my point of view using a trike around Adelaide I have no concerns with ruff roads and paths and feel very little in the way of ruff rides so unless you need full suspension for another reason it's a added cost I feel you don't need.

william

Postby william » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 am

I have to agree to what Skorp says too.
HP Velotechnic are renowned for their engineering first and their bikes have had a great following in Germany and Europe. They don't aim to be a racer but will carry you and your luggage all over the planet. Of course there is a premium for this but you will have peace of mind it will get you there.
ICE trikes are another with design heritage. If you look at their video about their full suspended models where the camera is mounted to the cross frame you can see the wheels moving up and down on the imperfect surfaces and the camera is steady as a rock. It made me interested. Most of them fold too.
If you're in Canberra, Flying Furniture has some in stock for testing. Give them a call first though.

william

GWH74

Postby GWH74 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks for your reply's. I have been looking at the ICE trikes as well but for the small price difference the Scorpion has a better suspension designed and some other nice features.
I was looking for a good all round trike. One to ride to work during the week on the road and paths, as well as quick spin on the flat and through the hills on the weekends.
I have also been thinking of something like a Performer JC20. Been waiting for a few more reviews to pop up. Last thing I wanted was to get a trike that has a harsh ride and aggravates a back issue.
At least if a did get a JC20 and then sold it I would not loos too much money.

Before i did commit i would go over to Canberra and try a few different trikes, also will try and get a ride when I an in Europe. I will try a couple of Velomobiles while I am over there but if I like them too much then my bank account won't like me.

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 pm

If you can time your Europe trip well - the test track at SPEZI will give you a chance to play on quite a few bikes and trikes. If your in the UK (well scotland to be specific!) David at laid back cycles (www.laid-back-bikes.co.uk) should be able to help out with a few trike models to test. If your in Amsterdam contact Gerhard at Ligfietswinkel Amsterdam (www.ligfietswinkel.nl ) - an impressive fleet of HPVs he hires out. Cheers Alex

GWH74

Postby GWH74 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 am

Been looking into the SPEZI bike show and I pass through the German town the day before the show starts, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
My cruse finishes on the morning of the last day of the show so I am try to work out transportation to get back up to the show.
If I am travelling 1/2 way around the world I would be mad not to travel a couple of 100Ks up the road for this sort of event.
If I make it I will post some pictures.

Gareth

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:41 am

I don't know about the Scorpion FS, but I have long been attracted to the Grasshopper FS, and have spent some time researching it. The quality and engineering of HP VeloTechnik machines seems impeccable. The price I've had to grapple with, as the Grasshopper FS gets quite expensive with my prefered options.

If I had the opportunity to buy in Europe, I'd definitely want to take advantage.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 am

Had a look and feel of the Scorpion FS when I was in Canberra. Did not get a chance to ride as it was already sold, did give the Sprint FS and Adventure FS a good go though and the simple suspension that ICE uses does a very good job of soaking up bad bumps and roads.

Compared to the ICE they feel big and heavy - at the end of the day you will find that the size can be an issue with maneuverablility. I suggest you try out the Adventure FS or Sprint FS, much more nimble. You will suffer in the hills with the HPV - I would definately recommend the suspension if you are riding on less than perfect surfaces, my un-suspended Vortex on 28mm rubber is a fairly brutal ride on chipseal roads.

If you want to save yourself some bucks the Catrike Road with rear suspension is quite decent and half the price - no folding though.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:45 pm

I agree with Phil's comments.

I have a 2011 Vortex FS and the full suspension is just superb for chipseal and the harsh high frequency vibration I used to experience on my Greenspeed GT5 with no suspension.....

As Phil says, try before you buy !!

If you are near Geelong way you are most welcome to come and try my Vortex !!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Ronk is looking at the Grasshopper 2 wheeler, not trike
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Ronk is looking at the Grasshopper 2 wheeler, not trike
I don't think the replies were intend for me Baalzamon. I was just giving my take on HPVelotechnik products in general...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:01 pm

RonK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Ronk is looking at the Grasshopper 2 wheeler, not trike
I don't think the replies were intend for me Baalzamon. I was just giving my take on HPVelotechnik products in general...
Ah
Well was a bit of a thread revival (Jan 25 to now) your post so got me thinking you were looking at taking the bent plunge, and no spezi pics either from the op. Would love to know if he did get his trike now or not

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well was a bit of a thread revival (Jan 25 to now) your post so got me thinking you were looking at taking the bent plunge, and no spezi pics either from the op.
Hmmm, I didn't realise I'd picked up an older thread - not sure how I did that. The Grasshopper has been on the wish list for several years but with my current oversupply of bikes I can't see myself getting one anytime soon. And there is still the matter of a BMW R1200 GS Adventure waiting on the buy me list.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Hey RonK....

The Beemer is good until you try a Duke Multistrada S !!

The Multi is a brilliant all purpose machine and not a huge barge like the Beemer......

I have a KTM LC4 Adventure and was really tempted to get a Beemer but luckily I hurt my back so never took the plunge into the BMW lifestyle ;-)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Ah yes the Multistrada S Touring is so very, very tasty, as is the new Aprilia Caponord that is soon to be released. Even the Guzzi Stelvio has its appeal. None are quite as capable offroad as the big Beemer though.
It would be a lot of fun to round up a few sports bikes on the Multistrada.
There's an interesting read in Australian Motorcycle News featuring the Stelvio, Triumph Tiger and the Super Tenere.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Oh Boy and no it's not about bobsledding or the luge...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_PoOB9R ... r_embedded[/youtube]

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am

Sensational! What a wild idea...I'd like to try that...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

RonK wrote:Sensational! What a wild idea...I'd like to try that...
Oh Yeah! 36 hour adrenalin high 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 pm

I would attempt that on anything with wheels if it fitted down that luge that would be hours of fun.

Ricky

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 pm

I would have thought wheels might actually be slower than sliding

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:41 pm

What a hoot :D

Yes, probably slower than sliding on ice, but at least you have brakes (where's the chicken icon? :lol: )