Heffron Park 2012

AndrewBurns

Heffron Park 2012

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey all, I recently joined Dulwich Hill bicycle club and got my race licence for this year with the intention to get into some racing (road, track, crit, anything I can get to). I know that last year crit races were held at Heffron park on Saturdays, does anybody know when racing begins again this year? Are the races open to other clubs, what are the registration requirements etc. Would be nice if I could practice on the course before-hand too, does anybody know if that's possible? (I know it's just a walking track and available any time but I don't want to see walkers/dogs/kids etc when coming around a corner at speed). Thanks for your help!

mianos

Re: Heffron Park 2012

Postby mianos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Starts again, 14 Jan, 3pm. Get there at least an hour early to register first time because they'll want to copy your license and this is the first race of 2012 so I guess they'll want to see most everyone's.
Yes, the course is open beforehand but the juniors will be on the course so maybe go there another time like a Sunday or an evening.
Yes, there are dogs and people always walking around the course outside events but it's not usually a problem. The course is fairly open and wide enough in most places.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:46 pm

I haven't yet received my paper license although it's only been 13 days since I joined, would my receipt be enough proof for the race this weekend? I'm having some knee problems so I'm not sure that I'll be fit to ride at this point anyway but I'd love to if I'm able.

othy

Postby othy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Receipt is usually good enough at this time of the year. The course is pretty clear the hour before while the juniors are riding. As long as you stay out of their way I've never had an issue warming up around it.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Ok so I'm actually free this weekend and have my racing license etc. However I'm still technically recovering from a knee injury (knee feels fine riding to and from work now and I commute at nearly max pace) but I still want to race. How long are the races at heffron? What's the format for the lowest grade (C?) ? I'm telling myself that if it's not a super long race and I just want to stick in the bunch and get some experience under my belt but not throw it all into the sprints that it shouldn't be too hard on me...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Get some advice from Lindsay.

It's always wise to just sit at the back of the bunch for your first few races and carefully observe the interactions and tactics. Take a turn pulling and then roll back. Don't contest the sprint (requiring considerable self control) until you have observed and discussed the intricacies it with an old hand. A safe racer is a well respected and enduring racer.

BTW, D grade often have some senior racers and they can be very sneaky. They know all the tricks of the game but no longer have the high end power of 20-something. Observe and chat up with them and you'll learn heaps.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Ok so I'm actually free this weekend and have my racing license etc. However I'm still technically recovering from a knee injury (knee feels fine riding to and from work now and I commute at nearly max pace) but I still want to race. How long are the races at heffron? What's the format for the lowest grade (C?) ? I'm telling myself that if it's not a super long race and I just want to stick in the bunch and get some experience under my belt but not throw it all into the sprints that it shouldn't be too hard on me...
Races are typically about 30-50 minutes long - normally a fixed number of laps depending on grade, higher the grade the more laps and are scratch races (same grade races amongst themselves and all riders in that grade start at same time).

However A, B & C grade are on the race track at the same time and occasionally one grade will pass another (and different graded riders cannot interfere or ride with the other grades). Start for grades are pretty much at same time with about a minute between grades, finish is staggered so C will finish first, then B then A.

Heffron is good, teaches you a lot about riding a bike.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the help, I think that I'll be there in the lycra :P

I'll try to catch up to Lindsay and the other DHBC guys there but don't be offended if I have a hard time putting faces and names together still, it's something my brain just doesn't do :S

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:47 am

Hi Andrew,

There is a D grade and by your description of yourself this may be the best place to start for you. D grade will teach you what you need to know - cornering in a bunch, race tactics and bike handling skills so you can progress with confidence to the higher grades. D grade is 12 laps (24km) at about avg speed 31-32 km/h. can vary somehwat due to conditions and the riders on the day. If you find it too easy then try C grade.

As suggested - take your time, observe the other riders, know where you are on the track and the postion of other riders and you will pick up racing skills in no time at all.

Bring your license/receipt but dont turn up at 2.55pm for a 3pm start. Come early, sign on and go and have a few laps of the circuit.

If you need more advice i am usually there from about 2.15 and i am the big red headed bloke.

Beanzy
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks Beanzy, so if I get there around 2pm I'll have time to have a few laps of the circuit? Or should I be earlier? Really looking forward to it.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 am

So what happens if the weather is bad? It's cloudy with scattered showers today, had some rain near here but looks like sydney airport hasn't had any yet...

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 am

They call it off if it's too wet. It depends on the track conditions. Light drizzle may be ok but it's pouring at the moment!!!

I was planning on going but will now hope for better conditions tomorrow morning for the waterfall ride.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:23 pm

Well I guess at this point I'll still go with my bike to see if it's on but from what the BOM says there's been a lot of rain at the airport (7.2mm over the last hour or two).

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:41 pm

BOM's weather radar is your friend.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR033.loop.shtml

And if you check RBCC's web site, today's racing is cancelled.
http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Oh thanks for that, you saved me some driving. Oh well, always another weekend *resigns self to cleaning house*