Managing knee pain...?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
giffsa

Managing knee pain...?

Postby giffsa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:35 pm

hi all

hoping for some advice in managing some knee pain: i've been training for the alpine classic the last few months, doing plenty of hills work and a bunch of long rides (130-150km). in the last fortnight or so, i've notice some pain in one knee (right) that seems to develop later into longer rides. feels like it's towards the bottom of the kneecap. curiously, it doesn't give me any grief when i'm climbing, but i notice it develop as i'm rolling home after a hard ride, and can get quite painful towards the end it doesn't stick around once i'm off the bike, and i'm usually good to ride a day or two later.

in terms of the cause, i'm fairly sure it's just over training, as opposed to the bike setup. i've been riding this bike for about 18 months and haven't had any grief from it until now.

assuming it is the result of overtraining - does anyone have good advice on how to manage it leading up to, and during, alpine classic? obviously i can't stop riding altogether, i have to keep preparing for at least another week.but in terms of how to manage it during and after rides (both training and the ride itself) i'd be grateful for any advice. i haven't encountered this sort of problem before.

Cheers
Sam

ireland57

Re: Managing knee pain...?

Postby ireland57 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Knee problems can be caused by a lot of things; much of the time I need to stretch more consistently and it eases the problem significantly.
It causes problems in ways I'd never had thought of.

If you're doing longer rides lately it may well be bike setup. I.e. a particular setup can "do" us for certain distances and riding intensities and feel pretty decent but when we up the ante the setup is no longer good enough.

Nispro32

Postby Nispro32 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:08 am

I get knee pains too and it's usually because an overuse injury. Takes a while to recovery as the Dr says to rest it a few weeks to let it heal but i'm riding again after 5 days hahaha Can't bring myself to stop for such an extended period of time..

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Do you know if your cleat setup is correct? If you are standing straight do your feet point straight, duck footed or heels out?? ( im duck footed and cleats were setup straight for about a year of riding without knowing)