Toughest hill in South oz.

ajgool

Toughest hill in South oz.

Postby ajgool » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 pm

I've read on a few forums people asking for opinions on the toughest hill climbs in SA. I reckon MT Alma near Victor Harbor has got to go close.1.5 kms of sheer hell. If you are ever down south give it a go and post what u think. You turn right off inman valley road. Logically the road is called Mt Alma road, and the climb before u get to the Mount is challenging enough.(about 3kms) The only bummer is at the end of the Mount it turns to gravel, but the climb is worth it if you like hill climbs.

MichaelB

Re: Toughest hill in South oz.

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:04 am

See the sticky at the top of this thread.

To define tough, you need to state the distance of the climb, vertical gain, and hence the average gradient.

Depends on if steepness, length or combo of both is the key ingredient

ajgool

Postby ajgool » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 pm

sorry I wasn't looking for a science lesson. I was just looking to see if anyone had done Mt Alma. If I Wanted a Quote from Stephen Hawking I would have asked him. Is there anyone who has ridden this hill so we can compare suffering.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:11 pm

ajgool wrote:sorry I wasn't looking for a science lesson. I was just looking to see if anyone had done Mt Alma. If I Wanted a Quote from Stephen Hawking I would have asked him. Is there anyone who has ridden this hill so we can compare suffering.
Welcome top the forum ajgool :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:09 pm

ajgool wrote:sorry I wasn't looking for a science lesson. I was just looking to see if anyone had done Mt Alma. If I Wanted a Quote from Stephen Hawking I would have asked him. Is there anyone who has ridden this hill so we can compare suffering.
What medication did you miss taking ?

Oh, and btw, no haven't cycled Mt Alma, so since I don't know how tough it is, can you provide some data to show us how tough it is ?

alex

Postby alex » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:28 pm

in the metro area it would have to be sheoak road or the caroline path
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

ajgool

Postby ajgool » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
What medication did you miss taking ?

Oh, and btw, no haven't cycled Mt Alma, so since I don't know how tough it is, can you provide some data to show us how tough it is ?
Sorry mate, my wife just gave me my meds and now i'm good as gold. Just kidding. sorry about the sarcy comment, I'm just not too good with facts and figures. The only info on MT Alma is a sign saying 17% just b4 u start climb. But as u know those things can be wrong. I don't have a great computer on board, just speed and distance etc. I Reckon there would be heaps of guys who would love to climb this bugger, but don't know about it.

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:06 pm

A guy I know who has previously raced internationally used to train by doing 4x repeats at a time up Mt Alma.

I'm yet to ride it myself but I have driven up it once and it honestly felt like the car was going to top over backwards in some parts - it's that steep! LOL

ajgool

Postby ajgool » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Weasel wrote:A guy I know who has previously raced internationally used to train by doing 4x repeats at a time up Mt Alma.

I'm yet to ride it myself but I have driven up it once and it honestly felt like the car was going to top over backwards in some parts - it's that steep! LOL
Yeah that's what it feels like on the bike as well. The rev heads use it once a year for the annual state hillclimb championships. the biggest pain is riding from goolwa to get there b4 u go up the bloody thing. about 49kms. the ride back home hurts like a bitch.

PA

Postby PA » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 pm

ajgool wrote: the ride back home hurts like a bitch.
and don't you just love it.
Mouse magnet

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Where is Mt Alma?

PA

Postby PA » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:29 pm

It's out from Victor Harbor on the Inman Valley road. Have fun.

http://www.bikemap.net/route/1390422
Mouse magnet

ajgool

Postby ajgool » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:11 am

PA u sound like a sadist. or is that a masochist. I think you have to be both to love cycling. Gotta love that hill.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 am

Coach Rd (eastern end of the Parade) was hard work this morning, just keeps getting steeper... Bikemap.net says it is a 250m climb over 3km and it is close to town.