Recommended Bike Grease?

trippyho

Recommended Bike Grease?

Postby trippyho » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:54 am

Hi all, i'm about to install my new crankset and bottom bracket and was wondering what would be the best recommended bike grease to use?

I found this on Pushys the Michelin 1kg Lithium bike grease http://www.pushys.com.au/michelin-1kg-l ... rease.html for $11.99 (Image below) but not sure if it's any good or if suitable for the application. If anyone has experience and can point me to a good grease to use it would be greatly appreciated.

Also would I need to use a grease gun or can I just get away with just smearing it on with my fingers?

familyguy

Re: Recommended Bike Grease?

Postby familyguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 am

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=48228

If you can get the Michelin for that price, do it, its a bargain. Whether its better, worse or in-line with the Castrol stuff, I can't tell you cause I don't know.

I use my fingers. There's probably a sound medical reason not to, so maybe some latex gloves, they're pretty cheap.

Jim

koen

Postby koen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:45 am

Yeah sounds like a good price. I just use Castrol axle greae from an auto store. Had the same tub for years.
I also have a couple of old 20ml plastic syringes ...you could buy them at chemist... and fill them with grease....with my fingers.
They just make it easy to put a line of grease into a bearing cup or loosen some cones and add some grease.
No doubt others have some different systems

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 pm

I use castrol marine grease. A 500g tub should out last you. (add up how often you are going to grease components on your bike and how much you use each time.)
Also, not a good idea to get lithium grease (or any grease probably) on your fingers. A race car engineer friend told me about his monkeys getting lithium toxicity (confirmed by blood tests) from handling the stuff. So get a box of disposable gloves from Woolies, like 25 pairs for ~$3.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Phil wood grease for anything good (campy/dura ace). Recycles (kerbside finds/builds for beer,etc ) get axle grease.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Like koen and Paw Paw, Castrol marine and a syringe.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 pm

PawPaw wrote:A race car engineer friend told me about his monkeys getting lithium toxicity (confirmed by blood tests) from handling the stuff.
level of exposure for a weekend bike mechanic is a little bit different to a full timer...

I am a big fan of gloves though - peel em off and clean hands! Getting the grease stains from around your fingernails sucks.

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:33 am

PawPaw wrote:A race car engineer friend told me about his monkeys getting lithium toxicity (confirmed by blood tests) from handling the stuff. So get a box of disposable gloves from Woolies, like 25 pairs for ~$3.
Thanks for telling me. I was prepared to handle it straight by hand LOL.

Seems like most people are saying the Castrol marine grease, hope it will be okay with 105 components :).

Will pay my local super cheap a visit this afternoon. Cheers :)

notwal

Postby notwal » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:02 pm

It's good for you if you are bipolar. :D
judged, insulted, gone

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:29 pm

notwal wrote:It's good for you if you are bipolar. :D
hmmm....you'd only know that from personal experience, or being a medico. :)