Port Stephens road cycling options

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Going to be spending a few days up at Port Stephens over the holidays and will have my bike up. Wondering what options I'll have for a good early morning route before the family wakes up.

Any suggestion and advice on riding up there? Know of a nice 50-80km route? We'll be located at Corlette. Thanks in advance.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

simonn

Re: Port Stephens road cycling options

Postby simonn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:57 pm

sogood wrote: Any suggestion and advice on riding up there?
This is the way I rode up at Easter (one of the links should work at any given time - I hope):

http://www.bikemap.net/route/933492
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Fr ... Nelson-Bay

Reasonably easy ride once you get into West Gosford it is more or less flat by Sydney standards. Fernleigh Track (from Belmont) is a place to cruise not to go fast - there is a bubbler at the beginning of it. Riding over that big bridge out of Stockton is a bit weird.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks Simon. I will be lazier than you and won't be riding up. I'll be based in Corlette and ride around it. Did you find any interesting routes whilst up there? The area looked pretty flat and there appears only the single main road in and out of the area, one that goes in front of Williamstown airforce base.

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm

sogood wrote:Thanks Simon. I will be lazier than you and won't be riding up. I'll be based in Corlette and ride around it. Did you find any interesting routes whilst up there? The area looked pretty flat and there appears only the single main road in and out of the area, one that goes in front of Williamstown airforce base.
I'll be going up in January for 10 Days.We stay at Shoal Bay.I normally ride to Fingal Bay, either on road or bike path then back through shoal bay to nelson bay, and out to Soldiers Point.A fair bit of it is on bike paths.Once at soldiers point i come back through Salamander then tackle the big Hill,Up to the Nelson Bay lookout.Back to shoal bay is a 40-50K route.
Sogood,if you want to get some detailed cycle path maps, pop into Nelson Bay, to the tourist centre near the Marina, and they have them for free.I just putter about on the flat bar, don't take my road bikes as it is more leisurly riding to keep the legs turning over , rather than a heavy effort, and a few rides with the wife and son.
I do tend to sneak out early most mornings for extra though :D

Hope that helps.Tim

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks Tim. I'll certainly check out the Tourist Info Centre for more leisurely notes.

Been plotting on Google maps and thinking of doing the big U to Mallabula from Corlette. Should be at least 50km round trip with some padding. But that Lemon Tree Passage Rd looked a bit boring.

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 pm

sogood wrote:Thanks Tim. I'll certainly check out the Tourist Info Centre for more leisurely notes.

Been plotting on Google maps and thinking of doing the big U to Mallabula from Corlette. Should be at least 50km round trip with some padding. But that Lemon Tree Passage Rd looked a bit boring.
Yeah, they get some bad prangs on the Nelson Bay Road/speed related,wear high vis to be seen if you can.I just putter about up there cause i am in relax mode with the family :D :D

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks again for the warning Tim. I had "holiday crowd" and "party kids" in the back of my mind too. Maybe I'll temper my ambitious ride plan a bit.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 am

TimW wrote:I'll be going up in January for 10 Days.We stay at Shoal Bay
me too :) although will be staying in fingal.

Have been going there for 30 years but funnily enough have never ridden. Contemplating taking the bike this time.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:27 am

JV911 wrote:

Have been going there for 30 years but funnily enough have never ridden. Contemplating taking the bike this time.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Never ridden up there????? wow.
We take the van up each year and stay at The Shoal Bay van Park,we started off at Fingal, and will probably end up back there again,it's a beautiful part of the world.If you see a dude on a red trek flatbar, say Hi !!!! :D :D

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 am

sogood wrote:Did you find any interesting routes whilst up there? The area looked pretty flat and there appears only the single main road in and out of the area, one that goes in front of Williamstown airforce base.
I didn't do any riding once I was up there (only for 3 days). It was not particularly pleasant riding after Newcastle. Continually busy and not particularly wide lanes or shoulders - enough, but only just. I also had knee problems so decided not to ride back.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:51 am

Ummm... Sounding more and more like a pleasure ride. :roll:

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:12 pm

sogood wrote:Ummm... Sounding more and more like a pleasure ride. :roll:
the roads are not particularly good for longer rides i.e. single carriageway, no shoulder, 80-100km zones

TimW wrote:Never ridden up there?????
we used to have a catamaran and a tinnie up there so it was either sailing, fishin' or surfing
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:54 pm

I've looked at this in the past and if your interested in doing that many K's it means that you have to use Nelson Bay Rd. A search brought up this ride http://sandbox.mapmyride.com/ride/austr ... 4242171521 but I'm not 100% sure that all of the road thru Medowie State Forest is completely sealed.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks again guys. I'll see what kind of road I find on the way there. I'll do a bit more if I can find quieter roads, away from those main roads.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:10 pm

JV911 wrote:

OMGosh, I have spent 20 years christmas holidays in Fingal.
My ride would Consist of going to soldiers point, and anna bay return which would be about 60km every morning.
Boring as bat shiit but makes you strong
Last edited by Apple on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:13 pm

sogood wrote:Thanks again guys. I'll see what kind of road I find on the way there. I'll do a bit more if I can find quieter roads, away from those main roads.
there is a back road going to Soldier Point along the coast, One sharp hill coming back, and it is a beauty.Love that ride.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Fingal Bay NSW

1. Head north-east on Boulder Bay Rd towards Marine Drive
8 m
2. Take the 1st left on to Marine Drive
2.0 km
3. Marine Drive turns slightly right and becomes Government Rd
1.3 km
4. Turn left onto Shoal Bay Rd
Go through 1 roundabout
2.2 km
5. Slight left onto Victoria Parade
Go through 1 roundabout
1.1 km
6. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Government Rd
1.6 km
7. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Sandy Point Rd
2.5 km
8. Turn right onto Foreshore Drive
1.8 km
9. Turn right to stay on Foreshore Drive
1.0 km and keep going till you get to the end of the road beautiful view.
come back via Anna Bay and one mile beach

Soldiers Point RdSalamander Bay NSW 2317

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Apple wrote:
sogood wrote:Thanks again guys. I'll see what kind of road I find on the way there. I'll do a bit more if I can find quieter roads, away from those main roads.
there is a back road going to Soldier Point along the coast, One sharp hill coming back, and it is a beauty.Love that ride.
I agree Apple, very nice ride :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:34 pm

TimW wrote:
Apple wrote:
I agree Apple, very nice ride :D
Yes it really is, you could make it as long as you like by adding One mile beach and Anna bay.
This is the first year I am not going. I wish I was, but that holiday house has been sold. :(

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Excellent Apple. Will scout around and find that hill. Just realised all the dinner options have been booked out there tomorrow night. Have to alternate solutions for the carbo load. :roll:

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:06 pm

sogood wrote:Excellent Apple. Will scout around and find that hill. Just realised all the dinner options have been booked out there tomorrow night. Have to alternate solutions for the carbo load. :roll:
Yes you have to book early in Nelson.
The Hill is on Government road just after the round about from Victoria Pde in Nelson bay going towards Corlette, it's a great decent, short and fast, on your way back it is short up and steep.
The other hill is on Marine Drive going to Fingal beach, just follow the beach and then you go up a hill, continue down and rejoin marine drive and then Rocky point road which will take you back to Marine Drive, shoal Bay, government road. (not the same government road as the hill)
Check on Google maps.
The road in One Mile beach has a new Surface, and is easy to ride on.
I hope this is not to confusing. :?

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:44 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I've looked at this in the past and if your interested in doing that many K's it means that you have to use Nelson Bay Rd. A search brought up this ride http://sandbox.mapmyride.com/ride/austr ... 4242171521 but I'm not 100% sure that all of the road thru Medowie State Forest is completely sealed.
The only problem with going out too far, Salt Ash and all that area, is that it is bogenvilla land and has lots of P palate drivers without a license, many have spent time in the juvenile detention centre, or have escaped, so I would stay well clear of that area, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Been really enjoying it up here. Weather has been great and the riding is really good:) will share the rodes/loops upon return. I feel safe riding up here and it has been a pleasant change from riding in Sydney.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-32.720229,152.171963

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Must be hard to get a site there this time of year Tim. last time we took the van there was late Feb / early Mar and it was still pretty chock a block. You either book a year in advance or the wife goes in to ask " any vacant sites?" wearing the " shopping suit"!! :P Enjoy. M7 cycleway was asking where you were this morning :)
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

TimW

Postby TimW » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:52 am

hey Sandy, hope your healing well.We book the same site each year and take our van,started off at Fingal but missed out 5 years ago and managed to get into Shoal. Been here ever since in a nice quiet part of the park. Give my best wishes to the M7C, and tell her i will be back soon to give her a pounding :) Tim

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-32.720239,152.172024