Riding in SA– Mount Pleasant killer truck & lesson learn't

NBSE2

Riding in SA– Mount Pleasant killer truck & lesson learn't

Postby NBSE2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Last year while in Adelaide for the tour down under, riding down Mount Pleasant towards Mannum, I had a logging truck just appear out of no where and come up beside me, (It was a downhill section, this guy was not using his air brakes – just silent!) front wheel within an inch of my elbow, and once the cabin passed me, while looking at the side mirror, screaming my head off, saw this guy yank the steering wheel and turn the truck into me. I was actually at the side of a mound (if any knows Mount Pleasant, towards the bottom there is no shoulder just a mound and a lot of dirt and debris on the ground) which actually encroaches on the road – thats the shoulder. There is no where to go at that section of the road. The back wheels just missed. Being in shock, I could not get the rear plate number. It was Victorian and all dirty. But the name on the back of the trailor read either “symantos”/”symbion”/”symantic”. The SA Police were not interested as a) it is a truck and they are difficult to handle on a road as tight as Mount Pleasant (their excuse) and b) I had no number plate number to give them. Mind you this guy did it to a group of us all strung out along this road. None of us got the plate.
1. Would anyone know of a trucking company, Victorian or otherwise with a name per the above, or know how to do a search? (I tried a search engine without success)
2. I recommend out of this a simple video cam that people can install on their handlebars to record their ride / so if someone tries to “kill” (which is what it was) then you have it on record. You can get them for around $100.
3. If you ever ride, whether in Adelaide or anywhere do your research and steer clear of roads that are frequented by trucks.
4. Always ride in a straight line. Pick a line and stick to. Dont deviate.

Any help appreciated.
If interested the truck was one with a full bonnet - blue in colour.

exadios

Re: Riding in SA– Mount Pleasant killer truck & lesson learn

Postby exadios » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:09 pm

NBSE2 wrote:Last year while in Adelaide for the tour down under, riding down Mount Pleasant towards Mannum, I had a logging truck just appear out of no where and come up beside me, (It was a downhill section, this guy was not using his air brakes – just silent!) front wheel within an inch of my elbow, and once the cabin passed me, while looking at the side mirror, screaming my head off, saw this guy yank the steering wheel and turn the truck into me. I was actually at the side of a mound (if any knows Mount Pleasant, towards the bottom there is no shoulder just a mound and a lot of dirt and debris on the ground) which actually encroaches on the road – thats the shoulder. There is no where to go at that section of the road. The back wheels just missed. Being in shock, I could not get the rear plate number. It was Victorian and all dirty. But the name on the back of the trailor read either “symantos”/”symbion”/”symantic”. The SA Police were not interested as a) it is a truck and they are difficult to handle on a road as tight as Mount Pleasant (their excuse) and b) I had no number plate number to give them. Mind you this guy did it to a group of us all strung out along this road. None of us got the plate.
1. Would anyone know of a trucking company, Victorian or otherwise with a name per the above, or know how to do a search? (I tried a search engine without success)
2. I recommend out of this a simple video cam that people can install on their handlebars to record their ride / so if someone tries to “kill” (which is what it was) then you have it on record. You can get them for around $100.
3. If you ever ride, whether in Adelaide or anywhere do your research and steer clear of roads that are frequented by trucks.
4. Always ride in a straight line. Pick a line and stick to. Dont deviate.

Any help appreciated.
If interested the truck was one with a full bonnet - blue in colour.
I would make the police take interest if I were you.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:14 am

This was a year ago?

NBSE2

Postby NBSE2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 am

yes it was. Dealt with with the cops first, then a particulat rourism operator who was to investogate but did nothing and the SA tourism who again, not interest. Its taken that long to get to this point frankly!

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:06 am

I don't get it. Your elbow was one inch from the front wheel, and then the driver swung into you? What less than an inch? And then you wait 12 months before posting it?

I am sorry you had a scary experience with a truck, sounds awful. Not sure that I agree with your advice to not deviate from a straight line. Especially if that straight line is parallel with a trucks vector 1 inch from my elbow...

Good luck with your investigation
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:32 am

A lot of trucks frequent that road and most drivers are pretty good, sounds like the OP had a dodgy experience, why SA Tourism or a "particular tourism operator" would be in the least bit interested escapes me.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 pm

NBSE2 wrote:I had a logging truck just appear.....

......It was Victorian and all dirty. But the name on the back of the trailor read either “symantos”/”symbion”/”symantic”.
:?

Logging trucks aren't reknowned for their manners. Even more, they are not reknowned for having the transport operator's name (or anything much) daubed all over the back of their rigs. Mostly it's just bark and dust.

Tht name could have been the brand of shocks used, his preferred computer virus protection, or the name of his favorite Canadian water polo team.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."