Bringing food to japan

paolo_ski

Bringing food to japan

Postby paolo_ski » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:38 pm

I have heard that the price of food over in Japan is quite high, so I was thinking of bringing a bunch of muesli bars and other energy/snacky foods (nuts, chocolate, tuna maybe) to keep me going between meals. Is this against the quarantine laws? Does anybody know what I can and can't bring with me? I will be there for about 15 days.

Regards, Paolo

timbo

Re: Bringing food to japan

Postby timbo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 am

You will definitely have to declare it on the incoming passenger form for customs, but generally with commercial packaged food, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
If it was home cooked and self wrapped, then good luck.

WestcoastPete

Bringing food to japan

Postby WestcoastPete » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Whoa! You're going to Japan and want to take food? They've got some of the best food in the world in all sorts of forms, and I wouldn't say it's expensive.

I'd say don't worry about it and have fun trying all the cool stuff you can get over there...

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Bringing food to japan

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:46 pm

What's good about Japan is that you can eat very little and spend a lot or eat a lot and spend very little. Unlike Australia, everything is pretty pricey where even Maccas and KFC is expensive here. Over there, kaiden sushi (those sushi train) can be had for ¥100 a plate. Sure they aren't huge plates but you can't complain. Quality is there too.

Then there's the 24hr convenience stores everywhere selling assorted rice stuff. I don't know what you call them in English but they are wrapped up to be eaten on the go without mess.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:46 pm

paolo_ski wrote:I have heard that the price of food over in Japan is quite high, so I was thinking of bringing a bunch of muesli bars and other energy/snacky foods (nuts, chocolate, tuna maybe) to keep me going between meals. Is this against the quarantine laws? Does anybody know what I can and can't bring with me? I will be there for about 15 days.

Regards, Paolo
Eating in Japan is not expensive. It is actually quite cheap depending on where you go. We found Japan have cheap food but tranport and accommodation can be expensive. I recommend checking out convenience stores. The best foor can be found at 7-11. Lawson and Family Mart are not the best places to find food. Check out departmenatal stores after 6pm and you might find some bargains on cooked food.
As for eating out, you must be smart about it. Tokyo is cheaper than food capitals like Osaka and Kyoto. Expect to spend about 700 yen for a meal in Tokyo and maybe about 900 yen in Kyoto. You can have a plate of Soba for about 400 yen. The thing you will struggle to find in Japan is good bread and coffee. Artisan bead is almost no-existant.
You can bring in snack foods, but why would you. Japanese rice biscuits are so much better than anything you will find here. Energy food? I survived on red bean buns and I managed to cover more than 600km and 7 mountain climbs in three days from eating red bean buns. They are like 120yen each and can be found at any convenience store.
Back to bringing food to Japan, I am 100% sure you can't bring meat into Japan

Jon

herzog

Bringing food to japan

Postby herzog » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:23 pm

Food in Japan is cheap cheap cheap. And very good.

The belief that it's expensive is a bit of an urban myth from the 1980s.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:09 pm

i echo the sentiments of "japan is cheap, explore"

especially all the cool snacks at the convenience stores.

watch out for these bad boys though, they're a bit weird:

it's icecream jim, but not as we know it.

and as far as taking stuff in, unless you're taking ridiculous amounts and looking REALLY shifty, you won't have to worry about customs, they'll just wave you through.
inflammatory statement or idea

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

as others said its cheap as! and yummy! screw tuna! live it up over there!

go to the little ramen bars - super cheap and way more than i could ever eat.

the highway truck stops also have the most amazing food! yummm
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

David_G

Postby David_G » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Just tell em they're whale meat bars and you'll be straight through.
I just love riding my bike!

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Schmenz wrote:go to the little ramen bars - super cheap and way more than i could ever eat.
YES!

and the street-side gyoza dumpling dudes, check them out too!
Schmenz wrote:the highway truck stops also have the most amazing food! yummm
YES!

I had some amazing deer & mushroom sausages in hokkaido, and there was a guy cooking these deep fried fish shaped things, i didn't eat them, but what a performer, he was a whiz with the chopsticks.
inflammatory statement or idea

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

only advice...dont eat the takoyaki (octopus balls) at tokyo tower... i vomitted the whole walk home. elsewhere they were delish tho!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Are you mad?
One of the best things about Japan is the food.
Fairly cheap healthy tasty ,