Transport ACROSS Tassie

stryker84

Transport ACROSS Tassie

Postby stryker84 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:23 am

Heya,
just speculating, no plans forthis anytime soon, but was considering a trip to Hobart, and was thinking that cycling in and around the city might be an idea. Heard the Spirit of Tasmania will let me bring the bike across.

I'm no long distance tourer, just want to be able make the casual day trip in and around Hobart. So will need a way to get the bike from Devonport to Hobart. Is this even possible? Or should I look at hiring a bike instead?

I know in VIC I can toss the bike onto the V-Line trains, but since Tassie has no passenger train services...

Cheers.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:24 am

Pair of floaties and a high cadence - you'll be right :D

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:13 pm

If the bike is ridable the Spirit of Tasmania allows bikes on. They are free and they go down with the cars. They used to ask if you could tie them to the roo bar of a truck to stop the bike moving around. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

There is a bus line that runs (Redline I think from memory) around Tassie. They used to allow bikes if they could fit them on. If you box the bike it shouldn't be an issue, but I would recommend checking with them first as it's been awhile since I was there.

drawn2mel

Postby drawn2mel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:48 am

mmm, :?: i just got off the spirit of tas and i was quoted $25 bucks for bikes, mine were attatched to a car though so they were free.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:10 pm

been looking it up,

thanks for the heads up abt Redline, bicyclewa. they charge $25 per sector journey, and the bike can travel fully assembled, apparently. (though i think i'll likely disengage the wheels anyway).
as for Spirit of Tassie, they're free if you have a motor vehicle you can tie the bikes to. else they're um, $21, i think. since there's some sort of rebate, apparently for bringing a self-powered vehicle as yoiur only means of transport (sounds like some pollution-control encouragement)

cheers everyone!

master6

Re: Transport ACROSS Tassie

Postby master6 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:26 pm

How did it go Stryker?