How much do you eat and how often

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
vander

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby vander » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Big diet. How did you get your BMR? FYI online calculators are extremely inaccurate.

How much weight have you lost already? At that rate you should be losing a few kg a week?

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 pm

My diet usually looks something like this:

Breakfast: a couple of pieces of fruit, something carby (fruitloaf, rye bread w/cheese, english muffins, etc.), sometimes an OJ or Milo
(optional mid morning): Protein shake (usually only if I've gone for a ride)
lunch: fryup (potato, mushrooms, eggs, vege sausages) or falafel pita w/hommus & veg
afternoon snacks: 4-6 pieces of fruit, couple of teas/coffees, enough nuts to stave off hunger
dinner: vege curry/chili/something, on brown rice (~2 cups of each)
late night snack: rye bread w/cheese, or cheese on crackers.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 pm

vander wrote:Big diet. How did you get your BMR? FYI online calculators are extremely inaccurate.

How much weight have you lost already? At that rate you should be losing a few kg a week?
lol did you even read any other entries, I stated how to get your BMR
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:38 am

vander wrote:Big diet. How did you get your BMR? FYI online calculators are extremely inaccurate.

I lost 23 kg over the 23 weeks starting 1/12/10. then put 5 back on over winter 2011, plateaued, and have lost 3.5 in the last 3 weeks. but some of that is bound to be lower glyocgen and water.

2700-1500 = 1200 Cal daily deficit = 8400 Cals / week = around 1.1 kg a week.

For BMR estimate, I use regression analysis to find an average of the New Oxford equations developed by CJK Henry (used by WHO and FAO), and Miflin St Jeor's. These two correlate fairly nicely across a broader range of adult body sizes. I then make a correction for estimated excess body fat %, considering fat has a lower BMR than lean tissue.

In any event, the variation between the more common BMR regression equations does not create as much variance, as the inaccuracies in estimating energy expended by exercise using whole number METS, and the poor ability of dieters to stick to designated portions.

I also started Oroxine 1.5 weeks ago due to a burned out thyroid gland (you get old and shlt happens). Read up on what a lack of thyroid hormone does when you are trying to cut excess body fat.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:46 am

Abby wrote:Great read Addictr3 - very interesting stuff.

I know I'm taking a much simpler approach at the moment. My focus is on total calorie expenditure, and not worrying too much about the macronutrient balance. But as I sadi - my focus is on weight-loss rather than performance. I know that in a month or so when I'm closer to my goal, and I start to ramp up my mileage (currently only about 100-150km/week), that macronutrient balance will become appreciably more important...

Again, thanks. :D

Cheers,
Abby
I am with you Abby, it was a great read, I am not focusing so much on teh macronutrient balance as I know what I am eating and I am using calorie king for the amount of input V output. I measure myself once a week and weight, I am very happy at present.
Impressive Addict. :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 am

Parker wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Wow Parker that's a a strict diet you have there and wow x 100 for the MMA training, I take my hat off to ya.
I have 13.8kg's to lose, see here, I've already lost 3.4 this year and two before the end of last.

MMA Training is an awesome way to burn calories and introduce your muscles to something other than riding a bike, you will hurt and it's fantastic!
You look fantastic parker, you are a true inspiration
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Apple wrote:
Abby wrote:Great read Addictr3 - very interesting stuff.

I know I'm taking a much simpler approach at the moment. My focus is on total calorie expenditure, and not worrying too much about the macronutrient balance. But as I sadi - my focus is on weight-loss rather than performance. I know that in a month or so when I'm closer to my goal, and I start to ramp up my mileage (currently only about 100-150km/week), that macronutrient balance will become appreciably more important...

Again, thanks. :D

Cheers,
Abby
I am with you Abby, it was a great read, I am not focusing so much on teh macronutrient balance as I know what I am eating and I am using calorie king for the amount of input V output. I measure myself once a week and weight, I am very happy at present.
Impressive Addict. :wink:
I eyeball most things, as I know my macros will be 4 cals per 1 gram of protein/carbs and 9 cals per gram of fat.

Once you work out your macros you simply dont need the internet, that is.. if you are making most of your food.

My trick is; I aim for atleast 1g of Protein per POUND of bodyweight. so atm I am around 150lbs give or take, so 150g of protein, I add Fats next, usually I try aim for half of my weight in pounds with fat, so around 75g then fill the rest with carbs, and how many calories (I have a bodymedia FIT) that I used ages ago to work out my Base calories..

But all good, if something works for you, KEEP DOING IT :-)

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Addictr3 wrote:[But all good, if something works for you, KEEP DOING IT :-)
Yes, I can eye ball foods and know the total of calories it has, I don't have any trouble with knowing fat content. I am very aware of what food contains but that's because I mainly deal with raw ingredients.
What amazes me is why someone as young as you would know all that. Are you in the field of food technology?
I am using calorie king so that I can record what I am eating, sometimes I tend to over eat so this way I am more focused. :D

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Apple wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:[But all good, if something works for you, KEEP DOING IT :-)
Yes, I can eye ball foods and know the total of calories it has, I don't have any trouble with knowing fat content. I am very aware of what food contains but that's because I mainly deal with raw ingredients.
What amazes me is why someone as young as you would know all that. Are you in the field of food technology?
I am using calorie king so that I can record what I am eating, sometimes I tend to over eat so this way I am more focused. :D
I did 1 year at uni in Diet/Nutrition, but crossed over into Computer Science (System Engineering) which I currently do full-time. (still at uni though!!) so I learnt a lot from that 1 year, plus I played professional cricket in England and our coach was a fitness freak, learnt there too. Plus just reading and seeing the trends in history.

Recording food is great, I did that when I was running a lot etc, but came a little OCD so just went the eyeball way. I hardly ever eat out and if I do, I just do a IIFYM style diet. (If it fits your macros)

:-)

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:33 pm

I also don't eat out :D

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Addictr3 wrote:I eyeball most things, as I know my macros will be 4 cals per 1 gram of protein/carbs
However, few foods are pure protein or carb.
- lean beef cuts. By weight they are approx 70-75% water, 5-10% fat, and the rest muscle, which leads to around 1.2 Cals per raw gram.
- average bread = 48% water, 3% fat, 9% protein, 40% carbs; which leads to 2.4 Cals per gram. I was surprised when I discovered how much water was in bread, but a good proof is to weigh a slice before and after toasting it.

Which is why a Calorie counting app can be handy, or memorizing a few staples.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:I eyeball most things, as I know my macros will be 4 cals per 1 gram of protein/carbs
However, few foods are pure protein or carb.
- lean beef cuts. By weight they are approx 70-75% water, 5-10% fat, and the rest muscle, which leads to around 1.2 Cals per raw gram.
- average bread = 48% water, 3% fat, 9% protein, 40% carbs; which leads to 2.4 Cals per gram. I was surprised when I discovered how much water was in bread, but a good proof is to weigh a slice before and after toasting it.

Yep your right, but I used the word Eyeball haha, aslong as I know what is the major macros I usually am fine. Its like counting diet coke on calorie king !!

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 pm

PawPaw wrote:.

Wow 48% water for Bread, I am shocked :shock: I have given up bread for the past 4 weeks, I would eat multigrain slice of bread maybe once every two days. I find the less processed carbohydrates I eat the more weight loss, and I feel so much better, I don't get lethargic . Once I start eating white bread I get addicted to it and would just keep wanting more and more. So it is best to avoid it in my situation. ( But it smells sooooooooooo good when freshly baked)

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:28 pm

I too get the carb cravings. After some big rides, I've come home and if there's fresh bread, I have been known to have about 8-10 slices with jam or cheese.
But if I drink a lot then have a big salad, it satiates just as well if not better.
Weird huh?
I think it's pretty likely that carbs can influence feel good neurotransmitters like serotonin.

SavannahBlake

Postby SavannahBlake » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Bread is a waste of time. Why does it have to be 'vitamin enriched'? Would you eat whole wheat uncooked? Why would you eat ANYTHING that has to be cooked? And this is utterly ridiculous: "gluten-free diets often lack a host of nutrients typically found in whole-grain wheat products such as vitamins B and D, calcium, iron, zinc, folate and magnesium." There are HUNDREDS of much more effective sources for ALL these nutrients in the fruit, vegetable and lean meats areas of food. Bread and dairy are useless WHEN COMPARED to natural, UNPROCESSED foods.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:28 pm

SavannahBlake wrote:Bread is a waste of time.
Sacré bleu... Vous êtes vraiment fous!.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

SavannahBlake wrote:Bread is a waste of time. Why does it have to be 'vitamin enriched'? Would you eat whole wheat uncooked? Why would you eat ANYTHING that has to be cooked? And this is utterly ridiculous: "gluten-free diets often lack a host of nutrients typically found in whole-grain wheat products such as vitamins B and D, calcium, iron, zinc, folate and magnesium." There are HUNDREDS of much more effective sources for ALL these nutrients in the fruit, vegetable and lean meats areas of food. Bread and dairy are useless WHEN COMPARED to natural, UNPROCESSED foods.

EAT THE DAMN BREAD!!

For the most part, bread is bread is bread is bread. Fit the carb content into your target for the day, and don't worry about whole-wheat vs non, If you need more fiber in your diet and don't want to get it through other dietary means except bread, then just compare labels for fiber content.

There is nothing 'evil' about bread! Sure, it is certainly not the most nutritious of food sources... And yes, it is highly processed.... And yes, it is basically just a carbohydrate.... And yes, White bread is the worst of the lot...

But if you make sure you get a bread that does not have things such as added high fructose corn syrup or copious amounts of added sugar, then it is not going to harm you and if you need the calories and the carbs, then just eat it!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Addictr3 wrote:[EAT THE DAMN BREAD!!
I love the damn bread, that's the problem, once I start it is like cocaine for me. I would eat it like a woman possessed. It is addictive, I will eat some at times but I am better off with cabbage and corn.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Apple wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:[EAT THE DAMN BREAD!!
I love the damn bread, that's the problem, once I start it is like cocaine for me. I would eat it like a woman possessed. It is addictive, I will eat some at times but I am better off with cabbage and corn.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:43 am

SavannahBlake wrote:Why would you eat ANYTHING that has to be cooked?
Why would you put a roof on a house? As nice as it is to enjoy the rain - a dry nights sleep, every so often, is too hard to resist.
Cycling is in my BNA

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:54 am

Addictr3 wrote:

There is nothing 'evil' about bread!.......... it is highly processed.......... it is basically just a carbohydrate........ White bread is the worst of the lot...
I agree bread is not "EVIL", but have you looked at the content of 95% of shopping trolleys while cruising the isles at the local supermarket ?

4 loaves of bread :evil: & 6 litres of milk :evil: . There's a bakery (or 2 or 3) in every shopping complex.

Bread :evil: is pushed onto unsuspecting consumers without any concern of the effects it will have.

Yes we do have the choice not to purchase bread :evil: along with Coke :evil: & copious amounts of alcohol :evil: , but the poor old average Joe is saturated by the presence of these products hence thinking it is normal.

I know most of us on here are probably beyond that way of thinking, but I feel this ever growing (bulging) society has no hope.

ps-- Don't hold me to this as it's information passed on without any personal research, but I was told "Wholemeal" bread :evil: is the worst of all. Hits the body, is converted to sugar then stored as fat. Like most breads.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:46 am

PawPaw wrote:185cm 84kg, bodyfat around 19% and trying to lose 8kg.
Your numbers look ok to me. 8kg to lose seems a lot. Body fat of 19% is nothing, or am I wrong :?
Just by looking at your numbers, I would think that your bodyfat would be more around 22%

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 am

Apple wrote:Your numbers look ok to me. 8kg to lose seems a lot. Body fat of 19% is nothing, or am I wrong :?
Just by looking at your numbers, I would think that your bodyfat would be more around 22%
The 19% is an average over a week from quite variable readings from Tanita scales. I've got one of the first models that came out 6yrs old, but understand more recent models are more accurate.

20% bodyfat is good for females, but males are better down around 12-18% for general health, from memory.
I want to improve my climbing, and lower weight will make a huge diff; aiming for 10%.
19% bodyfat = 84*.19= 16kg of fat (carrying two road bikes on my back on climbs)
10% bodyfat = (84-16)*1.1 = 75kg, which is what I was through my 20s.

My waist circumference is 94cm and it was 84-87 until my mid 30s.
And 14 mths ago I was 106kg!

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 am

While millions of poor families around the globe are grateful for just a 1/4 of a loaf of bread on the dinner table, here we are trashing it. Poor BREAD!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:52 am

sogood wrote:While millions of poor families around the globe are grateful for just a 1/4 of a loaf of bread on the dinner table, here we are trashing it. Poor BREAD!
:lol: :lol: Just shows you, what waste we have and over supply of food. We should have an exchange program every year for a month, that way we all get a turn at being gluttons