Tyre choice

Mountainbiking central

Tyre choice

Postby stnfldr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:18 pm

My friend lives in remote NT, in a community. She wants to get a bike but is unsure what tyres would suit the red dust/dirt. If somebody has experience riding on this surface I'd like to hear your experience's and what you suggest would be the best tyre choice. She is just a casual rider, not some log jumping pro.

Ben
stnfldr

by BNA » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 am

BNA

Re: Tyre choice

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 am

Depends on the bike but the Schwalbe Landcruiser is just about the best 26" hybrid cruiser tyre I've come across for the money. It won't go around corners in a hurry but it rolls through sand and hardpack just fine and with a solid central line it does the road too. My pair in the shed cost me around $30.

Otherwise, could try one of the more agressive and wider Schwalbe Marathon patterns - with the green band in them these have to be some of the more puncture resitant tyres I've used too.

However, both of these are typically wire wound which is a bastard to box up. Anything that can be had in a folding carcass will help with transport out to the middle of nowhere. In which case I do like the Geax AKA....
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby theClaw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:52 am

ive heard a few people have used the continental brand succesfully in the NT, apparently quite resistant to punctures.
theClaw

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm not sure if burs are an issue where she plans to ride, but if she's not up for tubeless tyres filled with goop, some tyre liners and slime-filled tubes might be a worthwhile investment.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Return to MTB