Bouncing off the walls

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Mrfenejeans

Bouncing off the walls

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 am

When ever i cycle(i do eat on long rides) afterwards i turn into what can best be described as a 5year old high on red cordial, i am literally a step a way from bouncing off the walls. However as my fiance can't stand me like this she forces me to eat something even just a sandwich is enough, that once i'm finished eating i calm right down.

So my question is why when caffeine/ coffee / energy drinks etc don't have this effect on me, cycling does??

rkelsen

Re: Bouncing off the walls

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Same problem here. I think it's to do with sugar intake, but I'm not a doctor or nutritionist. I'm minimising my sugar intake to see how it goes. Haven't had sugar in my morning coffee for 6 months or more, and substituting chips and chocs with fruit and vegies as snacks for the past few weeks. Also, I'm avoiding soft drinks like the plague.

This in an interesting article, though I've no doubt that it could be debated by those more qualified than I:
http://www.forgoodness-sake.com/lbsarticle.htm

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:When ever i cycle(i do eat on long rides) afterwards i turn into what can best be described as a 5year old high on red cordial, i am literally a step a way from bouncing off the walls. However as my fiance can't stand me like this she forces me to eat something even just a sandwich is enough, that once i'm finished eating i calm right down.

So my question is why when caffeine/ coffee / energy drinks etc don't have this effect on me, cycling does??

How long have you been cycling or exercising for? Have you increased the tempo of the rides/exercise? It seems to me you are getting the "runners high" which tends to spill into the Post-Exercise stage, leaving you with a euphoric mood.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Addictr3 wrote:
Mrfenejeans wrote:When ever i cycle(i do eat on long rides) afterwards i turn into what can best be described as a 5year old high on red cordial, i am literally a step a way from bouncing off the walls. However as my fiance can't stand me like this she forces me to eat something even just a sandwich is enough, that once i'm finished eating i calm right down.

How long have you been cycling or exercising for? Have you increased the tempo of the rides/exercise? It seems to me you are getting the "runners high" which tends to spill into the Post-Exercise stage, leaving you with a euphoric mood.
Yeah I get this after a hard ride, or a run. Not always though, the intensity needs to be 'just right'. I usually talk a lot rather than jumping around
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Cycling for 12months, nothing has particularly changed in recent times other than the natural progression of being fitter, this has been a frequent after effect for probably 6-9months since i became more of a Cyclist and less of a bike rider. However i have always ridden with the want to push myself, currently achieving an average speed of around 31km/h for distances of around 100km's or less solo.

I don't literally jump of the walls i'm probably in a similar state to you jet-ski i ramble and sing and carry on.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Just read up on this "runners high" business, and sounds about right when i look over my Strava, shows me always being upwards of 50percent of my time at "tempo" the perfect spot to get runners high and more often than not most of my rides are spent with 80percent of my heart rate being a mix of tempo and threshold heart rates.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Yeah it did sound like that.

You say you avg 31kph on your 100km solos, how much climbing are you doing? Whats your name on Strava?

Cheers
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Yeah it did sound like that.

You say you avg 31kph on your 100km solos, how much climbing are you doing? Whats your name on Strava?

Cheers
I'm Will Struwe on strava, on a 100km ride its a pretty flat here in perth, trying to get out climbing more and more as i do find i really enjoy it but Perth being Perth its sometimes a tough one to get out and do.

Oh and my last 80km ride is a bad example, spent all my time waiting on the group to catch up as no one seemed to be able to keep the pace that we'd all agreed on, was about ready to just leave them and ride home.