Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate.

greyhoundtom

Re: Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate.

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Nah I’m getting

“You toucha my bike
I smasha your face”

Printed on one of my plain yellow jerseys.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Here we go - used the Triple Play templates, and got a little more preactive (productive and creative)...

What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Half of the countries IT geeks are on this forum, why hasn't someone coded a game where Warne runs down cyclists in his black Mercedes? That would go viral on iPhone and that other thingy the good quality phones that don't turn themselves off use...
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Old and Rusty wrote:Half of the countries IT geeks are on this forum, why hasn't someone coded a game where Warne runs down cyclists in his black Mercedes? That would go viral on iPhone and that other thingy the good quality phones that don't turn themselves off use...
Other way around - don't want to encourage more hoons like that. How about a bunch of cyclists chase fat Warne around an oval and throw ciggies at him?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:02 pm

CommuRider wrote:
Old and Rusty wrote:Half of the countries IT geeks are on this forum, why hasn't someone coded a game where Warne runs down cyclists in his black Mercedes? That would go viral on iPhone and that other thingy the good quality phones that don't turn themselves off use...
Other way around - don't want to encourage more hoons like that. How about a bunch of cyclists chase fat Warne around an oval and throw ciggies at him?
Which problem will this hypothetical game solve? Shane Warne being an idiot, or the prevailing attitude to cyclists being complete rubbish? My money's on "neither".

PS That goes double for the jerseys.

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:13 pm

I would just like to thank those that have contributed to this thread, It has given my alot of ammo to use on a forby forum I'm on, where i appear to be the only cyclist (except for a couple of MTB riders).

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:27 pm

high_tea wrote:
CommuRider wrote:
Which problem will this hypothetical game solve?.
Some people's sentiments of frustration and disempowerment. You may denigrate people's ideas here in response to Warney's atrocious behaviour but at least they are thinking of creative responses. If you just want to seethe and whinge, that's fine for your own reaction of helplessness. Others want to take the cheeky approach so be it. Rather intolerant of you to be dismissive of other people's ideas.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:37 pm

CommuRider wrote:
high_tea wrote:
CommuRider wrote: Other way around - don't want to encourage more hoons like that. How about a bunch of cyclists chase fat Warne around an oval and throw ciggies at him?
Which problem will this hypothetical game solve?.
Some people's sentiments of frustration and disempowerment. You may denigrate people's ideas here in response to Warney's atrocious behaviour but at least they are thinking of creative responses. If you just want to seethe and whinge, that's fine for your own reaction of helplessness. Others want to take the cheeky approach so be it. Rather intolerant of you to be dismissive of other people's ideas.
How dare you be dismisive of my dismissiveness! :D

But yeah, you're right, I forgot how teh internets works. There's nothing that can't be solved by a YouTube video, some meme (preferably involving cats) a quick bit of Photoshopping or, in extreme cases, a bit of Javascript or something. If you're just going to talk about things, it's much more admirable to talk about trivia, right? :roll:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:45 pm

I ain't an IT person but I once played a very effective game where I was a drug dealer selling all sorts of illegal substances. Actually insightful into how the supply and demand of the drugs market worked. So such games can be effective but don't fancy having cyclists run over on my screen.

Anyhoo, a lot of peeps here do different things from Womble's donations of bikes to flood victims to Aushiker's submissions to governments...quite a lively and creative online community as a result.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 am

CommuRider wrote:I ain't an IT person but I once played a very effective game where I was a drug dealer selling all sorts of illegal substances. Actually insightful into how the supply and demand of the drugs market worked. So such games can be effective but don't fancy having cyclists run over on my screen.
Fair enough. To go completely OT, though, drug dealing (or running down cyclists) is far from the worst thing I've seen depicted in computer games (murdering complete strangers and then robbing their bodies over and over again is a recurring cliche in fantasy games and far, far creepier for mine).
Anyhoo, a lot of peeps here do different things from Womble's donations of bikes to flood victims to Aushiker's submissions to governments...quite a lively and creative online community as a result.
Never said otherwise. There's a big difference between constructive acts big, small and in between and harmless fun. I contend that bagging Shane Warne falls under "harmless fun". Ditto "arguing about computer games about Shane Warne" :D

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:45 am

high_tea wrote:
Never said otherwise. There's a big difference between constructive acts big, small and in between and harmless fun. I contend that bagging Shane Warne falls under "harmless fun". Ditto "arguing about computer games about Shane Warne" :D
So you'll take a jersey then?
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 am

I quite liked the Michael Jackson catching babies falling from the window flash game.... That and slingshotting Santa..
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:56 am

greyhoundtom wrote:Nah I’m getting

“You toucha my bike
I smasha your face”

I suggest a slight change:
“You toucha da bike
I smasha da face”

Matches the faux italian stereotypical lingo better imo.

Though in seriousness I suspect that such overtly attitudinal jerseys do not really help cyclists to become acceptable by the mainstream.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

TailWind

Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate.

Postby TailWind » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

BikeSnob NYC has picked up on this incident too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit:
Oops, been mentioned before. Missed it when catching up on the phone, sorry.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:Nah I’m getting

“You toucha my bike
I smasha your face”

I suggest a slight change:
“You toucha da bike
I smasha da face”

Matches the faux italian stereotypical lingo better imo.

Though in seriousness I suspect that such overtly attitudinal jerseys do not really help cyclists to become acceptable by the mainstream.
Thanks :D that will be corrected.........and I have reached a point where I don't really care much anymore if I upset a few motorists along the way.
At the same time a Warnie jersey is not going to do much for cycling/motorist relations either, and I would rather take this on my own bat so to speak. :twisted:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 pm

CommuRider wrote:Anyhoo, a lot of peeps here do different things from Womble's donations of bikes to flood victims to Aushiker's submissions to governments...quite a lively and creative online community as a result.
+1 :D

It would be nice though if some of this could be a bit more visible, like an "action I've taken" subforum under an Advocacy section.

The purpose is to serve as an encouragement for others to take action, provide examples of good templates to use when writing (noting that personalising and using your own words to express the ideas is required for success), and to report on responses and progress.

As an example of what can be achieved, this has worked well on nobmob.com where a group of us (now incorporated under the name Trail Care) have been involved over several years in consulting to the NPWS NSW and shaping its recently released Cycling Policy. THis Policy which will allow mountain biking on singletrack in National Parks in NSW (currently banned in the Sydney area, although NPWS is turning a blind eye while the next stage is in progress). And it was a number of nobmob members (before I was involved) who consulted with various government ministers to get the development of a formal Policy kicked off in the first place.

I think a similar thing can work well via this site for utilty cycling.

Thoughts, anyone?

Worth a separate thread to talk about the idea?

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Found this tread to be slightly disappointing! :( Although Warney should be charged (although all the name calling seems to be going down to his level) Not one mention that reading between the lines of the cyclists response no one noticed that the whole issue was probably started by the cyclist. Unclipping to get through a Narrow gap sounds a bit sus to me, he probably did bump Warneys car, if so he was at the very least careless and disrespectful of others property.

Not for one minute does that excuse Warney, but if my guess is true the whole incedent could have been avoided it the cyclist had just slowed down, and waited for the traffic to start moving. Seems he gained only one space, what's the hurry?

We have to work together on the roads and that means respecting other road users space, personally in the same circumstances I would have either.

1. Not squeezed through a gap to small to saftly navigate. Or
2. If the road ahead was clear keep riding and ignored the rants.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 pm

martinjs wrote:Unclipping to get through a Narrow gap sounds a bit sus to me, he probably did bump Warneys car, if so he was at the very least careless and disrespectful of others property.
disagree martin. i weave through stationary traffic every day. done carefully, it's perfectly safe. a witness (motorist) has said warney deliberately closed the gap to make it harder for the cyclist, who ended up propping himself (with his hand) on warney's car. last i checked, putting your hand on someone's car is unlikely to cause permanent damage, yet you'd think so the way some motorists carry on.

the point is, according to the witness, warney actively sought to create the conflict and contact between his car and cyclist. you can't do that, then whinge about it. well, you can and he did, but he's a moron.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 pm

trailgumby wrote:It would be nice though if some of this could be a bit more visible, like an "action I've taken" subforum under an Advocacy section.
I have posted some details in the Cycling Safety section and in the WA sub-forum as has RolandP who does heaps more than me through BTAWA. Generally there is little to no response from forum members and zilch from the so called advocacy groups (other than BTAWA) which I find in particular disappointing; they could at least support/work with BTAWA and Rolandp. I would have thought the advocacy groups would be a lot more encouraging for starters.

Personally I am pretty much at the point where more and more of what I do is not shared here and I am now questioning whether it is worth even bothering to flag bike plans and the like given the lack of reaction compared to say this instance.

Happy to be convinced otherwise but the evidence is not there from what I have seen.

Regards
Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:Personally I am pretty much at the point where more and more of what I do is not shared here and I am now questioning whether it is worth even bothering to flag bike plans and the like given the lack of reaction compared to say this instance.

Happy to be convinced otherwise but the evidence is not there from what I have seen.

Regards
Andrew
Yep, know what you mean. Hence my disillusionment and brain explosion earlier at people for rabitting on and nitpicking each other about the minutiae of road rules instead of spending their time on something that could make a difference, such as writing to Police ministers, local members and newspapers.

Lets see if anyone other than the usual 2-3 suspects responds.

Or ... we could just do it anyway and see who else we attract. It's not like the lack of interaction has slowed us down previously. It may take awhile to get traction besides the few of us, but I'm thinking if we just put it out there anyway it might be that future contributors may come from outside existing forum members.

Initially it would be cut-and-paste from letters we've written and responses we've had, so it's not like it's a substantial investment of additinal time.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:27 pm

jules21 wrote:
martinjs wrote:Unclipping to get through a Narrow gap sounds a bit sus to me, he probably did bump Warneys car, if so he was at the very least careless and disrespectful of others property.
disagree martin. i weave through stationary traffic every day. done carefully, it's perfectly safe. a witness (motorist) has said warney deliberately closed the gap to make it harder for the cyclist, who ended up propping himself (with his hand) on warney's car. last i checked, putting your hand on someone's car is unlikely to cause permanent damage, yet you'd think so the way some motorists carry on.

the point is, according to the witness, warney actively sought to create the conflict and contact between his car and cyclist. you can't do that, then whinge about it. well, you can and he did, but he's a moron.
I'm not defending Warney in any way shape or form. Just saying, defensive riding could have prevented the whole incident. Even if he got pass Warney he should have just kept going. Road rage is a dangrouse thing, no point being right and dead or injuryed or having your bike wrecked.
For sure, cars don't and shouldn't think they own the roads, but neither should we.

Martin

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:28 pm

trailgumby wrote:Yep, know what you mean. Hence my disillusionment and brain explosion earlier at people for rabitting on and nitpicking each other about the minutiae of road rules instead of spending their time on something that could make a difference, such as writing to Police ministers, local members and newspapers.

Lets see if anyone other than the usual 2-3 suspects responds.

Or ... we could just do it anyway and see who else we attract. It's not like the lack of interaction has slowed us down previously. It may take awhile to get traction besides the few of us, but I'm thinking if we just put it out there anyway it might be that future contributors may come from outside existing forum members.

Initially it would be cut-and-paste from letters we've written and responses we've had, so it's not like it's a substantial investment of additinal time.
Happy to keep trying. I am not letting the lack of response etc here discourage me from engaging with Councils, Road Safety Council, Ministers and Police.

Maybe a proper advocacy section would at least provide a resource for ideas on what to put in submissions etc, i.e., a database of ideas/resources.

Andrew

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:47 pm

"I couldn’t get through as easily as usual because a grey Mercedes Coupe in the centre lane was very close to the left turning traffic and allowed almost no space for cyclists to pass through," the cyclist wrote.

"As the traffic was stationary I unclipped my right foot and squeezed through the small gap.
This was from the cyclist account, he didn't mention anyone moving in front of him. In fact he said traffic was stationary, and also said, if you read above.
allowed almost no space for cyclists to pass through
Based on that, I'd say he was pushing it for the sake of one car length. Same thing we complain motorist doing, hurrying when there’s no need.

Go figure.

Martin
Last edited by martinjs on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:10 pm

trailgumby wrote:It would be nice though if some of this could be a bit more visible, like an "action I've taken" subforum under an Advocacy section.
[/quote]
I would worry that such a forum will just serve to give greater rein to overly aggressive self-important and self righteous cyclists preaching their own little tough-guy incidences of which there are too many and which probably do more to sour relations with the rest of the community than anything else. It would just become a competition. I'd love this to be unfair comment but I fear not.

End of rant.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm

trailgumby wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Anyhoo, a lot of peeps here do different things from Womble's donations of bikes to flood victims to Aushiker's submissions to governments...quite a lively and creative online community as a result.
+1 :D

It would be nice though if some of this could be a bit more visible, like an "action I've taken" subforum under an Advocacy section.

The purpose is to serve as an encouragement for others to take action, provide examples of good templates to use when writing (noting that personalising and using your own words to express the ideas is required for success), and to report on responses and progress...Thoughts, anyone?

Happy to support an Advocacy section and I think we have the bones of it with eg Oxford's cycling accident pro-forma template.

I'd like to think the letters I have read in the SMH over the past few days came from BNA members. Can I just point out that perhaps some people are not as out there with what they do with regards to cycling advocacy locally or within the community. Most of us here have day jobs and I think it is balancing the pursuit of cycling safety initiatives and at the same time not jeopardising whatever contractual commitment we have with said employer just in case we bring our employers into disrepute especially if said employer isn't pro-cycling. Lucky I have a pretty open minded employer that supports cycling to work but not sure if said employer will want me to be as visible as I would like to be.

As for policy/legislative changes, if a BNA member here is attached as a policy adviser to a minister such as Duncan Gay (hahahahah) Minister of Transport here in NSW, therre may be better approaches to tweak changes to the law with insider knowledge. However, unless one of us becomes an elected member to parliament, joins the cabinet of the ruling party, hard to change the law. Then again, we have the 4WD party but unless someone here wants to devote full-time to becoming a pro-cycling politician heading a pro-cycling party, then meaningful legislative changes will take longer through this negotiated process that we call the Westminster system.