Panniers, Racks and Mudguards

KonaCommuter

Panniers, Racks and Mudguards

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I’m wanting to turn my Kona MTB into an all weather commuter.

So I’d like to seek the forums wisdom on Panniers, racks to put ‘em on and maybe mudguards.

Advice and opinions gratefully received
2012 Oppy A4

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Panniers, Racks and Mudguards

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Mudguards, good long ones, are vital if you don't want to arrive with soggy shoes and a black skunk stripe on your back. They also help keep things a bit cleaner.

No idea about racks/panniers, I'm a backpack jockey.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Chef

Postby Chef » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi,

There are a lot of options, I have;
SKS Chromoplastic guards (good price, good fit, still look A1 after a year, and most importantly - they work!)
Tubus rack (I have the Ti version, but there are lots of options depending on your needs) - great piece of kit - very solid, good welds, and easy to fit
Ortlieb panniers; two years of daily commuting and they look as good as new; great mounting system, waterproof and several options for size and closure style

Not sure of your budget, but this lot will cost you in excess of $275 (bought online frm o/s), but worth every cent as you will get many years of reliable use from them

Hope that helps

Cheers
Phil

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Yup, SKS, Tubus and Ortleib are pretty much standard utilitarian kit, like a Surly Long Haul Trucker for touring - and they go really well together.

I reckon SKS Longboards are a good idea, but they only come in 45mm so you'd need to put some pretty skinny slicks on...

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks - I’ve got somewhere to start my search.
2012 Oppy A4

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:23 pm

This is some useful info, I'll be replacing my MTB with a CX bike here soon, and wanted to get some proper mudguards this time. Was hoping the SKS stuff was good, since that was my plan. Hadn't looked at the Longboards before, but they seem ideal. Especially the size, since I'll probably run 28mm slicks most of the time, but wanted something that would also fit over the stock 35mm tyres if possible.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:55 pm

JBark wrote:This is some useful info, I'll be replacing my MTB with a CX bike here soon, and wanted to get some proper mudguards this time. Was hoping the SKS stuff was good, since that was my plan. Hadn't looked at the Longboards before, but they seem ideal. Especially the size, since I'll probably run 28mm slicks most of the time, but wanted something that would also fit over the stock 35mm tyres if possible.
Sounds like a good plan JB.

It'd be interesting to note whether you notice much difference in the ride between the 35mm and 28mm tyres - personally I'd just stick with some good 35s...

If you're going to CX on it, beware of sticks and rocks getting stuck in the guards. The SKS fenders have a joint on the front fender that's designed to break if a stick gets stuck in there, but you don't want to be replacing it all the time. For commuting or road riding it'd be sweet as...

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:03 pm

WestcoastPete wrote: It'd be interesting to note whether you notice much difference in the ride between the 35mm and 28mm tyres - personally I'd just stick with some good 35s...
28s are going to be Marathon Plus for my daily commuting. After running them for ~5000k last year on my MTB, don't think I'd trust another tyre, they're just so indestructible. :) I'm running the 1.5" on my MTB, and I think I'd like something a bit narrower for the daily ride. Plus the MPs are so damn heavy, any weight savings going to smaller size is quite a bit. I might swap on the stock 35s occasionally to do a bit of gravel riding with the missus, and would like to be able to just leave the fenders on there if I can.

But yeah, if I end up doing some actual CX, they'll have to come off. But in reality, I'm lazy, so it will probably spend 99.999% of its time on the Marathon Plus tyres anyway. :)

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 pm

I've been reasonably happy with my Topeak MTX DXP trunkbag and matching rack. The mounting process is dead simple, a little rattle in it over bumps but doesn't bother me when riding. For convenience I think it would be hard to beat.

Most days I use it just as a trunk bag with the sides folded up. Big enough for a lunch box and a change of clothes with the top expanded. I can squueze a rain jacket into a side pocket.

Once a week (usually) I fold out the panniers and can fit my towel, and a pair of shoes and jeans (casual Friday). The panniers can handle my 15" laptop as well, but the fabric is fairly thin and showing some wear (pulling seams at the front corner) as a result of this heavier load - this is with 3 years of use though. One of the plastic zipper tags broke off but the zipper still works fine. The internal fabric pouch under the lid is very thin, and fraying with my keys and glasses in there. It's not rated as waterproof but it's been good enough in Melbourne weather, and there's an optional cover.

Mudguards - get 'em, end of story. I have some cheapies, but might get some Curana C-Lite guards because they look schmick. 8)

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Well, GRRR

Bought Zefal Classic mudguards. The hex screws were to long for my Kona and the front one doesn’t go onto suspension forks. Still, managed to get the back one on and we’ll see how it goes.

I came away after looking at Pannier racks none the wiser. I’m not sure if they are for me or not.
2012 Oppy A4

teak81

Postby teak81 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:27 pm

I have the zefal mudguards also they are very good. I use a tioga rack and ortileb waterproof panniers. Do you have like a bolt barn where you live, that you can get shorter bolts or skinnier bolts? If you want to get weight off your back panniers and rack are perfect. But they can make the bike heavier and the aero not so good. I use my commuter when it is raining with the waterproof panniers and take a set of work clothes it is excellent.
2011 Malvernstar xcs 1.0
2012 Oppy a5
2011 fm 015

csy75

Postby csy75 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:27 am

topeak rack for the win here for me.....i bought two ortlieb roller plus bags and i can see them lasting 10 years at least.

I did switch from 28 mm tryes to 23 maxxis's and they are much better for rolling.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:15 pm

As others have said, if you want the option of panniers, definitely go with the Topeak super tourist, or something similar that has struts extending down vertically from the rear. Before snagging that one I had the basic one like this for a while and without that vertical back strut I had dramas with my market-style panniers sagging into the back wheel.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:57 pm

JBark wrote:This is some useful info, I'll be replacing my MTB with a CX bike here soon, and wanted to get some proper mudguards this time. Was hoping the SKS stuff was good, since that was my plan. Hadn't looked at the Longboards before, but they seem ideal. Especially the size, since I'll probably run 28mm slicks most of the time, but wanted something that would also fit over the stock 35mm tyres if possible.
My commuter bike:-

Lynskey Cooper CX (Cyclocross)
SKS Chromoplastic (P45) Mudguards
Tubus Airy Ti Pannier Rack
Ortlieb Backroller Plus Panniers
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28c (P45 guards leave enough room to run up to around 37mm for tyres)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi

My preference would be Tubus racks as suggested earlier on and I would add to that Ortlieb panniers. I have the Ortlieb Bike-Plus rear panniers but that is probably over kill for your needs. The cheaper Classic Rollers would probably do the trick.

With respect to mudguards I have had a mixed experiences with SKS Chromoplastic mudguards and whilst I like the set on my Surly Long Haul Trucker the set on my Kinesis Granfondo Racelight are heading to the bin, to be replaced by Crud Roadracer Mk2 mudguards.

Also you might want to verify if the Chromoplastic mudguards will actually mount to your MTB. On my mountain bike I have gone with Crud Raceguards. Mind you I am not sure how they would go with racks, at least on the rear.

Andrew

Andrew

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 am

A lot of CX bikes have centrepull cantilever brakes. Compatibility with mudgards is problematic, depending very much on the height to the top of the straddle cable.

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 pm

queequeg wrote: My commuter bike:-
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28c (P45 guards leave enough room to run up to around 37mm for tyres)
Love it, that's pretty much exactly what I'm going for, though don't have the funds for quite that nice of a bike. :) I'm leaning towards the Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc, looks to be a good choice, just hoping the 2012 model still has the rack/guard lugs on the frame like the 2011 did.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:07 pm

gdt wrote:A lot of CX bikes have centrepull cantilever brakes. Compatibility with mudgards is problematic, depending very much on the height to the top of the straddle cable.
I've got Chromoplast mudguards on my surly LHT with centrepull cantis. No problems. Actually canti's are better than v's for mudguards as there's more clearance.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm

For a front mudguard on my old MTB I cut open a ~400mm length of 50mm diameter aggie pipe, bashed it a bit with a mallett to stop it from closing over, trimmed it to my liking and attached it to the down tube with cable ties.

At the rear there was already an old mudguard but it was too short so I extended it, again using aggie pipe and cable ties.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 pm

I have the same setup as queequeg, well at least I did. Since I have converted my Lynskey to a commuter/MTB I have taken the guards, rack and panniers off in favour of a little backpack.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:57 pm

JBark wrote:
queequeg wrote: My commuter bike:-
Love it, that's pretty much exactly what I'm going for, though don't have the funds for quite that nice of a bike. :) I'm leaning towards the Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc, looks to be a good choice, just hoping the 2012 model still has the rack/guard lugs on the frame like the 2011 did.
Might be worth having a look at the Boardman CX Bikes on Wiggle. At least one forum member has one.
The main issue you will have with mudguards + Discs is getting the stays to clear the calipers. The lbs was very creative with how they mounted mine, and avoided the need to bend the stays into silly shapes. The result is very nice.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Just banged a set of these on in preparation for winter. The rear was a bit of a bugger to fit (had to take the back wheel off and it only just gets along with my rack) but got it done, and they've survived the first system test. Pretty happy with how they look, which is the main thing, of course!, only issue I'm seeing so far is fretting about banging them against things when parking/stowing the bike.

My name is Lizzy and I am a compulsive accessorizer ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Lizzy wrote:... only issue I'm seeing so far is fretting about banging them against things when parking/stowing the bike.
Being polycarbonate they should handle that okay and shouldn't knock out of line given the use of stays. My SKS Chromoplastic mudguards survive okay on the Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Andrew

Verdigriis

Postby Verdigriis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Agreed with everyone that Tubus racks are fantastic, but having said that, I used some crappy $40 cheap ones on my commuter for over a year with no dramas. The tubus racks I've bought for loaded touring, with rather more on the bike than when I just ride to work or drop through the shops. I wouldn't sit on the cheap one, but it does the job.

Any panniers are better than no panniers (unless you don't mind a backpack) and you don't have to spend a fortune on a commuting set. I have some fairly basic Basil panniers which are a PITA to get on and off the bike, but are waterproof and carry my work gear with no problems - they're the kind that come in a set of two and just drape over the rear rack and buckle on at the top and velcro on at the bottom. I don't take them on and off the bike, but just drop another shopping bag or whatever in there for ease of carrying my gear once I get to the office.

There's no need to go for the expensive gold standard unless you have the cash and like the idea, not for commuting anyway.

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:47 am

MattyK wrote:I've been reasonably happy with my Topeak MTX DXP trunkbag and matching rack. The mounting process is dead simple, a little rattle in it over bumps but doesn't bother me when riding. For convenience I think it would be hard to beat.
Do you have any issue with the size of the hole to get stuff in and out of that bag? I was having a look at one yesterday and it seemed a bit small relative to the bag . Ian
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?