TdU Channel Nine coverage

CommuRider

Re: TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:53 pm

norbs wrote:Did Andrew Voss cut Matt White off at the end? Seemed to end in an awful hurry.
Yep, so they could show some crappy program. Poor form really. If it were a program that was mindblowingly important it would make sense but them switching to their crap program was akin to cutting off the Border-Gavasktar trophy presentation. Didn't see Greipel being awarded his jersey either.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:15 pm

CommuRider wrote:
norbs wrote:Did Andrew Voss cut Matt White off at the end? Seemed to end in an awful hurry.
Yep, so they could show some crappy program. Poor form really. If it were a program that was mindblowingly important it would make sense but them switching to their crap program was akin to cutting off the Border-Gavasktar trophy presentation. Didn't see Greipel being awarded his jersey either.
On par for Nein, anything to fit one more ad in.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm

I thought Sunday's live coverage was in the main quite acceptable using past year's TDU coverage as a guide, however, lack of any other live coverage, jamming a hashed highlights package miles away from weeknight prime time viewing and cutting the end of race presentations short is very amateurish.

Loved hearing Ligget and Sherwen again but get them back with SBS please.............
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:51 pm

They *could* have shown it on their other digital channel without interrupting their crappy afternoon program line-ups. But no....some Yankee whatever 1980s series repeated for the umpteenth was far more important than showing the hardwork of those involved in the TDU. Yah, woo-hoo. Waste of $ to bid for the TDU rights and a reflection of the incompetence of their program schedulers with no idea of event management...I mean are they on work experience? Or are they all Warney's programming mates?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm

sogood wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:All I can say is that coverage 9 did of the TDU was abysmal and pathetic they should be ashamed.
Which sporting event coverage have you been impressed and happy with?
Why do they have to justify their opinion to you ? It's their opinion.
FPR Ragamuffin

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Chuck wrote:Why do they have to justify their opinion to you ? It's their opinion.
Not to me, but to the forum. Unless one considers the forum as a one way soap box?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I didn't like the coverage and didn't watch it.

Just my opinion :|

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:27 am

Today's SBS Cycling Central covered the TDU and was a bit of a lesson to Channel Nine in how to do a cycling package. Technically interesting was the use of on-bike cameras -- they've been experimenting with these a bit and they've found some good angles. I do look forward to SBS convincing one of the cycling teams to run a bike with the cameras; since SBS doesn't need live access to the material there's no heavy battery neeed to power a transmitter.

The basic problem is EventsSA, the state-owned tourist promotion body. They've obviously gone for exposure over quality in choosing Channel Nine. I think events have shown that this wasnt the best choice. Interesting in that they didn't even get any worthwhile contra, such as the continuation of the Postcards program -- which was a major driver of within-state tourism.

I dont think EventsSA learned the lesson of the TDU coverage on ABC 891 Local Radio. Despite covering the TDU from the start it is only within the last two years that their sports commentators have shown any real understanding of the sport. And now that they do the coverage is much, much better. It's quite possible that Nine won't ascend the learning curve for the entire duration of the three year contract (they only get another two chances to get it right). In short, EventsSA shouldn't have gone with a channel with no prior experience of cycling, because in doing so they've compromised coverage of their event.

Also interesting is the lack of defence of Nine's coverage by its management. When the most senior person championing your program is a reporter then your program has no profile within the organisation (which also explains 11:30pm timeslots). I get the feling that the Channel Nine staff have been surprised at the quality of the event they have purchased, but I doubt if they can sell that message within Nine.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 am

As mentioned by someone earlier, I think the reason 9 out bid to get it was to prevent conflicting shows against what they have running at different timeslots.

Basically trying to capture the market so no one else can use it. usual business actions.

From what coverage I did see it seemed to be ok.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Well, I was happy to put the feet up and finally watch some TDU on the weekend. Not too bad, which is to be expected given that it was mostly Phil and Paul. Nice that they finally found some decent shirts. I was disappointed by the brevity of the review of 4-5 stages that many of us didn't get to see - certainly under 3 minutes and apparently women didn't race at all. :roll: The footage lacked clarity and had a lot of flare. Perhaps the good cameras are at the cricket, or they used a low quality (cheaper) feed.

Footballers on a cycling broadcast was very 9, but credit to the big one for saying he rides a bike. That stuff probably helps. I agree that not showing the Greipel presentation was very poor form - both parochial and disrespectful, but they were clearly up against it with time. With more respect for the fans or the sport they might have extended a minute or two (depending on the satellite), but 9 doesn't value cycling so they wouldn't care. Or perhaps it was a stuffup by the producer or organisers or anchor; still less than professional, whatever the cause. You can only hope the international broadcasters and Lotto's sponsors put a word in, to the effect Say What? And no highlights that I could see? No excuse for talking over the anthem though.

They will try to do better next year (and hoping for a breach of contract is a waste of time imo). But as an investment in the future, I think it's worth trying to get TDU added to the anti-siphoning list (which is all boof sports and the olympics), and this performance flagged under the anti-hoarding provisions of the broadcasting rules to assist in that process. From DBCDE:
While the government's current anti-siphoning provisions aim to ensure that as many Australians as possible have the opportunity to watch significant events on free-to-air television, these provisions do not deal with live coverage of listed events.

The anti-hoarding provisions require commercial television licensees who acquire the right to televise a designated event, but who do not propose to fully use that right, to offer the unused portion to the ABC and SBS for a nominal charge within a specified offer time. The national broadcasters must also offer unused portions of rights to each other.
At the very least, it would be good to have it on the radar of Conroy's office. The Codes are so narrow that there doesn't seem to a lot of point complaining to Free TV Aust (a precursor to escalating to ACMA), although FTVA does have to summarise complaints to ACMA. But every little bit helps I guess.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:40 pm

sogood wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:All I can say is that coverage 9 did of the TDU was abysmal and pathetic they should be ashamed.
Which sporting event coverage have you been impressed and happy with? Personally I thought it was pretty decent. At the same time, it's always hard to please everyone... Or rather impossible. :mrgreen:
Glad you enjoyed it and that's all that matters but for the TDU it's a far cry from what SBS would present to the viewers and the amount of coverage given.

Ricky

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46 pm

zozza wrote:I didn't like the coverage and didn't watch it.
Classic! :mrgreen:

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 pm

How do you know you didn't like the coverage if you didn't watch it? :?

:P

RonK

TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 pm

CommuRider wrote:No Eastlake yet. Fingers crossed he doesn't grace the audio.
He won't. Eastlake has Alzheimer's, dementia and emphysema. I'm not even sure he is still alive. I've never been an Eastlake fan, but continued jokes about him show about as much taste as Abbott's crack about the sunken cruise liner.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

briztoon wrote:
How do you know you didn't like the coverage if you didn't watch it? :?

It's quite easy. There are lots of horrible green (really healthy) vege's that I can't stand even though I've probably never eaten them.

:P

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Crikey, how soon we all forget.

Whilst there is little doubt that a cycling based team (SBS) would have done better, it wasn't that long ago that we got NOTHING.

Now at least, thanks to SBS, and hopefully Nein, we will continue to get more.

Nein only just got the rights, so maybe next year will be better, given the stick they have received, and the potential 'help' from ASO.

I'm sometimes a glass half full guy.

philip

Postby philip » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Oxford wrote:over thinking it? maybe. how does it relate to this discussion? Nein are siphoning a sport
... lol, how do you come up with this stuff, are you an english teacher?

Ok give me a go too...

Maybe the glass (your expectations) is too big. Get a glass half the size and it will be full.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Or if the glass was a VB stubby it would not matter how much is in it, it would still be unpalatable.

The glass once broken could be used to sort out troublemakers though. So even empty it is useful. If Warnie was around we could fix up the bits of his head the surgeon missed.
Certified Brand Snob

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 pm

RonK wrote:
CommuRider wrote:No Eastlake yet. Fingers crossed he doesn't grace the audio.
He won't. Eastlake has Alzheimer's, dementia and emphysema. I'm not even sure he is still alive. I've never been an Eastlake fan, but continued jokes about him show about as much taste as Abbott's crack about the sunken cruise liner.
I wasn't joking about him. Andrew Voss of C9 mentioned on the first day of the TdU highlights tht he was going to commentate the weekend's live footage which never eventuated. Send an email to Voss/C9 why he brought Eastlake's name into the broadcast. *shrugs*

Is Voss a work experience boy?

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm

CommuRider wrote:Is Voss a work experience boy?
I was riding with someone yesterday who said he's something to do with rugby.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:03 pm

grasshopper wrote:
Should be with C7 then and succeed Gordon Bray. Must have been bought by C9 for the disastrous RWC coverage. If Kerry Packer were still alive today he would be pretty appalled with the self-destruction of the channel. Karl Stefanovic wouldn't have lasted a minute.

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

grasshopper wrote:
He calls Rugby League, as opposed to Rugby. Makes a good fist of it.

As much as I like a good Channel 9 bash, I must say I've found this over the top. The coverage and commentary, while not ideal, wasn't that bad either.

And there's no doubt getting mainstream FTA coverage is a positive thing for the sport and the event. It's a bit like your favourite secret restaurant getting a great write up in the Sydney Morning Herald or your favourite band you used to watch down the local pub enjoying mainstream success. In a way it's sad, but it's a big and positive step

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

I agree with the above post. Dam site better getting this coverage on main stream (though not as good as SBS) than nothing at all! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm

sogood wrote:
zozza wrote:I didn't like the schedule on CH9 so I didn't watch it.
Classic! :mrgreen:
(Edited for Yoda) :mrgreen:

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

zozza wrote:Image
Zozza! I'll have to use that as my avatar. :mrgreen: