Is there any such thing as a cheap 'bent?

DaveW

Is there any such thing as a cheap 'bent?

Postby DaveW » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:27 pm

I have posted elsewhere about bike choice, and my requirements are htere - so the question?

Is there a wothwhile 'bent anywhee close to the $1000 mark?
Or even cheaper would be better.

I like the idea and the look of the UBS but having never riden one what would I kow? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another thing I guess would be with reference to the trikes - are they OK on bike paths and do they fit though domestic doors?
At work I can keep it inside but I can't open the garage door early.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:31 pm

G'day Dave, I subscribe to the notion that 'Bents are generally over priced and underspec'd, so IMO it follows that if you're on the look out for a cheap brand new bent then it will be spec'd proportionately cheaper again. My tip, keep your eye on the for sale section of forums or ebay and try to snag a good second hand unit. I saw a Rans 20/20go for under 1K a couple of weeks ago on ebay and the owner claimed it had done less than 100 km, so they are out there.

best of luck

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:08 am

Even the most popular recumbents are produced in very small numbers compared to mass market upright bikes, so without the same economies of scale that come with full on mass production the frames end up rather expensive, closer to a custom built frame than a Giant/Avanti/Trek/whatever that's made by the millions. Consequently for a given price point you generally end up with lower spec components and a heavier frame if you buy a recumbent compared to what you'd get for the same money with an upright. It's the cost premium associated with buying into a niche market, unfortunately.

That said, there are some decent recumbents available for not much more than $1k. Just Bents in WA have some from around $1100 (Richard a.k.a. Europa has one of theirs), Flying Furniture in Canberra have bikes from about $1400 and CruzBike have interesting front wheel drive recumbents (designed in Perth) from $1000.

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:53 am

Just Bents look good and my wife seems to like the idea of a trike more than a bike for me - I think it is the bit about them being harder to fall off! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any views on their product as they are considerably cheaper than most others and of course local for me here in WA.

This is way outside my original price range, but the wife seems far happier with the idea for lots of reasons - not the least that it would seem better for my back.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:39 pm

DaveW wrote:Just Bents Any views on their product as they are considerably cheaper than most others and of course local for me here in WA.
hi dave

Best way to find out about them is go and look, and ride them. You could perhaps also visit BikeForce in South Perth and ride a Greenspeed GT3 for comparison. PM me and you can come and have a look at my Greenspeed GTR, though it's now ten years old so not really a fair comparison. Happy to talk trikes all day.

I've not ridden any of Craig's trikes, but the welds are neat and everything looks clean and tight. Specs are not top of the range, but they seem pretty good for the price!

Craig is a friend of mine through the WAHPV group, and I have assisted him with the build ups of a couple of his bikes.

cheers

glen

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Dave,

Come along on one of the weekend rides we do with the WAHPV. Any rider on a human powered vehicle is welcome (including Malvern Star mountain bikes ;)), we are very friendly and you'll get to ride one of Craig's trikes/bikes if you ask nicely! You'll also get to see a variety of styles of 'bent in one place and chat with their owners.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

chuckchunder

what graeme said

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:10 pm

on this mornings ride logo, greenspeed and justbent trikes were represented as were four different bent bikes. lots of fun for all.......

cheers

glen

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:56 pm

I was torn between riding the 'bent or going mountain biking this morning. The dirt won. :wink:

Jarrahdale rocks!

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:28 pm

Dave,

I remember reading that you intend to commute 42km each way on this new bike or trike of yours.

A 2 x 42km commute is going to take a fair slice of your day, even on a very fast bike. You can expect the CBD-home trip to take at least 90 minutes when you are fit and the wind is low. It will be closer to 2 hours each day when there is any wind and before you get bike-fit.

For instance, I'm now bike fit and not really a slouch on my 'bent (very few single riders ever overtake me). My 26km commute into the city (when I do it) takes me 50 minutes and about 60 minutes back in the summer. That's an average of 26 to 29km/h.

Trikes aren't noted for their speed, but rather as long-distance, modest speed rides. Great for those who are keen for fun or intend to tour at a sedate pace over thousands of kms. That's going to exacerbate the time spent commuting. Do you have 3 to 4 hours to spare each day?

However, the good news is that while you're on the trike, you won't give a damn! You'll be having a blast ......

Cheers,
Graeme

(You can still commute, but you may need to do "half-commutes": riding in, training home, training in, riding home, and so on.)
---------------------

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Hey Graeme, it takes me 1.30 to get in now by foot and train, and I reckon once I work up to fitness I should be able to go close to that.

I like the idea of the trike but a few things worry me:
1. Some people say they are slower, but how much slower for someone of my (eventual :roll: ) pace? Would it really make that much difference to me - ten minutes wouldn't worry me much.
2. As my plan is to "ride to the next station" as my fitness builds - I am not sure I would feel right taking the space of a trike on the train - even though I go early there are still a few people on the train at 6am!
That means that I would have to build up "cycling fitness" on my old bike before working up "bent fitness" so I can start the whole ride.

That's OK in one way as I can't afford a bent right now anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that is my biggest driver - price.
I'm afraid that although I like the look and the rep of the Greenspeeds, I just can't afford one - although I am enquiring about a "kit".

I will go to the JustBents shop as I get closer to making the final decision - although I may just nip onto the HPV site and keep watch for a meet! :wink:

exadios

Re: what graeme said

Postby exadios » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:04 pm

chuckchunder wrote:on this mornings ride logo, greenspeed and justbent trikes were represented as were four different bent bikes. lots of fun for all.......

cheers

glen
Who was there with the Logo?

Cheers