TdU Channel Nine coverage

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Or if the glass was a VB stubby it would not matter how much is in it, it would still be unpalatable.

The glass once broken could be used to sort out troublemakers though. So even empty it is useful. If Warnie was around we could fix up the bits of his head the surgeon missed.
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider

by BNA » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm

BNA

Postby Oxford » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm

philip wrote:
Oxford wrote:over thinking it? maybe. how does it relate to this discussion? Nein are siphoning a sport

... lol, how do you come up with this stuff, are you an english teacher?

no not a teacher, all respect to teachers, but I couldn't do it. just a person who thinks outside the square.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:48 pm

RonK wrote:
CommuRider wrote:No Eastlake yet. Fingers crossed he doesn't grace the audio.

He won't. Eastlake has Alzheimer's, dementia and emphysema. I'm not even sure he is still alive. I've never been an Eastlake fan, but continued jokes about him show about as much taste as Abbott's crack about the sunken cruise liner.

I wasn't joking about him. Andrew Voss of C9 mentioned on the first day of the TdU highlights tht he was going to commentate the weekend's live footage which never eventuated. Send an email to Voss/C9 why he brought Eastlake's name into the broadcast. *shrugs*

Is Voss a work experience boy?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby grasshopper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

CommuRider wrote:Is Voss a work experience boy?

I was riding with someone yesterday who said he's something to do with rugby.
grasshopper

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:03 pm

grasshopper wrote:

Should be with C7 then and succeed Gordon Bray. Must have been bought by C9 for the disastrous RWC coverage. If Kerry Packer were still alive today he would be pretty appalled with the self-destruction of the channel. Karl Stefanovic wouldn't have lasted a minute.
CommuRider

Postby The_Eggman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 pm

grasshopper wrote:

He calls Rugby League, as opposed to Rugby. Makes a good fist of it.

As much as I like a good Channel 9 bash, I must say I've found this over the top. The coverage and commentary, while not ideal, wasn't that bad either.

And there's no doubt getting mainstream FTA coverage is a positive thing for the sport and the event. It's a bit like your favourite secret restaurant getting a great write up in the Sydney Morning Herald or your favourite band you used to watch down the local pub enjoying mainstream success. In a way it's sad, but it's a big and positive step
The_Eggman

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:48 pm

I agree with the above post. Dam site better getting this coverage on main stream (though not as good as SBS) than nothing at all! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby zozza » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 pm

sogood wrote:
zozza wrote:I didn't like the schedule on CH9 so I didn't watch it.

Classic! :mrgreen:

(Edited for Yoda) :mrgreen:

zozza

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:13 pm

zozza wrote:Image

Zozza! I'll have to use that as my avatar. :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:Crikey, how soon we all forget.

Whilst there is little doubt that a cycling based team (SBS) would have done better, it wasn't that long ago that we got NOTHING.

Now at least, thanks to SBS, and hopefully Nein, we will continue to get more.

Nein only just got the rights, so maybe next year will be better, given the stick they have received, and the potential 'help' from ASO.

I'm sometimes a glass half full guy.

My opinion is that we're well beyond just being happy that cycling is on TV at all and that we're entitled to have expectations. We're also entitled to express our displeasure when our expectations aren't met. It's not like Nine has saved us from a blackout re the TDU. SBS have done it every year since it's inception and were keen to continue their association with the TDU.

Let's not forget that SBS have been delivering cycling coverage in some form since the 80's and that their commitment to the sport continues to grow....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBS_Sport

There's no need to go cap in hand to Nine and give thanks for just putting it on, it would have been on TV anyway and we could have had the added bonus of Matt Keenan, a knowledgeable, passionate and articulate cycling fan.

I only hope that Voss and the Nine crew that worked on the TDU report back to Nine management about the genuine buzz there is about the race and that Nine try to make improvements next year and spend a little more promoting it. As someone has already said, they have a good product on their hands.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby Baldy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:36 pm

The quality product is what saved the day for 9

Well the product and the hill finish. If it were not for that we could have been watching 2 live stages of leadout train practice. Plus the late night highlights+Andrew Voss......yep, 9 can thank Turtur and the athletes for making their mediocre effort look ok overall.

Its a start but they need to improve quite a bit next year to pass muster again.

Next year they had better promote it like they do for the other stuff,renovators,fat losers,fat cooks ......yeah...
Baldy

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 am

Chuck wrote:My opinion is that we're well beyond just being happy that cycling is on TV at all and that we're entitled to have expectations. We're also entitled to express our displeasure when our expectations aren't met...

Express displeasures yes, but entitled? What does one get for free? Where's the Hare Krishna free lunch?

Show the money and one'll be "entitled" to ride in the team car, just like Gerry Ryan. :mrgreen:
sogood

Postby philip » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 am

Interesting analysis of the ratings compared with SBS from previous years here: http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2012/01/ ... -analysis/
philip

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm

sogood wrote:
Chuck wrote:My opinion is that we're well beyond just being happy that cycling is on TV at all and that we're entitled to have expectations. We're also entitled to express our displeasure when our expectations aren't met...

Express displeasures yes, but entitled? What does one get for free? Where's the Hare Krishna free lunch?

Show the money and one'll be "entitled" to ride in the team car, just like Gerry Ryan. :mrgreen:

14600 odd posts and you never once expressed displeasure because you never felt entitled! Man you haven't lived! Let me be the first to invite you out of your shell, you are good enough :mrgreen:
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Chuck wrote:14600 odd posts and you never once expressed displeasure because you never felt entitled! Man you haven't lived! Let me be the first to invite you out of your shell, you are good enough :mrgreen:

Getting personal again?

Staying on topic. There's a significant difference b/n expressing displeasure versus feeling entitled on something that has no basis for entitlement.

Philip's link provided good factual basis for this switch to Ch9. And now we have three free-to-air TV channels (Ch9, SBS1, SBS2) covering major road cycling events. That's a good thing.
sogood

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:06 pm

sogood wrote:Getting personal again?

I wouldn't mind a dollar for everytime you've written that and yet you've also talked in the past about thin skinned people on forums?? I have gone off topic :oops: I'll move on :)
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:27 pm

philip wrote:Interesting analysis of the ratings compared with SBS from previous years here: http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2012/01/ ... -analysis/

Poor ratings by commercial standards. Hope C9 realises it isn't much worth to them and give it back to SBS where they show programs for the love of them (remember Top Gear?). Think about it C9, you could have been showing movies and repeated US comedy shows over that weekend.
CommuRider

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 pm

So for the weekend's live coverage:
2011 - SBS: 109,000 viewers
2012 - Ch 9: 291,000 viewers (2.7 times the 2011 SBS audience)

End of the day, a lot more people watched Ch9 coverage than SBS. I can't see how that is bad for the sport.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Very interesting - you really have to look at all of the stats and I think Wade did a pretty good job of presenting the info without presenting an opinion.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 pm

CommuRider wrote: Hope C9 realises it isn't much worth to them and give it back to SBS

Not me, CR ... even though I'd actually pay for a dedicated cycling channel, I'd prefer to triple the number of Australians watching the event ... which Nein have just about achieved.

Greater good, all that.
clackers

Postby Oxford » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:17 pm

clackers wrote:
CommuRider wrote: Hope C9 realises it isn't much worth to them and give it back to SBS

Not me, CR ... even though I'd actually pay for a dedicated cycling channel, I'd prefer to triple the number of Australians watching the event ... which Nein have just about achieved.

Greater good, all that.

Not sure you can attribute the entire increase in numbers to Nein alone. As the blog says, what effect has Cadel's TdF win, the new GreenEdge team or Warniegate had on the numbers. Some of the increase is to do with many factors that will never be quantified.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Oxford wrote:
clackers wrote:

Greater good, all that.

Not sure you can attribute the entire increase in numbers to Nein alone. As the blog says, what effect has Cadel's TdF win, the new GreenEdge team or Warniegate had on the numbers. Some of the increase is to do with many factors that will never be quantified.

Exactly Oxford plus the other thing is I bet many of the increase number of viewers wouldn't watch a SBS broadcast as it's not a station they would normal watch anyway it's just that 9 had a sporting event on and people just sat there watching it because it was on one of there viewing channels they consistently watch so I wouldn't place any faith in those numbers. If it went back to SBS you can bet the numbers would fall again because those that don't tune into SBS wouldn't again tune in even if they watched the event on 9 this time it's just a habit thing. Many folks leave there TV on even if not watching it so I dare say a great percentage of those that just leave there TV on not even in front of it wouldn't have it tuned into SBS it would be on one of the other stations.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:14 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Exactly Oxford plus the other thing is I bet many of the increase number of viewers wouldn't watch a SBS broadcast as it's not a station they would normal watch anyway it's just that 9 had a sporting event on and people just sat there watching it because it was on one of there viewing channels they consistently watch so I wouldn't place any faith in those numbers. If it went back to SBS you can bet the numbers would fall again because those that don't tune into SBS wouldn't again tune in even if they watched the event on 9 this time it's just a habit thing. Many folks leave there TV on even if not watching it so I dare say a great percentage of those that just leave there TV on not even in front of it wouldn't have it tuned into SBS it would be on one of the other stations.

But that's the whole point - the sport is getting exposed to more than double the TV audience than it would have on SBS. What's wrong with that?
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Oxford » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Exactly Oxford plus the other thing is I bet many of the increase number of viewers wouldn't watch a SBS broadcast as it's not a station they would normal watch anyway it's just that 9 had a sporting event on and people just sat there watching it because it was on one of there viewing channels they consistently watch so I wouldn't place any faith in those numbers. If it went back to SBS you can bet the numbers would fall again because those that don't tune into SBS wouldn't again tune in even if they watched the event on 9 this time it's just a habit thing. Many folks leave there TV on even if not watching it so I dare say a great percentage of those that just leave there TV on not even in front of it wouldn't have it tuned into SBS it would be on one of the other stations.

But that's the whole point - the sport is getting exposed to more than double the TV audience than it would have on SBS. What's wrong with that?

}SkOrPn--7's point and I agree somewhat is that often people just leave the TV on for background noise and they are likely to leave it on a channel they are familiar with such as Nein, almost like a security blanket of sorts. I know we often just leave the TV on in our house for background noise. I imagine if there was no cycling on then the TV would still be tuned into anything else that Nein had on during the day for many people, even if they are not watching it.

not sure how ratings are collected nowadays but whatever the system there are going to be holes in it somewhere.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Oxford wrote:}SkOrPn--7's point and I agree somewhat is that often people just leave the TV on for background noise and they are likely to leave it on a channel they are familiar with such as Nein, almost like a security blanket of sorts. I know we often just leave the TV on in our house for background noise. I imagine if there was no cycling on then the TV would still be tuned into anything else that Nein had on during the day for many people, even if they are not watching it.

not sure how ratings are collected nowadays but whatever the system there are going to be holes in it somewhere.

Well following that logic through, then relatively the same proportion of people who typically have their TV on SBS would leave SBS on as background noise as well.

IOW the numbers are a valid indicator of the relative viewing audience.

By continually referring to "nein" you are simply showing a bias and unwillingness to accept the evidence.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events