Border Loop ride

koen

Border Loop ride

Postby koen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:19 am

Just a heads up on a ride I am doing next month in case anyone wants to come along to see what its like.
I have also posted this on Retro biking forum.

Sunday 22nd January 2012 leaving Queen Mary Falls at about 6am on old road bike (non-steel bikes would be tolerated :) ) for a loop of approximately 100klm.

The last 7ks to Queen Mary is quite uphill. The route is partly gravel roads via Killarney, Cullendore Gate Road, Mt Lindsay Hway, Legume, Queen Mary Falls.
Not sure how long it might take. Depends on the number of punctures and the number of stops to chat in the shade. 5hrs??

Queen Mary Falls Caravan Park is a favourite of mine and a nice place to overnight.
Any easygoing self reliant folk are welcome to come along.

koen

Re: Border Loop ride

Postby koen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Plans are looking good for this Sunday's ride. Hopefully weather will be kind.
Leaving Queen Mary Falls about 6am, through Killarney maybe 6.15am. I think its about 80k's in a loop from Killarney to Killarney. My wife will have my Express van in case of severe difficulties, hoping we can ring her from somewhere if needed. She will wait back in Killarney in case we don't want to ride uphill after the ride. (Never done this route before so only guessing difficulty)
I am riding my 50yo Holdsworth with wooden wheels and singles with a few spares in case anyone else rides singles and wants to ride some of it with us. No flats I hope :)

spinner

Postby spinner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm

I won't be able to make it, unfortunately. Looks like a worthwhile ride though :D
Hope it's not to hot or too wet!

koen

Postby koen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 am

Weather was great and this loop is a really nice pretty 96ks.
I was expecting more strada bianca but they have sealed alot of Mt Lindsay "Hwy" now so there was only about 10ks all up. Maybe a dozen cars the whole way until we got back to Queen Mary Falls road after 10am. No punctures and I rode it on old singles. You have to carry any fluids you need though. The hills are not too steep anywhere and none are very large though you do go up and down quite a bit in the last 50ks and there are a couple of great descents. I am putting it on my list to do again for sure.

koen

Postby koen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am

I should also have added that I made some great new cycling friends after a few came along upon reading my invitation.
My kids had warned me though... "Dad, you shouldn't meet people you just met on the internet! They might be 12yo girls only pretending to be old men" :)

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:38 pm

what a brilliant ride.
well actually i had to abandon the ride at about 60 km due to mechanical issues, enough said.

the relatively small distance of white gravel is sort of nice to ride on but sometimes a bit loose and corrugated.
maybe i will ride it with 700x28 or 35 next time.

here is a photo, but i could have taken a hundred photos.
real nice country for riding.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:15 pm

koen wrote: My kids had warned me though... "Dad, you shouldn't meet people you just met on the internet! They might be 12yo girls only pretending to be old men" :)

:lol:

Sounds like a great ride. One day I’ll have the ability to participate
2012 Oppy A4

Amonza

Postby Amonza » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Looks like an interesting ride. Any maps to provide?