How much do you eat and how often

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
sogood

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 am

Apple wrote: :lol: :lol: Just shows you, what waste we have and over supply of food. We should have an exchange program every year for a month, that way we all get a turn at being gluttons
Odd thing is, those families on the "1/4 loaf dinner diet" don't have any over-weight problems. And most of them are fit workers working for their next 1/4 loaf.

So what's the problem with BREAD again? :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 am

sogood wrote:[Odd thing is, those families on the "1/4 loaf dinner diet" don't have any over-weight problems. And most of them are fit workers working for their next 1/4 loaf.

So what's the problem with BREAD again? :shock:
This is the problem. Quantity
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:09 am

Apple wrote:This is the problem. Quantity
Ahhh... So it has less to do with processed vs unprocessed, micro vs macro, brown vs white, organic vs non-organic, genetic modified vs non-genetic modified. Thanks for the pointer. :mrgreen:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 am

And quantity is a problem because........of cravings.
Be a different world if we craved salad as much, rather than bread.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:20 am

sogood wrote:
Ahhh... So it has less to do with processed vs unprocessed, micro vs macro, brown vs white, organic vs non-organic, genetic modified vs non-genetic modified. Thanks for the pointer. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You know that I am well aware that obesity/ over weight is all due to over eating. That is my belief. Unfortunately some foods have an addictive side effects because they taste so good and are so yummy, that we eat more then we need. So my theory is that I don't eat anything that I can’t stop eating. One of those is fresh Vienna bread or any bread. I limit my bread intake
1 to 2 slices of multigrain bread every 2 days.
I no longer buy Almonds because I would eat the whole lot. I have a problem with self restraint :oops:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:28 am

Apple wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Unfortunately some foods have an addictive side effects because they taste so good and are so yummy, that we eat more then we need. So my theory is that I don't eat anything that I can’t stop eating... I have a problem with self restraint :oops:
May I offer you the FORCE!
Courtesy Zozza

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am

PawPaw wrote: And quantity is a problem because........of cravings.
Well now that you mention it, cravings were my problem/ weakness.

It was an total fluke that a guy at work was asking about MSG which I promptly googled & discovered to my horror that one of the side effects was cravings. This doesn't apply to everybody, but as I soon found out after cutting out all MSG related foods it had a huge effect on me.

MSG is not only added it is also naturally occurring in most foods to a point. So I made a concerted effort to remove the worst of them from daily use & lost all my food cravings + 20kg over 12 months.

The big MSG offenders for me were parmasen cheese, yeast extract (Vegemite), cheese powders & flavourings on corn chips & rice biscuits, + any foods with the ingredients listing the numbers from E620 up to E699 which are ALL flavour enhances.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:The big MSG offenders for me were parmasen cheese, yeast extract (Vegemite), cheese powders & flavourings on corn chips & rice biscuits, + any foods with the ingredients listing the numbers from E620 up to E699 which are ALL flavour enhances.
It scares me how much I can crave bread sometimes, for no apparent reason. While dieting, I'll have a slice or two for snacks with vegemite, because of the low Cals and get a bit of salt in after a big ride. But I'll have to review vegemite's ingredients.

I still do weetbix for breakky and a bread or wrap sandwich for lunch, but mainly have stir fries for dinner with a small portion of rice noodles.
I think my cravings settle down when I don't get overly tired or stressed, dehydrated, get the rest of the diet sorted, and eat regularly.
When I think about it, the cravings are more a sense of emptiness in the belly and a feeling of low blood sugar, and I've noted if I get up and do something different, or go for a walk, or have a drink of water, the craving settles....not all the time though. So it is an interesting phenomenon.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:09 pm

PawPaw wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:The big MSG offenders for me were parmasen cheese, yeast extract (Vegemite), cheese powders & flavourings on corn chips & rice biscuits, + any foods with the ingredients listing the numbers from E620 up to E699 which are ALL flavour enhances.
It scares me how much I can crave bread sometimes, for no apparent reason. While dieting, I'll have a slice or two for snacks with vegemite, because of the low Cals and get a bit of salt in after a big ride. But I'll have to review vegemite's ingredients.

I still do weetbix for breakky and a bread or wrap sandwich for lunch, but mainly have stir fries for dinner with a small portion of rice noodles.
I think my cravings settle down when I don't get overly tired or stressed, dehydrated, get the rest of the diet sorted, and eat regularly.
When I think about it, the cravings are more a sense of emptiness in the belly and a feeling of low blood sugar, and I've noted if I get up and do something different, or go for a walk, or have a drink of water, the craving settles....not all the time though. So it is an interesting phenomenon.
I think when people diet they have a tendency to limit food choices... there are so many choices out there that are healthy.

I've just discovered Quinoa and who knew lentils tasted so good and that Felafel and Tuna really work well together :) Although it's hard, I'm having fun trying new things and looking for new recipe's (sp?). I'm making Quinoa, vegetable and chicken soup tomorrow!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Apple wrote:
sogood wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You know that I am well aware that obesity/ over weight is all due to over eating. That is my belief. Unfortunately some foods have an addictive side effects because they taste so good and are so yummy, that we eat more then we need. So my theory is that I don't eat anything that I can’t stop eating. One of those is fresh Vienna bread or any bread. I limit my bread intake
1 to 2 slices of multigrain bread every 2 days.
I no longer buy Almonds because I would eat the whole lot. I have a problem with self restraint :oops:

I am dieting at present. But toast is my snack. The allowance is 2 slices with flora lite and marmite (500kj each). This is on top of 1.5 sandwiches for lunch and two toast for breakfast. I have a first breakfast on training mornings of weetbix too. I don't think you need to be breadless on a diet. I have dropped from my Christmas weight of 80kg (so much fun getting there) to 78.2 in three weeks. I have been doing 450km per week of base miles over that period.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Parker wrote:I think when people diet they have a tendency to limit food choices... there are so many choices out there that are healthy.

I've just discovered Quinoa and who knew lentils tasted so good and that Felafel and Tuna really work well together :) Although it's hard, I'm having fun trying new things and looking for new recipe's (sp?). I'm making Quinoa, vegetable and chicken soup tomorrow!
I agree we limit things. I've done quinoa before for breakfast, and afaik, it is a very healthy gluten free alternative.
I've also done puffed rice as a gluten free choice, with soy or rice milk.

Agree things like lentils and felafel are good. In fact, most stuff that has been a mainstay of any older culture is probably good for you, mainly because it is not heavily processed....however, good to remember we're more sedentary than our forefathers, so don't have the same need for high energy starches.
As it gets colder, I generally make soup with a base of lentils or legumes and any veges left over from the week, then freeze it for use when I CBF'ed cooking.

I'm always happy to try something new, but I suppose I fall back onto what has worked before, and fits a bit with others in the house, and what I don't have to think about too much.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 pm

PawPaw wrote:I also started Oroxine 1.5 weeks ago due to a burned out thyroid gland (you get old and shlt happens). Read up on what a lack of thyroid hormone does when you are trying to cut excess body fat.
Commiserations, been on the stuff 6+ years now. Doc caught the decline early before weight became a problem but it definitely put me on notice. Haven't boned up on it for a while though ... Got links / book recommendations?
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:29 pm

sogood wrote:
Apple wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Unfortunately some foods have an addictive side effects because they taste so good and are so yummy, that we eat more then we need. So my theory is that I don't eat anything that I can’t stop eating... I have a problem with self restraint :oops:
May I offer you the FORCE!
Courtesy Zozza
So you see sogood we have always seen eye to eye on the balance of life related to input V output in food intake. :P

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:35 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:

There is nothing 'evil' about bread!.......... it is highly processed.......... it is basically just a carbohydrate........ White bread is the worst of the lot...
I agree bread is not "EVIL", but have you looked at the content of 95% of shopping trolleys while cruising the isles at the local supermarket ?

4 loaves of bread :evil: & 6 litres of milk :evil: . There's a bakery (or 2 or 3) in every shopping complex.

Bread :evil: is pushed onto unsuspecting consumers without any concern of the effects it will have.

Yes we do have the choice not to purchase bread :evil: along with Coke :evil: & copious amounts of alcohol :evil: , but the poor old average Joe is saturated by the presence of these products hence thinking it is normal.

I know most of us on here are probably beyond that way of thinking, but I feel this ever growing (bulging) society has no hope.

ps-- Don't hold me to this as it's information passed on without any personal research, but I was told "Wholemeal" bread :evil: is the worst of all. Hits the body, is converted to sugar then stored as fat. Like most breads.
Oh boy, the bolded part is why society has no hope.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Addictr3 wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:
ps-- Don't hold me to this as it's information passed on without any personal research, but I was told "Wholemeal" bread :evil: is the worst of all. Hits the body, is converted to sugar then stored as fat. Like most breads.
Oh boy, the bolded part is why society has no hope.
Mmmm I'm going to take that comment with a grain of salt. As I stated it is information "passed on" & would genuinely be interested in your views on this ?

My reasoning why whole meal bread is worse than good old white bread is due to the fact that whole meal bread is marketed as the healthy alternative. "As far as I know" the outcome from eating white or brown (whole meal) is very similar.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Lizzy wrote:Commiserations, been on the stuff 6+ years now. Doc caught the decline early before weight became a problem but it definitely put me on notice. Haven't boned up on it for a while though ... Got links / book recommendations?
just what my doc told me so far...fat stores are not as readily accessed with low thyroid hormone. and general energy levels are lower, as you'd probably know.
I am still on an intro dose, and haven't really noticed any energy level diff or appetite suppressing effects.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm

When do you ever eat a piece of bread without something that contains fat?
That fat will suppress any sorta of :o 'OMGosh white bread!' insulin response.

In regards to my comment, I didnt mean to offend, its just that is how myths start, word of mouth, incorrect statements. I can sense you already knew they were speaking rubbish but I thought I would bold that statement :P

The word you used about Brown/Wholemeal (marketed) that clearly sums up why people believe it to be healthier, and thus that is why so much BS. Difference in White/Brown would be your Minerals/Vitamins. Insulin/GI index well, if you want to go there, here a good article for the GI
GI gives us clues to the behavior of certain foods, but that's exactly the main point of this article. Clues; mere hints are all we get from our current knowledge of GI. Successful application of GI is most consistent when we use higher GI sources to enhance the speed of postworkout glycogenesis, and that's about it. Carb foods are better judged on the basis of degree processing, refinement, or alteration/removal of micronutrition -- NOT on the basis of GI, or even GL. This is as good a time as any to crush the folly of what I call "food discrimination". A prime example of this is cutting out potatoes on the basis of GI. This happens all the time, & the dieter takes pride in thinking he/she is being prudent. Well, the critical thing to realize here is that all food species in nature have unique nutrient profiles. Therefore, unique nutritional benefit can be derived from each species. The natural matrix of plant &/or animal tissue cannot be duplicated in the lab, & hence there are many unidentified beneficial agents in, say, the humble potato. As a matter of trivia, it surpasses bananas in potassium & vitamin C concentration. Not to mention, it provides default hydration, and of course is a great whole-food source of starch. The list goes on & on.

Satiety, micronutrient density, insulin response, & surrounding factors altering glucose kinetics are all much like a roll of the dice in terms of bottom-line certainty & reliability of GI. Like all things in science - especially the deep bubbly cauldron that is applied nutritional science - it ain't all that simple. All avenues in this area are winding & complex.
Link here for further reading;
http://alanaragon.com/elements-challeng ... index.html

Cheers

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

PawPaw wrote:...fat stores are not as readily accessed with low thyroid hormone...
Then get the thyroid problem fixed first! Fixing low thyroid hormone is probably one of the easiest clinical condition to manage. Guess what, top up a bit more thyroxin and fat stores will empty faster than you can finish a loaf of bread. ;)

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:56 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
ps-- .......... "Wholemeal" bread ........ is converted to sugar then stored as fat. Like most breads.
That's true for all carbohydrates, not just bread (wholemeal or otherwise). However the sugar will only be stored as to fat if it's surplus to requirements.

It doesn't matter how you look it, it all comes down to energy intake vs energy expenditure. If you take in less than you burn off, you will lose fat. It really is that simple.

Keep in mind though that diet and exercise is only the means to an end. The ultimate goal is to live long and enjoy every minute of it!
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Downhill wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:
ps-- .......... "Wholemeal" bread ........ is converted to sugar then stored as fat. Like most breads.
That's true for all carbohydrates, not just bread (wholemeal or otherwise). However the sugar will only be stored as to fat if it's surplus to requirements.

It doesn't matter how you look it, it all comes down to energy intake vs energy expenditure. If you take in less than you burn off, you will lose fat. It really is that simple.

Keep in mind though that diet and exercise is only the means to an end. The ultimate goal is to live long and enjoy every minute of it!

lol at how carbs get such a bad name, carbs dont just enter our bodies and go, yep, time to make this person fat. Look at your second sentence, you say its all about energy, so why would all carbs be stored as fat if its energy?

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Downhill wrote:[It doesn't matter how you look it, it all comes down to energy intake vs energy expenditure. If you take in less than you burn off, you will lose fat. It really is that simple.
I would have to agree with this, +1

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 am

Addictr3 wrote:
Downhill wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:

lol at how carbs get such a bad name, carbs dont just enter our bodies and go, yep, time to make this person fat. Look at your second sentence, you say its all about energy, so why would all carbs be stored as fat if its energy?
Not "all carbs". Only those that that the body doesn't need immediately. The excess carbs (i.e. sugars and starches) are converted to fats and stored for future use. Obviously the chemistry is a little more complex than that, but the basic idea still stands.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:21 am

Last 3 days I have had nothing but honey and hot water... good 1/2 kg of honey I would think. Better than cough syrup for a sore throat.
Funnily enough I have lost 2 kilos already... bet I have lost a serious chunk of form as well considering I lost a couple of kilos last week with a nasty bout of gastro :roll: .

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:33 am

Downhill wrote: Obviously the chemistry is a little more complex than that, but the basic idea still stands.
+1

I looked at a diet sales pitch video recently which has really got me thinking about this "more complex Chemistry" you speak of.

No I'm not going to fork out $47 for a diet plan, but the 15 minute video has some very interesting basic information about GOOD fats verses BAD fats.

It basically states that the good fats will burn off the bad fats when eaten in the correct quantities among other things.

The presenters/ sales people are very annoying, but if you can handle watching the presentation I think it's quite interesting.

Link to video>>>>>>>>>http://www.beyonddiet.com/bd/landing

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Not "all carbs". Only those that that the body doesn't need immediately. The excess carbs (i.e. sugars and starches) are converted to fats and stored for future use. Obviously the chemistry is a little more complex than that, but the basic idea still stands.
OK you seem to be missing the point;

When you over-eat you gain weight (correct?) Carbs dont ever get stored as fat. But.. If you over-eat yes, you store fat. (remember its energy we are talking about) the body doesnt care what a banana is, or what white bread is, at the end of the day its about energy to provide the body.

Please read;

1.Carbs are rarely converted to fat and stored as such
2.When you eat more carbs you burn more carbs and less fat; eat less carbs and you burn less carbs and more fat
3.Protein is basically never going to be converted to fat and stored as such
4.When you eat more protein, you burn more protein (and by extension, less carbs and less fat); eat less protein and you burn less protein (and by extension, more carbs and more fat)
5.Ingested dietary fat is primarily stored, eating more of it doesn’t impact on fat oxidation to a significant degree