Mugglechops

Re: Claim your bragging rights!

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 pm

I rode to the vets last night and picked up a small vial of Baytrill :D

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 pm

rdp_au wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:This is on top of my work clothes, toilet trees and lunch box,
I hope that creative bit of phonetic spelling was intentional...
It was...

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Yeah like plenty of others I use the bikes for pretty much everything. I re-registered the car just before xmas and have used it once since, to get a couple of bales of hay/straw and a few bags of soil.

My favourite bike after some xmas shopping. I have a front rack and bags for touring or if I need more space, I generally dont so I leave it off most of the time.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Ok Baldy, you win. :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Nice... another good one I had was climbing on the MTB with two kids in the baby trailer up a 20% gradient :D full brutal!

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 pm

A box of..... ladybugs?
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 pm

jet-ski wrote:A box of..... ladybugs?
:lol: Thats a lot of Ladybugs!

It was a JD Bug balance bike for my little 2yo niece. They are really light so that was no problem, each pannier weighed a fair bit more. Ive had heavier stuff on it, rolls of chickenwire/bird mesh were one of the heavier and got the most weird looks 8)

The box was just bulky/wider than usual. I kept reminding myself to clear the gates on the bike path but still brushed one :oops: :lol:

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm

ah, cute!

I often brush the gates on the bridge over the Entertainment Centre overpass in Perth with almost any load on my xtracycle.... no big deal usually :) though one day I put a bit of a dent in the box I was carrying :P but it's a lot harder trying to get the Bike Friday Travelcase Trailer through there, bang the wheels on them regularly - again mainly OK, mainly just bounce off, but once I got the wheel caught and came to a dead stop very quickly. Wasn't very nice.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Turned up to the Rouse Hill bunch ride this morning with the trunk bag on the back... I can't help but feel some of the guys saw the bloke with discs, steel frame and Fluid helmet and were surprised at me charging up the hills :lol: it's the engine, carbon doesn't make the lungs work better!

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm

I loaded the bike up with a panniers this a.m. to do a big shop after work. Now it's bucketing down! Has been all day.

Oh well, at least it's not cold!

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 am

Baldy wrote:
jet-ski wrote:A box of..... ladybugs?

You have a strong cat there, holding up the bike for the photo :lol:

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:20 pm

I quite enjoy going to the shops with the kids in their trailer, then loading the groceries up around them, the looks I get as I put heavy items on my 2 year olds lap are halerious, but she loves "helping daddy"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 am

I did it once and that's enough for me!

This year I have been taking advantage of a strong start in Mauritius, the friendly windless weather and a general wellbeing - niggle free and not much in the way of any bugs. And while my riding will taper off as it gets a little colder and darker, to this point I am managing around 160-170km each week.

So, with it all seeming so easy, for the last week I have been trying to manage 200km. It seemed not such a big deal Last Monday. "An extra 20%! That's not such much to ask."

Well, I gotta say that the extra 6 or 7 km each day is REALLY tough!. By Friday evening I had just about given it up. A couple of times the motor control was not there and I have had to sit down and do sudoku on the side of the road a couple of times. The intended full ride home on Friday became half way and the train the rest.

After a relaxed Saturday I was feeling somewhat better. So I thought I could try and do my annual ride-my-age thing and that would prolly give me enough to get over the hill. Well, even that proved difficult as I had somewhere I had to be in the arvo so, as well as again running out of puff, I also ran out of time.

Nevertheless, while the age thing was a failure it did add 50km. This morning I rode the required distance to work (my log period starts Monday when I leave work) and squeezed past. 203km. Whew.

I still have to ride my age sometime this year on a day that feels right at the time. But I can categorically state here that I will NEVER even try for 200km in a week again. That is for other fools.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:26 pm

When my twins were younger I took them and associated toys, snacks & water in the trailer attached to an old steel mtb, so far about 50kg plus me. Eldest daughter was in a child seat on the back of the mtb, another 15. Then we rode the 6 km to the shops. 25 kg of shopping later we rode home. So all up I guess about 175kg. Thankfully the brakes worked and there weren't any big hills (unless you count gutters, which at the time were really big hills).

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Does this count?

(I've never had cars give me so much room!)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri May 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Since my last post I have achieved my ride-my-age for the year. Indeed I have managed it three times since February!

And I got past my 18,000th km a couple of weeks ago. Though perhaps I should save that one and wait for 20,000th.

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri May 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Biffidus wrote:Does this count?

(I've never had cars give me so much room!)
Nice work!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 17, 2012 1:29 pm

I've totally stopped keeping count on the Commuter Cup Racing, because I dominate them all 8)

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:22 am

I did a load of shopping today and only remembered we were out of beer on the way home. Not having beer is just not on, so I pulled in to pickup a slab.

Strapped it on no worries and didn't even break the eggs which were in the saddle bag.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 am

How does the bike cope with that? That's some SERIOUS weight going through the back tyre!

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 am

It was certainly noticeable, and I took it really easy over the bumps. The rear panniers were carrying about... actually, quite a bit when I add it up in my head. Maybe 10kg+ of groceries? The saddle bag had my regular work gear including the almost 2kg Kryptonite lock. Plus a dozen eggs.

I wouldn't want it to be my normal load, but I'm confident in it for short distances. My normal practice is to open the slab and pack the stubbies in the panniers, but they were already full in this case. The non-dished rear wheel, appropriately inflated tyres and sturdy rack all help. I don't currently have a load carrying bike that I can also hook my BOB to, but if I did, I would; it carries a slab super easily. It could probably carry two.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

::golf clap:: :!: I'd have been more worried about transverse slab slippage around corners, glad that ended well.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

It was surprisingly stable on the Tubus LOCC rack, but I did make sure that the net was wrapped around the front corners of the slab to limit lateral slippage.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:38 pm

What bike is that Pete? Is that belt driving a single speed or internal hub?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:00 pm

A few nights ago I seriously impressed myself!

When riding a uni any distance it is best and correct to almost float the feet on the pedals when on flat even unchallenging track. But is ain't natural and I am always working on it.

Anyway, I was riding home on the detour route at bateman late evening under headlight. There are a few lumpy bits where tree roots are pushing the surface up. Well, I was riding as light as I could at a decent clip when I hit a double bump section. I bounced up airborne from the seat and both feet lost contact. But I stayed upright and on it and even found the pedals again about three or four metres. I amazed myself. Though the archilles did get a hard whack from a pedal and, worst of all, the crown jewels got a serious working over.

Still, I stayed on, I continued the ride and in short time everything felt just fine. I think that was worth a brag.

Though I have no intention of repeating it. Ouch.