TdU Channel Nine coverage

Chuck

Re: TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:Crikey, how soon we all forget.

Whilst there is little doubt that a cycling based team (SBS) would have done better, it wasn't that long ago that we got NOTHING.

Now at least, thanks to SBS, and hopefully Nein, we will continue to get more.

Nein only just got the rights, so maybe next year will be better, given the stick they have received, and the potential 'help' from ASO.

I'm sometimes a glass half full guy.
My opinion is that we're well beyond just being happy that cycling is on TV at all and that we're entitled to have expectations. We're also entitled to express our displeasure when our expectations aren't met. It's not like Nine has saved us from a blackout re the TDU. SBS have done it every year since it's inception and were keen to continue their association with the TDU.

Let's not forget that SBS have been delivering cycling coverage in some form since the 80's and that their commitment to the sport continues to grow....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBS_Sport

There's no need to go cap in hand to Nine and give thanks for just putting it on, it would have been on TV anyway and we could have had the added bonus of Matt Keenan, a knowledgeable, passionate and articulate cycling fan.

I only hope that Voss and the Nine crew that worked on the TDU report back to Nine management about the genuine buzz there is about the race and that Nine try to make improvements next year and spend a little more promoting it. As someone has already said, they have a good product on their hands.
FPR Ragamuffin

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 am

The quality product is what saved the day for 9

Well the product and the hill finish. If it were not for that we could have been watching 2 live stages of leadout train practice. Plus the late night highlights+Andrew Voss......yep, 9 can thank Turtur and the athletes for making their mediocre effort look ok overall.

Its a start but they need to improve quite a bit next year to pass muster again.

Next year they had better promote it like they do for the other stuff,renovators,fat losers,fat cooks ......yeah...

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 am

Chuck wrote:My opinion is that we're well beyond just being happy that cycling is on TV at all and that we're entitled to have expectations. We're also entitled to express our displeasure when our expectations aren't met...
Express displeasures yes, but entitled? What does one get for free? Where's the Hare Krishna free lunch?

Show the money and one'll be "entitled" to ride in the team car, just like Gerry Ryan. :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am

Interesting analysis of the ratings compared with SBS from previous years here: http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2012/01/ ... -analysis/

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm

sogood wrote:
Chuck wrote:My opinion is that we're well beyond just being happy that cycling is on TV at all and that we're entitled to have expectations. We're also entitled to express our displeasure when our expectations aren't met...
Express displeasures yes, but entitled? What does one get for free? Where's the Hare Krishna free lunch?

Show the money and one'll be "entitled" to ride in the team car, just like Gerry Ryan. :mrgreen:
14600 odd posts and you never once expressed displeasure because you never felt entitled! Man you haven't lived! Let me be the first to invite you out of your shell, you are good enough :mrgreen:
FPR Ragamuffin

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Chuck wrote:14600 odd posts and you never once expressed displeasure because you never felt entitled! Man you haven't lived! Let me be the first to invite you out of your shell, you are good enough :mrgreen:
Getting personal again?

Staying on topic. There's a significant difference b/n expressing displeasure versus feeling entitled on something that has no basis for entitlement.

Philip's link provided good factual basis for this switch to Ch9. And now we have three free-to-air TV channels (Ch9, SBS1, SBS2) covering major road cycling events. That's a good thing.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 pm

sogood wrote: Getting personal again?
I wouldn't mind a dollar for everytime you've written that and yet you've also talked in the past about thin skinned people on forums?? I have gone off topic :oops: I'll move on :)
FPR Ragamuffin

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:27 pm

philip wrote:Interesting analysis of the ratings compared with SBS from previous years here: http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2012/01/ ... -analysis/
Poor ratings by commercial standards. Hope C9 realises it isn't much worth to them and give it back to SBS where they show programs for the love of them (remember Top Gear?). Think about it C9, you could have been showing movies and repeated US comedy shows over that weekend.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:59 pm

So for the weekend's live coverage:
2011 - SBS: 109,000 viewers
2012 - Ch 9: 291,000 viewers (2.7 times the 2011 SBS audience)

End of the day, a lot more people watched Ch9 coverage than SBS. I can't see how that is bad for the sport.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:26 am

Very interesting - you really have to look at all of the stats and I think Wade did a pretty good job of presenting the info without presenting an opinion.
Cycling is in my BNA

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 pm

CommuRider wrote: Hope C9 realises it isn't much worth to them and give it back to SBS
Not me, CR ... even though I'd actually pay for a dedicated cycling channel, I'd prefer to triple the number of Australians watching the event ... which Nein have just about achieved.

Greater good, all that.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Oxford wrote:
clackers wrote:
CommuRider wrote: Hope C9 realises it isn't much worth to them and give it back to SBS
Not me, CR ... even though I'd actually pay for a dedicated cycling channel, I'd prefer to triple the number of Australians watching the event ... which Nein have just about achieved.

Greater good, all that.
Not sure you can attribute the entire increase in numbers to Nein alone. As the blog says, what effect has Cadel's TdF win, the new GreenEdge team or Warniegate had on the numbers. Some of the increase is to do with many factors that will never be quantified.
Exactly Oxford plus the other thing is I bet many of the increase number of viewers wouldn't watch a SBS broadcast as it's not a station they would normal watch anyway it's just that 9 had a sporting event on and people just sat there watching it because it was on one of there viewing channels they consistently watch so I wouldn't place any faith in those numbers. If it went back to SBS you can bet the numbers would fall again because those that don't tune into SBS wouldn't again tune in even if they watched the event on 9 this time it's just a habit thing. Many folks leave there TV on even if not watching it so I dare say a great percentage of those that just leave there TV on not even in front of it wouldn't have it tuned into SBS it would be on one of the other stations.

Ricky

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:14 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Exactly Oxford plus the other thing is I bet many of the increase number of viewers wouldn't watch a SBS broadcast as it's not a station they would normal watch anyway it's just that 9 had a sporting event on and people just sat there watching it because it was on one of there viewing channels they consistently watch so I wouldn't place any faith in those numbers. If it went back to SBS you can bet the numbers would fall again because those that don't tune into SBS wouldn't again tune in even if they watched the event on 9 this time it's just a habit thing. Many folks leave there TV on even if not watching it so I dare say a great percentage of those that just leave there TV on not even in front of it wouldn't have it tuned into SBS it would be on one of the other stations.
But that's the whole point - the sport is getting exposed to more than double the TV audience than it would have on SBS. What's wrong with that?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Oxford wrote:}SkOrPn--7's point and I agree somewhat is that often people just leave the TV on for background noise and they are likely to leave it on a channel they are familiar with such as Nein, almost like a security blanket of sorts. I know we often just leave the TV on in our house for background noise. I imagine if there was no cycling on then the TV would still be tuned into anything else that Nein had on during the day for many people, even if they are not watching it.

not sure how ratings are collected nowadays but whatever the system there are going to be holes in it somewhere.
Well following that logic through, then relatively the same proportion of people who typically have their TV on SBS would leave SBS on as background noise as well.

IOW the numbers are a valid indicator of the relative viewing audience.

By continually referring to "nein" you are simply showing a bias and unwillingness to accept the evidence.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:43 pm

I am mystified by this discussion, because on my maths, SBS viewer numbers come out streets ahead, even before the Cadel/GreenEdge effect. Suggesting 9's numbers were up needs more spin than Warnie; you can only do it by cherry-picking the weekend live numbers from the CT report. Look what happens when you add in the SBS highlights from the weekend:

2011 - SBS: 109,000 viewers + 59,000 highlights = 168,000
2012 - Ch9: 291,000 viewers + 0 highlights = 291,000.
No longer double the SBS audience, let alone 2.7 times.

And if you total the coverage of the whole event - four week days plus the weekend:

2011 - SBS: 736,000 + weekend 168,000 = 904,000 viewers
2012 - Ch9: 310,000 + weekend 291,000 = 601,000 viewers

SBS FTW. By 30%. Pre Cadel's win. I don't doubt that 9 has greater reach and can do better if it so chooses in future, but I'm concerned to see an urban myth in the making (on my maths).

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 pm

I was looking forward to watching this after work but Win completely screwed it up with crap late night viewing.

This is why we need internet TV.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:24 pm

stinhambo wrote: This is why we need internet TV.
I have internet tv thanks to Sony's blu-ray disc player with built-in wireless (old Dick Smith dvd player croaked and Costco had this) SBS' internet tv channel has cycling highlights. Am loving the ABC iview but C7's net channel is pretty good - Dilbert episodes from series 1&2.....and GUMBY!

Alex, C9 has been called Nein for yonks now. I think I came across it first during the height of aus.tv's popularity in the 90s.

Viewer: Can we have RWC live coverage from the start?
German accent C9: Nein
Viewer: Can we have live TdU coverage from the start?
C9: Nein
Viewer: Can you be a broadcaster that listen to its viewers?
C9: Nein, nein, nein!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:07 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Many folks leave there TV on even if not watching it...
Ricky
Damn right. ABC Jazz on the radio channel FTW!!! 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:08 pm

CommuRider wrote:Viewer: Can you be a broadcaster that listen to its viewers?
C9: What? I'm sorry, did you speak?
Fixed that for yer. :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:10 pm

grasshopper wrote:I am mystified by this discussion, because on my maths, SBS viewer numbers come out streets ahead, even before the Cadel/GreenEdge effect. Suggesting 9's numbers were up needs more spin than Warnie; you can only do it by cherry-picking the weekend live numbers from the CT report. Look what happens when you add in the SBS highlights from the weekend:

2011 - SBS: 109,000 viewers + 59,000 highlights = 168,000

And if you total the coverage of the whole event - four week days plus the weekend:

SBS FTW. By 30%. Pre Cadel's win. I don't doubt that 9 has greater reach and can do better if it so chooses in future, but I'm concerned to see an urban myth in the making (on my maths).
I don't doubt your maths but can one be sure there was no double counting of people watching a repeat?

I suppose what we can't know is how many unique individuals saw some coverage but ratings for the live stages gives a pretty good idea of he difference I think.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:36 pm

grasshopper wrote:2011 - SBS: 109,000 viewers + 59,000 highlights = 168,000

In statistics, skewing the data and taking boundary conditions is a great way to justify one's case.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Regarding the above few posts, can somebody tell us what a highlight is?
London Boy 29/12/2011

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:29 am

Mulger bill wrote:Regarding the above few posts, can somebody tell us what a highlight is?
Cycling Central on SBS?

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Most topics on this forum struggle to make it past the first page, would love to see 17 pages of discussion on actual racing.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:20 pm

RICHARDH wrote:Most topics on this forum struggle to make it past the first page, would love to see 17 pages of discussion on actual racing.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 31&t=41251 :mrgreen: