Waiting for Club Jersey

gururug

Waiting for Club Jersey

Postby gururug » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Joined first club last year and got racing license.

Waited for several months to receive a club jersey and it was the wrong size. I didn't race much because I felt a bit weird without the club kit so it has been a bit of a waste of $300.

The guy who handles ordering kit said they would order the other size but it would be a while. Now he won't answer my emails.

Is it normal to wait months and months for club clothing?

ozdavo

Re: Waiting for Club Jersey

Postby ozdavo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

What club? Not a racer (yet :wink: )but if I do join a club, sounds like that's one club I'd want to avoid!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 pm

My club only orders clothing once a year... so if you join mid year you will probably have to borrow off someone. Also we have to race in the latest years clothing... bit of a pain, but as the sponsors change every year I suppose it is fair enough...means we end up with lots of training only gear.
Just race in a plain top... don't let little things like this put you off racing.

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My club only orders clothing once a year... so if you join mid year you will probably have to borrow off someone.
Wow.......so maybe I was expecting too much eh..... I guess most clubs are small operations and a single bulk order is most economical for them. Kinda sucks for new members though.

I wish they had been more up front about the delays, would have saved me a lot of emailing.

Maybe they should have velcro sponsor patches LOL!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 am

Obviously depends on the club... my club gives us things at 75% discount (sponsors make up the rest). But they only order once a year in the off season... extremely nice Italian made gear though, hence this year I ordered a pile ( winter thermal full lengths,3/4 length,two pairs of summer length knicks, short sleeve,long sleeve jerseys) ...a lot of the winter only stuff I don't need to replace every year as we don't usually race in it... only me in cyclocross and as we are covered in mud sponsors don't notice :lol: .
But bear in mind we are a smallish club 0f 35-40 compared to some of the bigger Aussie clubs who would usually have at least tops in stock most of the time.
Like I say though...don't let that stop you racing!.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:31 pm

I think My club will be doing an online ordering system with champion systems, well thats what i hear. I wouldnt waste your time not racing because of a club kit, you can race without them and alot of people do this. . .
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Our club has nearly 300 members. Usually they put in an order, and lots of people miss out. This gives them an accurate measure of what to get for a second round plus an estimate for new members. Now even a 300 member order for custom kit must be tightly controlled. From my memory and I could be wrong, the club gets like $20 from your licence. So all the kitty if you like comes from the sponsors. And they are not a Pro-tour club right. It is mostly a bunch of good Samaritans giving up there time for the benefit of others. Another thing to bear in mind is that sponsors change and new kit is required about every two or three years. And you can't clear the old stuff once new kit is out.
Third, you can race in non club kit, but not everywhere. The minimum standard at higher level races is a club jersey and sometimes it is enforced.
Finally, don't email the poor club sec, give the guy a call. Be a human being. If you call him I am sure he will find a way to get something for you, but I suspect at the moment you are an unknown. Done any club rides?

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 am

ft_critical wrote:Our club has nearly 300 members. Usually they put in an order, and lots of people miss out. This gives them an accurate measure of what to get for a second round plus an estimate for new members. Now even a 300 member order for custom kit must be tightly controlled. From my memory and I could be wrong, the club gets like $20 from your licence. So all the kitty if you like comes from the sponsors. And they are not a Pro-tour club right. It is mostly a bunch of good Samaritans giving up there time for the benefit of others. Another thing to bear in mind is that sponsors change and new kit is required about every two or three years. And you can't clear the old stuff once new kit is out.
Third, you can race in non club kit, but not everywhere. The minimum standard at higher level races is a club jersey and sometimes it is enforced.
Good Info.
ft_critical wrote:Finally, don't email the poor club sec, give the guy a call. Be a human being. If you call him I am sure he will find a way to get something for you.
Wish I had done this months ago. Up until now everyone has been telling me to email the guy who handles ordering kit. I didn't realise ringing the secretary was the way to get things done.
ft_critical wrote:but I suspect at the moment you are an unknown. Done any club rides?
Point is? If I train with the team I get preferential treatment?

I haven't named the club. I'm not looking to blame anyone. Just wanted to know if I could get a jersey and when.

Also, to let other people who are getting into or thinking of joining a club what they can expect. It seems that if I was a Medium or Large, there would have been one in stock. But because I am small/extra small this has created some sort of problem. I consulted the relevant sizing chart, however, the measurements did not pan out right. I've followed the recommended procedures. The club has had my cash for 9 months, not sure what to do.

Thanks!