Wildlife watch!

Baalzamon

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:22 pm

chuckchunder wrote:yeah saw lots of 'roos on the Audax Park Life ride on Saturday evening - between Jarrahdale and Pickering Brook mostly.

A couple scared the baby jeebus out of me on the high speed Walnut Rd descent just before Aldersyde, bouncing across the road at close quarters. I gather another rider collected one, rider and 'roo OK, but bike beyond riding........
This is one reason why I didn't do Park Life. Spotted a few roos along Anketell Rd sat mornings on my way to do hill climbing (AT) Jarrahdale.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Sharing Reserve Rd Gidgegannup with a six foot boomer while doing 60+kmh for the SuperHilly time trial. Adrenalin = PB!
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm

fixed wrote:Sharing Reserve Rd Gidgegannup with a six foot boomer while doing 60+kmh for the SuperHilly time trial. Adrenalin = PB!
Nearly hit one coming down the Zig Zag two weeks ago at 50 plus was a bit of a shock :shock: :shock: Now If I had have been going up the Zig Zag it would not have been an issue :D :D :D

MM

zues

Postby zues » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Marty Moose wrote
Nearly hit one coming down the Zig Zag two weeks ago at 50 plus was a bit of a shock :shock: :shock: Now If I had have been going up the Zig Zag it would not have been an issue :D :D :D
Yeah take it easy there a resident family of roos at the Zig Zag and the occassional Goose :!:

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Yeh will be taking it much easier next time was just rolling in a group missed the front rider by a couple of 100mm was a real shock. First time I've seen roos there, never seen any geese though the odd blue tongue that's about it.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:50 pm

In the dark I keep my 200L light on 100L setting and point it down a bit plus limit speed on descents. I was spooked by a large kangaroo right next to me in the bush at the start of the descent to Mundaring Weir (towards Mundaring) on Saturday night (about 9:20PM) I'll adjust my attitude/ riding accordingly.

For safety purposes, Audax WA will also enforce group riding at all times on night rides in Roo frequented areas.

northboy

Postby northboy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 pm

just before christmas I was at the front of a group goin 42km/hr plus on old Yanchep road only to have a rabbit flash accross the road and miss my front wheel by bearly a couple of inches. Could have been very messy as would have brought up to 20 blokes down.

zues

Postby zues » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Before Xmas I hit a Quenda while riding down crystal brook road at about 100km/hr :shock: :shock: :shock: Luckily the Quenda bounced off. :D

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 am

Had to look that up :) :) A small Quokka type animal lucky you didn't come off Crystal Brook is a serious down hill, I've only ever ridden up it YUCK :D :D

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 pm

I saw 150cm kangoroo at kingsburry drive near to serpentine dam, standing on the road watching me riding....looked like it was gonna cross but returned into the bush....:)
and before it I saw a group of kangoroos at nettleton rd....
similar to this one :
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Do dried dead blowies qualify as wildlife? The fishermen seem to be dropping a few on the path under Canning Bridge lately.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:42 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Do dried dead blowies qualify as wildlife? The fishermen seem to be dropping a few on the path under Canning Bridge lately.
There are a couple on the PSP in front of the Old Swan Brewery too. Been there for a few weeks, they're now flat enough to ride over at speed :D

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:49 pm

I run over a very flat a dried snake of somekind up near south street a few weeks ago. Looked like it had been a speed hump for quite sometime strectched out accross the path... :lol:
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:01 am

Got to watch a Marsh Harrier seeing off a Little Eagle from its territory, an aerial battle right above the bikepath. A km later got to watch a scooter blast past me on the path, 3 kids on the one motorbike and not a helmet in sight. Got to be a local record for people on the one bike. Got home to see the neighbour arrive home, he'd been out shopping with his girlfriend at Bunnings, came home with the car loaded up with shopping, garden chairs taking up all the space, no girlfriend in sight; he pulled, opened the boot and out popped the girlfriend.

Definitely getting feral out there.

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am

Dobo wrote:I run over a very flat a dried snake of somekind up near south street a few weeks ago. Looked like it had been a speed hump for quite sometime strectched out accross the path... :lol:
I saw one too at kelvin road, the color was a brownish to gold, was it poisonous? I passed the running one at Mill Road East few weeks ago, about 3 metres in front of me....crossing the road, luckily it can pass the road safely...
because last time I saw a dead kangoroo at around that point too....must be hit by a car last night...
Visit My website

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:23 pm

rider_1 wrote:
Dobo wrote:I run over a very flat a dried snake of somekind up near south street a few weeks ago. Looked like it had been a speed hump for quite sometime strectched out accross the path... :lol:
I saw one too at kelvin road, the color was a brownish to gold, was it poisonous? I passed the running one at Mill Road East few weeks ago, about 3 metres in front of me....crossing the road, luckily it can pass the road safely...
because last time I saw a dead kangoroo at around that point too....must be hit by a car last night...
If anyone comes across fresh road kill please check the animal unless its obviously splattered. I dragged this joey from its mum's pouch after stopping to remove her from the road after someone else had collected her. Not sure how long it had been there but RM had set in on mum. Another time I'm glad I wasn't on a bike.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Pushy wrote:
rider_1 wrote:
If anyone comes across fresh road kill please check the animal unless its obviously splattered. I dragged this joey from its mum's pouch after stopping to remove her from the road after someone else had collected her. Not sure how long it had been there but RM had set in on mum. Another time I'm glad I wasn't on a bike.
Where can I call for joey, if I've found one ? RSPCA ? What number ?
@pushy : I tried sending you pm, but I can't...why ?
Visit My website

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Not sure why you cant PM me.
Injured wildlife can be taken to Murdoch(Uni) Pet Emergency 24/7 or ring DEC for a carer close to you. If in doubt about handling an injured animal call your local council ranger or DEC or RSPCA. Note that Murdoch will infact put down (can't spell euthanaise) wildlife that is not native to WA. There will be no charge to you though they may want contact details in case they or the eventual carers need details of where the animal was found or help releasing at that site. I believe all vets have a charter to treat injured wildlife or humanely dispose of any wildlife delivered to their door.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Pushy wrote:Not sure why you cant PM me.
Injured wildlife can be taken to Murdoch(Uni) Pet Emergency 24/7 or ring DEC for a carer close to you. If in doubt about handling an injured animal call your local council ranger or DEC or RSPCA. Note that Murdoch will infact put down (can't spell euthanaise) wildlife that is not native to WA. There will be no charge to you though they may want contact details in case they or the eventual carers need details of where the animal was found or help releasing at that site. I believe all vets have a charter to treat injured wildlife or humanely dispose of any wildlife delivered to their door.
Can you PM me the number, in case I've found one again next time, I saw them everytime I rode...canning dam road, kelvin road, mill road east
Visit My website

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Naww, bless your heart pushy :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Saw a rat like animal run across the path on Severin walk in Belmont the other night, it dived into the drain and swam very well underwater. Would like to think it was a native water rat, but did some reading and it seems the regular rats are really good swimmers too. Helps for navigating sewers.

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 am

I saw coctatoo this noon, i think it's death already in the middle.....may be newly hit by a car....because in the first lap, i didn't see it...
Visit My website

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Dolphin at Applecross
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 pm

I saw a large dugite must have been more than a metre long cros the path in front of me down near Anketell road on my comute home the other day. I missed it's tail end by an inch or two. I'm greatful that it was the tail end though and not the head :shock:
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Dobo wrote:I saw a large dugite must have been more than a metre long cros the path in front of me down near Anketell road on my comute home the other day. I missed it's tail end by an inch or two. I'm greatful that it was the tail end though and not the head :shock:
I saw exactly the same at Mills Road East, few months ago...poisonous ....beware..
Visit My website