The "Excuses" Thread

Naels

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Naels » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 am

I haven't been riding to work this week due to the 40+ heat we've been having... And my Dad told me I shouldn't do it either! That was all the encouragement for sleep-ins I needed!

ColinOldnCranky

Re: The "Excuses" Thread

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Perth:

Nine days, nine numbers...

Tuesday 38.2, Wednesday 40.6, Thursday 41, Friday 40, Saturday 42, Sunday 40, Monday 38, Tuesday 38, Wednesday 38

And so far the actual maximums have been exceeding the forecast.

Excuse enough?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Max

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Max » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm

:shock:

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

twizzle

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:36 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

Nine days, nine numbers...

Tuesday 38.2, Wednesday 40.6, Thursday 41, Friday 40, Saturday 42, Sunday 40, Monday 38, Tuesday 38, Wednesday 38

And so far the actual maximums have been exceeding the forecast.

Excuse enough?
Nope - I've raced a crit at 37C.

Mind you, my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth when I swallowed after the finish. I think I won that night, but I deserved it : at one point I had to follow a guy who was sweating so much I was being sprayed when following behind him. Not pleasant.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:54 am

Dinner wasn't ready in time :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:22 am

Friday 40
Swmbo put her foot down. Told me I coldn't ride my bike to work after spin class on Friday as it was going to be too hot and I might get cramp and I have been to spin class. So had pretty good excuses anyway.

Took a spoonful of cement and rode anyway. Friday wasn't that bad. Did get a few cramps that night from not being able to get enough water in. Oh well.

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:28 am

Today is the first day back at school for Junior Dropbear. We had to bring all his text and exercise books into school and meet this year's teacher.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:46 am

First day back to school for Jr too. I have been trying to encourage him to ride his bike to school but he's worried somebody will steal it at the bike racks...and his nice Disney character helmet. I am thinking of getting a lock for him but it might be too fiddly for a primary school kid. Any suggestions on a good lock that is child-friendly? Should I get a combo lock? or just HTFU? I have told him if somebody steals his bike I will get him a new one, an upgrade from his old one...but he likes his bike.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 am

Sad that he has to feel this way. Just get him a cheap wire combo lock and set the code to something easy. This will give him piece of mind.

I remember one day I walked home from school and forgot I had ridden that morning. I only noticed when I got home and my bike was not in the garage. :oops: Back to school and it was still there.

I have loads of excuses not to ride today.

I'm still a bit sore after a fall last week.
I'm sunburnt.
I was raining.
It's getting darker in the morns.
My bike was too clean to get dirty.

BUT I still rode and enjoyed it. :mrgreen:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 am

Some of the kids in the area are brats. I think we'll go to the LBS for another shopping trip and try and try their locks. I was thinking of getting his bike a new saddle but the scuffier it looks the more of a deterrent it will be to thieves.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Got a bee sting on the ball of my foot on Saturday (happened at the beach, while carrying my thongs in my hand like a super-genius!) ... still a bit too swollen and hurty to ride. Waah!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm working away in Adelaide and have run out of tyres!

Worn one through and blew out the spare :roll:

Anyway I am working 14hr days so I can get home asap.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:20 am

at home with my sick daughter.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:38 pm

bosvit wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:My excuse is that Ive already done 5 commute this week and that I had to start earlier today than usual but didn't get up any earlier. Feel a bit slack to be honest. Especially after my bad(ish) results yesterday at the company health fair (poor resting heart rate, bmi in the obese category and 112 cm waist)
If you keep commuting 5 times a week you won't have to worry about the company health fair next year. You will be a star performer :D

I know that this isn’t an Excuse for not commuting however I took my RHR this morning and i’ve moved from having a poor resting hear rate to good bordering on excellent :D BMI is dropping as well albeit slowly and lost about 5cm off my waist :D < the grin isn’t big enough
2012 Oppy A4

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:19 am

Monday: 0km. Took the car. Brought a bunch of clean clothes for riding on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Found out at the office that I had to visit a client.
Tuesday: 0km - Continued working at client's place.
Wednesday: 0km - More work at client's place, plus I had to go check up on the house that's at lock-up stage - almost complete - and meet with concreter.
Thursday: 0km - Worked from the office but another planned meet-up at the house with the site supervisor. Meeting didn't eventuate as we couldn't get into the house - concreter doing the driveway.
Friday: 0km - Re-scheduled meeting with the site supervisor this arvo.

Yes, not happy Jan! Hoping the 100km ride planned for Sunday will make up for it.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm

No riding Thursday, Friday and probably Saturday.

My excuse Thursday - knackered. Friday feeling heaps better but wanting to rest up more. Saturday, well, it’s going to be a physically tough day and a long one as well. The OT is good but it’s getting old :(
2012 Oppy A4

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Totally knackered today and my legs were spent after my “big” ride yesterday.

Really, my legs are so very tired, and I’m feeling run down. I think that I really need to examine my diet.

But maybe I’m just making excuses :cry:
2012 Oppy A4

Max

Postby Max » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:21 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:But maybe I’m just making excuses :cry:
That's what this thread is for!! :D :D :D :D

Take a breather. It will make you feel better and you'll enjoy the riding more when you get back into it.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 am

Hope everyone had a good VDay yesterday. Have joined the SES so brought the car in for after. Still, the weather didn't look too bad today as I can see patches of blue and I really wish I was on my bike after waiting for 15 mins on the stretch of Parra Rd between Haberfield and Taverners Hill.

ave a go

Postby ave a go » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 am

Train in this morning as the missus is picking me up this arvo to go with her to the OB. Every 2 weeks now, wont be long and number 2 will be with us :D

Again, took the opportunity to bring a week + worth of work gear in with me all at once.

Back into it tomorrow and Friday though - no excuses!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Riding: 2009 Giant CRX Four

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:40 am

A facet joint in my neck that I crunckled a few years ago has decided to dredge up past unhappiness overnight :x Not feeling game to push my luck ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Lizzy wrote:A facet joint in my neck that I crunckled a few years ago has decided to dredge up past unhappiness overnight :x Not feeling game to push my luck ...
Don't blame you Lizzie, been there. Heal quick.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Max

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Max » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Lizzy wrote:A facet joint in my neck that I crunckled a few years ago has decided to dredge up past unhappiness overnight :x Not feeling game to push my luck ...
:( I hope you feel better soon!

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Aw, thanks kids :) After several days of wheat pillow obsession I have my range of motion back, and can look over my right shoulder again, yay! As of this morning it was still giving me a neuralgic little errrk when I least expected it but I reckon I'll be back in the game on Monday, fingers crossed ...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:53 pm

made the decision not to ride (with nudging from the wife) due to forecast heavy rain. looking out the window now am happy with the decision.