Beware this dangerous driver

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:27 pm

As much as it pains me to do this sort of thing, I am posting this thread as a warning for Brisbane Cyclists.
This chick HATES cyclists and apparently owns the road! Came within 30cm of clipping myself and my buddy this morning, even riding single file with a completely empty lane beside her she still swerved at us.
If you see her out there exercise extreme caution.
If you know this woman let her know that she is an idiot and that none of her stupid reasons for her actions are a valid excuse for her actions.

When we caught her at the lights and asked her to explain her actions she explained the following points to us:

* we were in HER lane
* the lane is narrow
* it is dangerous for us to be there
* there is a bike lane that we could have been using instead
Apparently any of these reasons are acceptable reasons for why she is within her rights to veer towards us.

moreegolfer

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby moreegolfer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:35 pm

I hope you made a complaint to police. While they may not do as much as you think that is the right course of action against a dangerous driver, whether on a bike or in another vehicle.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Where abouts were you riding?

Thanks for the warning as well.
2012 Oppy A4

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Where is that? Indro?
Report her to the police, though why do I think that is a waste of time.
It's idiots like this that get the gaul to take it one step further, from idiots like Magda, Shane-o; and even Spencer Howson on ABC radio keeps bringing up the rego thang.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Grey Street bridge inbound from Southbank.
So there is a "bike path" beside the road but AFAIK we are not compelled to use it.
We were doing about 30km/h, the road was quiet and the right hand lane was empty.

The car continued through toward Kelvin Grove Road before we lost sight of her so I am assuming she was heading to the Northern Suburbs.

GraemeK

Postby GraemeK » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your close call.
We desperately need a television add campaign to try and change drivers attitudes and make them understand that cyclists are valid road users and have a perfect right to use the lane.
I have had similar incidents myself and when I talked to the car driver I was told they believed cyclists had no legal right to be blocking the road and worse that we were obliged to give way to them. I found this extremely scary since I assumed most motorists realised cyclists were valid road users but just disliked the fact. I have since talked to many of my friends who drive and found this situation is not uncommon and that in most motorists minds there is a grey area which fails to acknowledge a cyclist as another vehicle or indeed even see them as a sort of pedestrian - we are non- entities.
I was glad to see the " 1 meter matters " champaign but think it failed to stress that cyclists are valid road users.

Graeme

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Sadly my own wife (non cyclist) thought I had to use a bikepath if it was available.
When I told her that this was not the case she asked "well how would a motorist know that?".
I guess it is a somewhat fair question as when she got her license there was basically no such thing as bikepath's.
I dont hang much faith on the metre matters campaign. It is too wishy washy and the feedback I have seen on it from the US 3 foot rule is that it has not really had any impact.
I believe that a rule where the driver is always in the wrong until they can prove otherwise may work better.
Sadly it seems that seatbelts, drink driving and speeding are far more important at all levels of Government.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Just noticed the towball attatchment on her Mitsubitchi :roll:

Probably had children in the car as well :roll: :roll:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

stats

Postby stats » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:23 pm

sumgy wrote: When we caught her at the lights and asked her to explain her actions she explained the following points to us:

Good thing you caught up to her , hope you explained to her what you thought of her actions :)

Btw I was impressed at how many cyclists were out this morning around the city, looked to be more bikes than cars heading up and down Highgate hill 8)
Last edited by stats on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:24 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Just noticed the towball attatchment on her Mitsubitchi :roll:

Probably had children in the car as well :roll: :roll:
Not that I saw.
I would have been less inclined to confront her with kids in the car.
It would be quite scary for them and it is not their fault that their mother is an idiot.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:31 pm

This drives straight to the heart of the aggression against cyclists issue. Drivers do not know the road rules in relation to cyclists.
As a cyclist, I didn't even know the rules until I downloaded the manual and read them.

The govt is responsible for this because they allow people to get licenses, without having to know cyclist's rights.
The solution is pretty obvious, well at least to me.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

PawPaw wrote:This drives straight to the heart of the aggression against cyclists issue. Drivers do not know the road rules in relation to cyclists.
As a cyclist, I didn't even know the rules until I downloaded the manual and read them.

The govt is responsible for this because they allow people to get licenses, without having to know cyclist's rights.
The solution is pretty obvious, well at least to me.
And even then you only think you know the rules.
Much of the rules are open for interpretation and your interpretation may not be the same as what another person may read.

But to be honest there is no excuse (whether the cyclist is doing something wrong or not) to take matters into your own hands and endanger them purposely.

franklin

Postby franklin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 pm

sorry to hear about this. :(

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:04 pm

sumgy wrote:Image

* we were in HER lane
* the lane is narrow
Apparently any of these reasons are acceptable reasons for why she is within her rights to veer towards us.
None of those reasons justifies her actions.

On the other hand, when bike lanes exist, .................................................................................... :?

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:07 pm

master6 wrote:
sumgy wrote:Image

* we were in HER lane
* the lane is narrow
None of those reasons justifies her actions.

On the other hand, when bike lanes exist, .................................................................................... :?
It is actually a shared footpath so therefore no different to any other footpath that is NOT specified as no bikes.
If we were to go by that thinking we would never be able to ride on a road where there is a footpath.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Oxford wrote:I know the area where sumgy is referring to and it is only suitable for casual riding, certainly not bunch riding or fast riding. trust me, sumgy and I do not see eye to eye on much, but in this case he was doing nothing wrong IMO riding where he was.
Ok, understand :D

hosko

Postby hosko » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm

You should carry some watch for cyclist stickers for people like this :) plonk one on the back when at the lights. She would have loved it when she got home!!
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:06 pm

hosko wrote:You should carry some watch for cyclist stickers for people like this :) plonk one on the back when at the lights. She would have loved it when she got home!!

An Anti-Police sticker would be better :wink:
2012 Oppy A4

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:09 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
hosko wrote:You should carry some watch for cyclist stickers for people like this :) plonk one on the back when at the lights. She would have loved it when she got home!!

An Anti-Police sticker would be better :wink:
huh!!

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:54 pm

It is my understanding that on a shared path you are limited to 15kph. an can anyone confirm this? (feel free to shoot me down in flames here :D )

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Does anyone know what the tow bar mount is? I have seen similar mounts used for bike racks.

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:11 pm

briztoon wrote:Does anyone know what the tow bar mount is? I have seen similar mounts used for bike racks.
Its a load leveler for towing a large trailer such as a big caravan/float

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Not fun. Glad you made it.

Did she have a vacuous English accent?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 am

PB12IN wrote:
briztoon wrote:Does anyone know what the tow bar mount is? I have seen similar mounts used for bike racks.
Nup, it's a bike rack mount, exactly the same as the one we have.
master6 wrote:On the other hand, when bike lanes exist, .................................................................................... :?
Bike lanes are often inappropriate at best unsafe at worst. A cyclist is a legitimate road user. The mis-understanding of this issue alone is reason enough to justify mandatory periodic retesting for drivers' licences. Dog only knows how many other misconceptions drivers are labouring under

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:19 am

PB12IN wrote:
No, I don't think it is a load-leveler.
I think it is the base plate for a bike carrier, the sort which can be folded down to allow the rear door of car to open.

OOPS - looks like I have been narrowly beaten in time to point this out by RobertFrith in the previous post :oops: