Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Baalzamon

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Well then I'll just revert back to my Ayups on the bar with Helmet light on at appropriate times which are brighter still.....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Ayups are brighter than the E3 Triple??

E3 Pro is 370 lumens. I didn't think the Ayups were much brighter. The E3 Triple is something like 800 lumens.

I use the E3 Pro and get drivers flashing their lights at me if I don't have it aimed right and the beam is a bit too high. This tells me they are being dazzled by it..... not a good thing. Also tells me this light is plenty bright enough to be seen pretty clearly.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:43 pm

I hadn't looked at the specs until just now. I have the older supernova E3 triple which isn't 800 lumens on my main commuter. My Ayup's are capable of 400 lumen per light. Since there are 2 of them pushing out 400 lumen's each they appear brighter than the E3 triple. They certainly wash out the road surface compared to the E3 triple tho.
I have the new E3 triple on my Thorn which doesn't see commuting duties much except when it's wet and light sources are washed out a fair bit.
I haven't decided on lights for my Bacchetta yet as I'm still sounding it out fit wise. Until I get it fitted right I'm not looking at lights for it, but I would most likely get the E3 pro.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:22 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:Zee Germans (bike24) can be a little pedestrian with their post it seems.
Order arrived at the office this morning. Now if the wider bottom bracket I ordered from c r c arrives I'll have a few tasks to keep me occupied during my Xmas break - install the bb, fit the lights and change the sprocket.

It will be interesting to see how good the E3 lights are - the benchmark they'll be rated against are my Ayups, which are dazzlingly good. But I really only got them as part of my rationalisation of devices, batteries and charging systems - since I have a dynamo hub to charge my batteries I might as well have a dynamo-powered lightset as well so I can run with the lights on permanently.
And just how good are they?
How does the E3 compare to your Ayap?
Pics or it hasnt happened :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 pm

rifraf wrote:And just how good are they?
How does the E3 compare to your Ayap?
Pics or it hasnt happened :wink:
Dunno, haven't done the deed - sunrise is still at 5:17 so no need for lights yet. But a wet weekend is forecast, so if I'm confined indoors I might get them fitted - just so I can post a picture for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ayups are offering an upgrade to their lights for only $60. The upgraded lights will be twice as bright as my old set so the E3 Pro will be up against stiff competition. You can get an idea what they are like here. And you can see here that the Supernova E3 seems to compare quite favorably (I have the Terraflux lens), but is only 305 lumen compared to more than 400 lumen for the Ayups. Whatever, it will be plenty bright enough to have cars dipping their lights.

Ultimately, I bought a dynamo hub to keep my iPhone charged, and the lights are just bonus really.

But what I have done over Xmas is to change the bottom bracket and the Rohloff sprocket. When I assembled the bike I noticed that the chain line was slightly out using the 118mm bb recommended by the shop where I bought the crankset. And being a fussy bugger, when I saw that c r c had a 122mm bb for $15 with free shipping I ordered one and it arrived the week before Xmas, so that is now fitted and the chain line is pretty well perfect.

I have also replaced the original 16t sprocket with a 17t. This gets me a gear further away from the noisy 7th gear, and somehow seems a little easier to spin - purely psychological I guess since there is no real reason why it should be easier, but I'm very happy with it now and think it will be perfect once the bike is loaded. So at my normal flat road pace I'm using 11th gear which has the ideal 1:1 ratio and it's even comfortable to start in 11th gear for a quick getaway at traffic lights.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 pm

RonK wrote:
Ultimately, I bought a dynamo hub to keep my iPhone charged, and the lights are just bonus really.
What swung your decision with regards to brand - (Biologic ReeCharge Power Pack)
I've a E-Werk on my wishlist but its not yet high on the priority list :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:46 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
What swung your decision with regards to brand - (Biologic ReeCharge Power Pack)
Well as I have mentioned, I got the dynamo hub for the express purpose of keeping my iPhone charged. To do this successfully you need to charge via a battery or the iPhone will stop charging each time the speed/output voltage drops.

The e-Werk is not a battery and the auxilliary battery just adds clutter to the bike. And I do not need the multiple volage outputs of the eWerk as I only want to charge my iPhone.

So, the Reecharge has a built in battery that is simply and elegantly attached to the bike and I expect it to fulfil my intended application very nicely.

However, if it had been available at the time I would have also considered Pedalpower system which has even more battery capacity. For my purposes I consider both these systems superior to the e-Werk.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:58 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
Well as I have mentioned, I got the dynamo hub for the express purpose of keeping my iPhone charged. To do this successfully you need to charge via a battery or the iPhone will stop charging each time the speed/output voltage drops.
An E-Werk with an iPhone will not charge unless you plug it in when you are doing over 15kph fussy phones... My Samsung Galaxy S2 will start charging as soon as it detects the voltage and doesn't matter if I stop and start a lot.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:32 pm

Just received my PowerMonkey Extreme today. My solution to such charging problems (and issues with connectors). Now the Ewerk will charge the PowerMonkey to give constant charge rate to various devices :D

Bonus that I can top it up on tour with the solar panel.
Last edited by il padrone on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm

il padrone wrote:Just received my PowerMonkey Extreme today. My solution to such charging problems (and issues with connectors). Now the Ewerk will charge the PowerMonkey to give constant charge rate to various devices :D
now I must have that PowerMonkey.......
Thanks il padrone

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 pm

il padrone wrote:Just received my PowerMonkey Extreme today. My solution to such charging problems (and issues with connectors). Now the Ewerk will charge the PowerMonkey to give constant charge rate to various devices :D

I think I read Max say that the Extreme had a beefier battery than the version the PowerMonkey
that comes marketed as the Garmin external battery package.
Where did you source yours IP? :)
Did it take long to reach you?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:37 pm

From a crowd called Techbuy. Arrived in five days :D
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Since the dynamo hub's output is AC, you need an e-Werk to charge the PowerMonkey Extreme, which makes it rather expensive if you don't already have one.

The Powermonkey Extreme has the advantage of a large 9000mAh battery capacity, but if an additional device is needed to charge it from a dynamo hub then it's not quite so practical.

For anyone who needs extra battery capacity, but doesn't already have an e-Werk, then the PedalPower Super-I-Cable with V4i set with a total of 7800 mAh battery capacity may be a better solution.

On the other hand, perhaps with 9000 mAh of battery capacity and both mains and solar recharging capability you don't need a dynamo hub at all.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:48 pm

RonK wrote:

But if I understand correctly, you need an e-Werk to charge the PowerMonkey Extreme, which makes it rather expensive if you don't already have one. Or do you know if the Powermonkey can be connected directly to the dynamohub? Since the input is 5V 2.5w I would have though this is possible.

The Powermonkey Extreme has the advantage of a large battery capacity, but if an additional device is needed to charge it from a dynamohub then it's not quite so practical. If nobody knows the answer, it may be worth contacting Powertraveller to find out.

For anyone who needs the extra battery capacity, but doesn't already have an e-Werk, then the PedalPower Super-I-Cable with V4 setsystem may be a better solution.
Hi Ron,
I believe you are correct - you need the E-werk.
Both IP and Baalzamon already have the E-Werk.
It can also be charged via the solar panel, mentioned by IP, or via computer (USB) or wall socket if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Haven't opened it yet, but if it can be charged with USB you should be able to charge it with a DC dynohub with a suitable connector. Probably not the Schmidt though (AC).

The Ewerk is basically a rectifier to convert AC to different outputs of DC.
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 pm

rifraf wrote:Hi Ron,
I believe you are correct.
It can also be charged via the solar panel, mentioned by IP, or via computer (USB) or wall socket if I'm not mistaken.
yeah, I checked and edited my last post - dynohub outputs are AC and the Powermonkey's input is DC, so you need an e-Werk or some other converter and end up with two devices and wiring cluttering the bike frame.

Too fussy for me - what I like about the Reecharge and the Super-I-Cable is the simplicity of the built-in battery. I might be tempted to upgrade to the Super-I-Cable for the extra capacity (2200 vs 1600 mAh), but I'll see how the Reecharge goes first.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:09 pm

RonK wrote: so you need an e-Werk or some other converter and end up with two devices and wiring cluttering the bike frame.
I already have the Ewerk. It is poorly mounted at present and will be relocated to on top of the down tube, at the head tube. Wiring is there anyway. Cable to the PowerMonkey will be a short run from the head tube to my handlebar bag, where the PowerMonkey will live.

No big issue or clutter imho.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:16 pm

rifraf wrote: It can also be charged via the solar panel, mentioned by IP, or via computer (USB) or wall socket if I'm not mistaken.
I have the Garmin Battery Extender which is a repackaged Power Monkey and the solar charger is really slow, probably pretty much ineffective given the time required to recharge the batteries. I also have the PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable which is a sweet setup with the dynamo.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:20 pm

il padrone wrote:
RonK wrote: so you need an e-Werk or some other converter and end up with two devices and wiring cluttering the bike frame.
I already have the Ewerk. It is poorly mounted at present and will be relocated to on top of the down tube, at the head tube. Wiring is there anyway. Cable to the PowerMonkey will be a short run from the head tube to my handlebar bag, where the PowerMonkey will live.

No big issue or clutter imho.
I'm fussy about these things...aesthetics are important to me. :roll: :)
e-Werk with auxilliary battery - no thanks...
Last edited by RonK on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote: It can also be charged via the solar panel, mentioned by IP, or via computer (USB) or wall socket if I'm not mistaken.
I have the Garmin Battery Extender which is a repackaged Power Monkey and the solar charger is really slow, probably pretty much ineffective given the time required to recharge the batteries. I also have the PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable which is a sweet setup with the dynamo.

Andrew
Thanks, that is very useful feedback Andrew. Aidan, take note... :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:22 pm

rifraf wrote: Hi Ron,
I believe you are correct - you need the E-werk.
Another option for charging the Powermonkey without the expense of an E-Werk may be to use a Reecharge Dynamo Kit. It's only $24.99 US (plus shipping no doubt).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 pm

I'd want to check that that is actualy a rectifier, and not simply some sort of voltage regulator to use with DC dynahubs. What sort of dynamo do Biologic do - AC or DC? It is not clearly stated on their website as far as I can see.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:11 am

RonK wrote: I'm fussy about these things...aesthetics are important to me. :roll: :)
e-Werk with auxilliary battery - no thanks...
Hi Ron,
In fairness is this not a similar look to the PedalPower Super-I-Cable with V4 set that you provided? :wink:
The V4 pack appears to lack the water resistance claimed by the Powermonkey but looks like it might be lighter (visually).
I do like the fact there is an Australian agent for the i-cable as the pedestrian postage of zee Germans nearly gave
me a heart attack waiting for my headlight and dynamo hub.
For me both options need careful further evaluation on my part but the E-werk isnt an option before my trip as I'll have left
before it has a chance to arrive from zee Germans.
I have to admit it would be nice to be able to keep my Garmin powered up for my trip west without having to rely on paying for
campsites when there might be perfect wild camping opportunities.
Traveling solo, going into somewhere like a public library to take advantage of a power plug isn't attractive when I'd have to leave my bike, panniers and trailer unattended.
Hmmmmmm food for thought.
I never seem to lack opportunity to part with some dosh reading these threads it appears..... :roll: :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:00 am

il padrone wrote:I'd want to check that that is actualy a rectifier, and not simply some sort of voltage regulator to use with DC dynahubs. What sort of dynamo do Biologic do - AC or DC? It is not clearly stated on their website as far as I can see.
Works with my Son28.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:44 am

rifraf wrote: Hi Ron,
In fairness is this not a similar look to the PedalPower Super-I-Cable with V4 set that you provided? :wink:
I certainly wouldn't use the V4i set. Too fugly. :lol: Well, maybe it would be OK if you left the V4i battery in your handlebar bag. But I would consider using the Super-I-Cable on it's own if for any reason the Reecharge is not up to the job.

I suggested the PedalPower Super-I-Cable with V4i as cheaper alternative to a Powermonkey for those who think they need the power and don't already have an e-Werk. It's up to you how many devices you want to keep charged, and if you have a lot and any require high output then the e-Werk and Powermonkey may be the best solution.

Personally I think trying to keep multiple devices charged is a crazy idea and accordingly have deliberately chosen to rationalize to only one device. My iPhone is my one-and-only communicator, navigator, GPS, bike computer and music and entertainment device.

But remember we started this conversation by asking why I chose the Reecharge. :)
- Inexpensive (AT) only $US100 + shipping
- Simple and elegant
- Charges my iPhone.