Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

Baalzamon

Re: Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 pm

RonK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Just got an email from flyingfurniture, they are on a short break until 2nd Feb. Long Aussie day celebration! OK sending you a pm
You can get them from [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/index.p ... Itemid=108]St">http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/index.p ... Itemid=108]St</a> Kilda Cycles[/url].
Yes I know, but $39 and knowing SJScycles they can get it to me much quicker as well for cheaper. Sure it's $4 but I'm being tight :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:36 am

Baalzamon wrote:
RonK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Just got an email from flyingfurniture, they are on a short break until 2nd Feb. Long Aussie day celebration! OK sending you a pm
You can get them from [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/index.p ... Itemid=108]St">http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/index.p ... Itemid=108]St</a> Kilda Cycles[/url].
Yes I know, but $39 and knowing SJScycles they can get it to me much quicker as well for cheaper. Sure it's $4 but I'm being tight :)
Ahhhhhhh, this will no doubt be the reason I couldn't get hold of Ian on the phone today and why my email is as yet unanswered.

I've just ordered a mirror (901/1) as per IP's pic from SJS at 22.33UKP delivered.
I've received my confirmation email.
I'll add a comment when it arrives.
Cheers
Aidan :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

polishbiker wrote:Hmmm,

Emailed *bike about the "not able to send to Australia" to check if this is the same error as last time, got a reply:

"Rohloff wants to protect the local distributor in Australia, hence we and
all other german dealers are not allowed to deliver to Australia"

Perhaps something changed as of new year?! Hub in Oz is 1800$+!
To all interested.

My order from bike24 was successful, hub arrived today so not sure what the deal is. If you are after one then perhaps now its the time to get one.

Was going to email starbike/bike24 to clarify what the situation is.

RonK

Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:23 pm

polishbiker wrote:Was going to email starbike/bike24 to clarify what the situation is.
I think it's probably wiser not to email bike24 and bring it to their attention since they are still shipping here.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 pm

RonK wrote:
polishbiker wrote:Was going to email starbike/bike24 to clarify what the situation is.
I think it's probably wiser not to email bike24 and bring it to their attention since they are still shipping here.
Well, that's option number 2 :) Just a bit concerned that starbike is loosing customers due to possibly having incorrect information, but then again receiving the hub from bike24 could have been an error on their behalf perhaps.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:40 pm

polishbiker wrote:Just a bit concerned that starbike is loosing customers due to possibly having incorrect information.
Methinks starbike can look after themselves in that regard.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Ok then, i will leave it -)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:08 pm

polishbiker wrote: To all interested.

My order from bike24 was successful, hub arrived today so not sure what the deal is. If you are after one then perhaps now its the time to get one.

Was going to email starbike/bike24 to clarify what the situation is.
Hi Pawel
Wow, that seems quick.
When exactly did you order?
Glad you managed to get one OK for your new build.
What else has arrived?
Cheers
Aidan

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Mr rifraf -)

well, was quicker than my last bike24 order, ordered on 10th of Jan so cant complain too much i suppose :)

Sold my surly last sunday so finally ordered mk2 frame and some remaining bits tonight, should be here next week so bike should be ready mid Feb as all other bits are already waiting, woho! Then the question is where to go... :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 am

polishbiker wrote:Mr rifraf -)
woho! Then the question is where to go... :)
Only you can answer that one Pawel.
The great thing is, you'll very soon be equipped to go anywhere you like.
When the wind blows, can you not hear Mel Gibson as William Wallace yelling "Freedom!" (Braveheart).

Saying that the East is in for a wet year (as is NZ).
How do you like the rain?
In your spd's I'd be considering Top End and on to Cairns perhaps for a squiz.
Whens the film festival?
I saw a fishing program recently and the were catching great feeds from one of the wharves
in or around Broome.
You'd have to take a week off to eat some of the fish they were catching they were so big. :D

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:17 pm

getting there slowly -)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Looking good Pawel. Good to see you got that EX box sorted.

What is that bracket you have mounted on your seat tube for ??
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Want to use it as a fuel bottle holder (adjustable for different size bottles), its got good rubber grip.

Still few things yet to be installed -)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:43 am

Finally the bike is now completed. Some shots below:

Big thanks to member Baalzamon for helping me out with this build! Its been an interesting few weeks getting this bike together :roll:

Now to plan the next trip!

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Nice bike!!!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:09 am

Wingnut wrote:Nice bike!!!
Snap - Ditto on that comment!
Looking good Pawel :!: :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:43 am

Bye Bye thorn nomad :(
I hope you are better for the new owner.

Loved the roholff but flat bars... Nope not a fan now after my crash last year. If I had drops would have been better injury for me.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Super Commuter

Postby Super Commuter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Many thanks to Baalzamon for my new Thorn Raven Nomad! :D

And to those in this thread posting so much about it (special mention to il padrone of course) - really helped decide that it was the bike for me. With three young kids needing a lot of attention it will be some time before I can put it to its designed touring use though. The main attraction for me right now was the low levels of maintenance required. I have had enough of mucking around with derailleurs, charging / losing batteries for lights, truing rims, fixing broken spokes, cleaning cassettes, etc etc etc. Basically baby sitting fragile equipment in order to stay on the road. We only have one car and I need reliable two wheeled transport at any time of the day or night and I don't have time to faff around in the shed fixing stuff when I could be playing with the kids. Or riding for that matter!

I just want a bike to ride, get to places I need to go and carry a decent amount of stuff when I need to in the process. I need to do that day in and day out, rain, hail or shine. Doesn't have to be the fastest on the commuting circuit - just has to get there reliably without a puncture (might be putting on my Marathon Plus tyres...). Service intervals similar to a motorbike should help! And a good gear range.

So I reckon I've finally got my ideal bike although I will admit this is still quite a bit OTT in terms of over engineering, even for my intended purpose. But given what lots of people pay for the latest and greatest carbon fibre unobtainium featherweight things, I'm pretty happy!

Thanks again Baalzamon! Time to start riding now...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:16 pm

If anyone is looking for a Thorn Nomad, I spotted this frame and forks etc on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121014857136 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks a decent price for one of the coupling model.
It is a smaller size frame and too small for me to consider unfortunately.
Pick up only too which is painful all round :roll:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Wow, I thought that there would be at least a little expressed excitement or at leas interest in the above post. A tad too small
for my liking and the no posting makes him challenging to deal with. I did think that the pice would be worthy of comment at least.
Ah well, moving right along..... :o

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 am

Baalzamon wrote:It seems now that Rohloff are now doing a 36hole version of the hub. It's available on starbike, but not bike24 yet.
Yes I just ordered one. :D It appeared to go through ok despite months ago a message stating no Australian sales as per past posts in this thread (RE: Polishbikers order)
Not sure if it was Andrews email to them that swung it or if I just got my order through by chance.
I wasn't going to mention it online but as I today received my tracking number I'm reasonably confident its on its way.
I ordered the 36 hole, disk braked, external mech for OEM dropouts. I dont have these dropouts but I'm hoping I can just order a torque arm kit should I decide to add the hub to my Moulton.
In this case the disk may be superfluous but immaterial as its futureproof should I want it on another frame :idea: . I ordered the plain silver version as the extra cost for anodisation seemed a little excessive and would bump me over the tax threshold. My order with insured shipping came to $998Au. so I expect to miss out on a claim from customs for gst etc. :P

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 am

rifraf wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:It seems now that Rohloff are now doing a 36hole version of the hub. It's available on starbike, but not bike24 yet.
Yes I just ordered one. :D It appeared to go through ok despite months ago a message stating no Australian sales as per past posts in this thread (RE: Polishbikers order)
Not sure if it was Andrews email to them that swung it or if I just got my order through by chance.
I wasn't going to mention it online but as I today received my tracking number I'm reasonably confident its on its way.
I ordered the 36 hole, disk braked, external mech for OEM dropouts. I dont have these dropouts but I'm hoping I can just order a torque arm kit should I decide to add the hub to my Moulton.
In this case the disk may be superfluous but immaterial as its futureproof should I want it on another frame :idea: . I ordered the plain silver version as the extra cost for anodisation seemed a little excessive and would bump me over the tax threshold. My order with insured shipping came to $998Au. so I expect to miss out on a claim from customs for gst etc. :P
Sweet...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:18 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:[
Sweet...
I sure hope so :!: Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever get curious enough about a product that included dropping such a chunk of change for such a small part of a bike. Still, despite my misgivings, its too late for buyers remorse now me and my cash have parted ways. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces instead of just reading about other peoples opinions.
I'll soon have the luxury of forming (and no doubt espousing :roll: ) my own opinion. :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 pm

My starbike Rohloff package has hit Australia according to DHL "The shipment has arrived in the destination country"so previous experience would suggest another five days to clear customs, pass to Auspost and place in my hot little hands. Ze German post hasn't been quite so pedestrian it seems. Things are looking up. :)

rifraf

A little IGH goodness

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 pm

OK, it appears official.
You can buy from Germany with no issues.
My order has arrived and no questions from customs or fees although it wouldnt have taken much of a currency fluctuation to put me over the threshold.
I'm still not sure what its going in but at least now my likely big purchase is now over and needs no more thought
(save for there was no QR in the package - I'm not sure at this stage if one was supposed to be as different Rohloff owners are of different opinion. I've sent off an email to the supplier to explain).
Ze box
Ze hub
Ze owners manual.

Next decision is which dynamo disk hub. The choices appear to be Son28 silver/centerlock disk/36H or the SP
disk/36h PD-8s in silver (polished)