how often do you change your cycling bidon

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
NBSE2

Postby NBSE2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Just wondering if water bottles do actually have used by dates. Where you use bottles especially in the heat of the day, where they heat and soften up, whether this impacts on the plastic in any way, potentially leeching chemicles and impacting on ones health. My general experience is that the higher quality cycling bidons tend not to be impacted by the heat however they are not stamped with a used by date.

The following quote sums up my concern.
“it now appears possible that some as-yet unidentified chemicals in these plastics (PET) have the potential to interfere with estrogen and other reproductive hormones, just as the infamous plasticizers BPA and phthalates do” source: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/04/2 ... ealth.html

Any thoughts?

Crittski

Re: how often do you change your cycling bidon

Postby Crittski » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

My thoughts?

I think there are more important things in the world that i worry about less...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 am

Id probably only ever change them or replace them if i lost or somehow broke one.

Could always try and find yourself some glass bottles... just make sure to never drop them.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:44 am

i have about 10, i cant even give them away
when do we stop for coffee???

heanous

Postby heanous » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:45 pm

I have kids....mine disapear all the time...occasionally they reappear in the lost property bin at school...

Benz250

Postby Benz250 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Had the same 2 for past two & half years, was looking at them yesterday after my ride and thinking maybe I should invest in some new ones. Had thought they would last for ever!

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 pm

I have too many bottles to count but i do have my favorites. I find the outsides get scratched up and look scungy. My theory is that the older the bottle is the more likely that if there was going to be leachate, it would have leached out by now and that older bottles = better. Like when you get a new bottle and it tastes plasticky and then the taste issue goes away after a few uses/washes.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:32 pm

When i hit a bump, it bounced out of the cage and rolled off a cliff 6k into a 70k ride....
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 pm

jet-ski wrote:I have too many bottles to count but i do have my favorites. I find the outsides get scratched up and look scungy. My theory is that the older the bottle is the more likely that if there was going to be leachate, it would have leached out by now and that older bottles = better. Like when you get a new bottle and it tastes plasticky and then the taste issue goes away after a few uses/washes.
Yep, I go by the same theory. Although starting with a good quality bidon like Camelbak gives you an advantage.

A soak in denture solution every once in a while to keep the grungy black stuff at bay. The outsides of mine look attrocious :lol: thanks to some wet weather trail riding at Terrey Hills. At least then nobody will steal them.

So nobody, you're on notice - I'm watching you very closely :P :wink:

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:50 pm

I use mine until they wear out. The type where you push the top on tend to split at the same place each time

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Sorry- also wanted to say that, after experiencing stomach upsets due to bacteria, my wife and I are fastidious at cleaning drink bottles. Once every 6 weeks or so we take the nozzle apart and clean it thoroughly on every bottle we've used. It is frightening how much horrible slimy stuff accumulates in the nozzle - especially if you use sports drink!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 pm

I have 4 ... And they are getting ratty. Kids use them for sports too. I just bleach them every week or so and rinse them well.
When I get round to unpacking some boxes I will find the 100's I have picked up after races ... But I don't like using them unless I have a few from the same team :-)

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I've been using baby bottle steralizer. Once in a blue moon. Definitely some plastics especially if scoured on the inside can develop parmamould. I try to buy clear bottles only now so I can spot this a throw the odd bottle after this develops.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:53 pm

God mine would be lucky to get washed every 3 weeks or so. I only ever drink water on my rides though. I find the only time they get manky is when you use some sort of sports drink mix in them. When I was in the army I didn't wash a couple of my water bottles for 3 or 4 years with no I'll effects.

population100

Postby population100 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:04 pm

trailgumby wrote:At least then nobody will steal them.
Do people steal bidons?

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 pm

yeah I only seem to have issues when I have sports drink in them.... with water in them I just clean them with normal dishwashing detergent every few weeks...
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:58 pm

trailgumby wrote: Yep, I go by the same theory. Although starting with a good quality bidon like Camelbak gives you an advantage.

A soak in denture solution every once in a while to keep the grungy black stuff at bay
My camelbacks have this black !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! inside the suction nozzle and I can't get it out.
Might give denture solution a go.

Is there a trick to it? Or do I just leave it soak for a few hours?

Any other solutions if that doesn't work?

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:55 am

Come on guys, stick on the topic, NBSE2 is worried about the unknown chemicals that will increase his bust size, not gastro-inducing slime...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Aluminum or stainless steel bidons are available. I don't know how well the Kleen Kanteens work, though. The Al ones I have are great for bush walking etc, but the sports lid on it is horrible and I don't use them on the bike. They would be good for chucking at cars, though.

symo

Postby symo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 pm

I change every 6 months, and clean the bottles with Milton anti-bacterial tablets (from chemist) monthly if I remember.
I've got a few of the BPA free bottles but I can still smell the plastic.
So with new bottles after cleaning, I take the lids off and let them air for about a month before using them.
There's less of the "plastic" smell.

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Best cleaner is sodium percarbonate. It's the active ingrediant in napisan.

By getting it pure it's about three times stronger and has no detergants or perfumes.

It breaks down into sodium carbonate and oxygen. The O2 eats everything pretty effectively and it is non-toxic. Just give it a rinse afterwards and it's as good as new.

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Like others - I have a bazillion of these things... but the ones in usual rotation are CamelBak ones. I give em a quick rinse and scrub with a bottle brush and then stick em in the dish washer. Clean as.
Cheers,
Dave

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:30 pm

I've got 12 on top of the kitchen cupboard. Over time, I've bought bigger ones, for longer more intense rides.
The biggest are just shy of 1 litre.
Amongst the 12 are 3 I've picked up off the side of the road after mass rides. Perfectly serviceable. I clean these with kitchen detergent, then iodine solution for half an hour, then commercial strength bleach for 15 mins, then kitchen detergent. Seems like a lot of trouble but I have paid north of $20 for a bottle.

For summer, I have 4 favorites, and would fill them 3-4 times a week, and wash them not even once a fortnight in kitchen detergent.
I think the high turnover of fluid probably keeps mine cleaner. My ex might fill hers once every 2-4 weeks, and from time to time gets a black mould growing in them.

The most important thing to me about bottles is that they don't leak. In the car, I've resorted to carrying them in a bucket.

I think concerns such as this have to be kept in perspective. I know teenagers who won't drink fat reduced milk because they've read it is less natural and carries some health risk. And yet these same people binge drink and eat way too much animal cholesterol and starch, and no where near enough fruit and vege. The thing most likely to compromise Westerners' lives and put them in an early grave is artherosclerosis. And if you are worried about oestrogen, have a read up on the relationships between alcohol and excess visceral fat, and testosterone and oestrogen.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:33 pm

Rex wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Yep, I go by the same theory. Although starting with a good quality bidon like Camelbak gives you an advantage.

A soak in denture solution every once in a while to keep the grungy black stuff at bay
My camelbacks have this black showtime inside the suction nozzle and I can't get it out.
Might give denture solution a go.

Is there a trick to it? Or do I just leave it soak for a few hours?

Any other solutions if that doesn't work?
The clear nozzle is removable. You need to be very careful removing them though (i ripped one and without knowing there were spares available threw the lid in the bin(only a mud/dirt protector is available that wiggle carry)
My method is to twist the clear nozzle over the lips of the engagement valve and then try to pull it over top. Use warm water and a toothpick to scratch the slime/dried dirt out(this can be done without removing the nozzle from the lid but harder)

Pickles

Postby Pickles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 pm

heanous wrote:I have kids....mine disapear all the time...occasionally they reappear in the lost property bin at school...
I have the same problem :D . If they reappear the tops are either chewed or missing.