Buying a new fixed / SS

sandberry

Buying a new fixed / SS

Postby sandberry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm looking to buy a new single speed / fixed bike, and a quality one at that. The chrome Bianchi Pistas have really caught my eye and I'm considering purchasing one to replace my current second-hand SS roadie. Below's the backstory if you're interested.
I started riding seriously just a number of months ago when I bought a second-hand SS off of a bloke who'd built it up to find it was too small. It turned out to be a great deal at $375, with solid brakes, levers, crankset, headset, and the frame had a great powder coating on it, along with bullhorn bars which I've loved and a great seat. However, the frame is unfortunately just a bit too large for me, and while I've put in many kms with this bike, I've realised I really do want a more appropriately sized frame, and preferably a nice new one. As I've been looking however, it's become increasingly apparent that with the cost of a new frame, I'd probably be better off getting a complete bike for it's frame. So I figured, maybe it's about time I got a bit more serious and put down some good money for a quality single speed, and work my current bike into a commuter / consider selling parts, something like that.
Aesthetically I really like the pistas, both with regards to the geometry and also the chrome, and from what I've read they're a solid frame to work with. But I thought I'd see if there were any opinions here that might help with my decision.

BRLVR.v2

Re: Buying a new fixed / SS

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:41 pm

I'd be looking at a Fuji classic track also. much better price point and a proven history with most owners/punters.

either or i suppose, both are a step up from a conversion anyway.

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:53 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:I'd be looking at a Fuji classic track also. much better price point and a proven history with most owners/punters.

either or i suppose, both are a step up from a conversion anyway.
Thanks for the heads up, always good to have a few options to compare

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:34 pm

how much is a new Chrome Bianchi Pistas go for these days?

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 pm

slidetaker wrote:how much is a new Chrome Bianchi Pistas go for these days?
I haven't inquired at any shops yet, but I actually started considering it recently however because there seems to have been a promotional campaign with some Peroni branded pistas coming up on eBay for fairly intriguing prices which got me thinking. That said, I'm almost at the stage now where I think I'd rather splurge a little and get the real deal - if I decide on the pista that is.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Pistas are nice.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:08 pm

For the price of a Italian brand Pista, assuming $800-900, it is fair bit of money to play with.

Obviously depends how much time and efforts you are able to put out.

But I think it is quite possible to build something more unique and better quality. I am guessing and people around here can provide more info

Basic CroMo frame with track dropout. ($150)
Tange Prestige Chrome fork. ($250)
Wheelsets ($300)

and extra $200 to ebay for secondhand bar, stems, saddle etc....

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Unfortunately finding a new, simple frame with track ends has
been harder than I thought it would be. The advice I've been given from the bike shop's I've visited has been that I'd be better off getting a complete bike (and possibly selling the extra components) because a frame
on it's own can't easily be had for less than, say $500.
Beyond the cheap Chinese track frames on eBay, which I would probably give a shot if I wasn't after a more old school rounded tubing, I haven't had much luck so far.

At a Bianchi dealer today I had a chat, and it seems
the chrome might not be available - waiting to hear back from them as they check
with their rep. The via condotti and the milk and coffee frames are stocked however, so I might consider one of them. Those in stock range from around $1,200 to $1,500

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Even $1200 sounds really steep for a single/fixed bike.

If you consider the oversea market, track frame with track end should not cost more than $400-$500 including int' shipping. They usually come with a decent fork (saving of a couple of hundreds). But you need to wait for a while for your preferred size and style. That gives you like $500 for wheelsets and tyres. Got to be a better wheelsets than the stock Bianchi Pista....

Is the Bianchi Pista lugged or welded? Is it still from Italy these days?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm

$1200 sounds steep for a Bianchi Pista. Nice? Maybe. Worth that? Maybe not, not to me, but its not for me, izzit?

For $1200 you could go to either of these guys and see what they've got:
http://njs-keirin.blogspot.com/
http://tracksupermarket.com/

Jim

kreyziest

Postby kreyziest » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 pm

there're a few second hand bianchi pista on ebay at the moment, check em out they seem to be in a good condition. 8)

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Yeah a $1200 price tag is quite significant. I think they're now manufactured in the US - but I haven't checked this.
Thanks for the links familyguy, both definetely look like they're worth investigating.

The pistas on ebay seem to be Peroni branded promotional models - I'm still doing a bit of research to see how their parts match up to the originals.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:45 pm

sandberry wrote:Yeah a $1200 price tag is quite significant. I think they're now manufactured in the US - but I haven't checked this.
Thanks for the links familyguy, both definetely look like they're worth investigating.

The pistas on ebay seem to be Peroni branded promotional models - I'm still doing a bit of research to see how their parts match up to the originals.
Frames are chiawanese.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:04 pm

sandberry wrote:Yeah a $1200 price tag is quite significant. I think they're now manufactured in the US - but I haven't checked this.

Just did an ebay search and came up with this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Limited-Edit ... 696wt_1016
ad wrote: This bicycle retails for $1249 for a normal 2011 Pista Steel Bianchi Bicycle. (Ref http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /100293485 )
As this is a limited edition Peroni branded bicycle I could ask for more but I will start the action price at $800.00
I believe this to be very fair
I believe this to be very over-rated. Not worth $800, let alone $1200. Unless you really, really want a Bianchi. $1200 better spent someplace else, unless you can source a bare frame.
BRLVR.v2 wrote:Frames are chiawanese.
This. Taiwan is the likely place.

Jim

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:36 pm

familyguy wrote:

Just did an ebay search and came up with this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Limited-Edit ... 696wt_1016
ad wrote: This bicycle retails for $1249 for a normal 2011 Pista Steel Bianchi Bicycle. (Ref http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /100293485 )
As this is a limited edition Peroni branded bicycle I could ask for more but I will start the action price at $800.00
I believe this to be very fair
I believe this to be very over-rated. Not worth $800, let alone $1200. Unless you really, really want a Bianchi. $1200 better spent someplace else, unless you can source a bare frame.
BRLVR.v2 wrote:Frames are chiawanese.
This. Taiwan is the likely place.

Jim
Haha, that particular line, "As this is a limited edition Peroni branded bicycle I could ask for more but I will start the action price at $800.00", I found rather funny. There are a few on gumtree and ebay, none have sold that I've seen so far, so I'm in no rush to put down $800 for that. Yeah, I think $1200 when I'm only interested in the frame itself is a bit steep.
I think i'll be keeping my eye out for a good deal on a second-hand, and used, one, while looking at alternative frames.