How to politely ask others to allow me to pass?

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 am

Hi all - First post, not sure if it is in the correct section...

I have just got back into cycling, but have never really done any road cycling. It was always MTB, so I didn't ever experience many slow moving objects, and even if I did, they would hear me coming.

I often cycle at the Penrith Regatta Centre, which will have to do until my road nerves are 100%.

Every time without fail, I come across a pair of slow cyclers shoulder to shoulder, a pair of derby girls (no complaints there), or dog walkers.

The first time I rode there, I was overtaken by two really fast guys. Up ahead were two slower ones - These fast guys called out something (magical maybe), and the others moved over to let the past.

My question is, what is the polite way of asking people to move over while I pass, and what would these guys have called out? It was a single word - Left maybe, didn't hear.

I don't want to have to fit a bell.....

Thanks y'all,

Linc

RonK

Re: How to politely ask others to allow me to pass?

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 am

"Bikes back" (to pedestrians), "Passing" or "Passing, right" usually does the trick.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:34 am

Ding ding!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:42 am

WestcoastPete wrote:Ding ding!
And if they don't move over, a blast from that airhorn I see on your handlebars Pete? :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09 pm

They probably called "passing" ?? :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:50 pm

It always makes me giggle when people say 'ding ding' - I've tried it before too and it works quite well. I do prefer my bell though. My airhorn is mainly used on taxis who try to turn in front of me.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:59 pm

As others have said, "Passing" or "Bike Back" are pretty standard.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:26 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote: I don't want to have to fit a bell.....

I dont want to be an ass, but that is not a choice you can make, as it is required by law to have one !

I find that the bell is very effective in doing just that, as the bell is a sound that is assosiated with bikes,
so if ones hears the bell, they know straight away its a bike. 8)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:47 pm

If it's a bike I'll call out "Passing", if it's pedestrians I'll yell out "ring ring"

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello, who's speaking please? :mrgreen:

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:57 pm

damhooligan wrote: I find that the bell is very effective in doing just that, as the bell is a sound that is assosiated with bikes,
Seems to me that a high proportion of pedestrians cannot hear a bell - either because they are using earphones, or because they are suffering hearing degradation like I am and cannot hear high frequency sounds. Both are more likely to hear a clear, strong call.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

RonK wrote:
damhooligan wrote: I find that the bell is very effective in doing just that, as the bell is a sound that is assosiated with bikes,
Seems to me that a high proportion of pedestrians cannot hear a bell - either because they are using earphones, or because they are suffering hearing degradation like I am and cannot hear high frequency sounds. Both are more likely to hear a clear, strong call.
Unless they're deaf.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:10 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:
RonK wrote:
Unless they're deaf.
Hearing degradation - isn't that what I said Pete?

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:26 pm

People out walking, especially together, are really good at tuning out everything but their own thoughts and the yabber between themselves.
I've even done it myself.
If you are going to yell, err on the up side, and shout from further back.
When I ring my bell, I always ring it with intent to be heard...loudly...2 rings for solo walkers; and 3-4 fast rings for more than 1. Even with 4 rings, groups of walkers still don't necessarily hear it, or respond.
If someone is walking or riding a pretty straight line to the left, I often don't ring if doing under 27kph.
If people are wearing ipods, it's probably a lost cause.

Usually in a group of 'x' bikes, I might ring several times or yell "x bikes".
Sometimes when riding solo I yell "3 bikes" especially at people who seem particularly ignorant they are on a shared pathway. Good to keep them guessing. :D
I find ignorance on shared pathways just as horrible in up market vs low brow burbs. Some toffs like blue rinse ladies around New Farm, resent bikes being on their paths, and always yell out 'ring your bell', even when you did. Sometimes, when I haven't rung my bell, I reply "I did ring it. get a hearing aid".
Ahhh, the deep colorful tapestry of life on two wheels.

Another time when I was having coffee at the very crowded Garage, some cyclists were trying to get past these teen girl pedestrians who were typically engrossed in themselves and their inane conversation, and blocking the exit for the cyclists. They were trying to get the girl's attention but no response.
As I'd just wolfed down a few pastries from next door, I had an empty brown paper bag. Being up for some sport I whispered to my mates the game, then blew the bag up. and smacked it as hard as I could. BANG!!!!. the sound echo'ed and magnified in that space...my mates and I simultaneously dropped to the ground pretending it was a gun shot or something. These girls screamed, ran, cowered.... basically didn't know what to do..... The guys on the bikes trying to pass saw it all ..... and plssed themselves, as did everyone wearing lycra. Some people just haven't been brought up to realize it is not 'all about me'...and a few lessons in common courtesy and external awareness in crowded spaces might save your life one day.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 pm

RonK wrote:
This would take care of those high frequency issues.....

What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Mandatory Bell Laws[ MBL's] are stopping people riding bikes in this country. Which then makes riding a bike more dangerous for us all. Its MHL's first commandment. Anyway, I once rang my bell and nothing happened, so I obviously dont need them all the time. I demand the right to choose when to carry a bell on my bike. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, I call out...rider....everyone on the cycleway I use has been fine with it, most say thanks and I always thank them. Its a mtb thing, so you can use it everywhere.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:11 pm

slow down, call 'passing', then thanks as I pass. only adds a second to your ride.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 am

Ozkaban wrote:slow down, call 'passing', then thanks as I pass. only adds a second to your ride.
+1 I always thank those that move so I can pass.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:55 pm

damhooligan wrote:[I dont want to be an ass, but that is not a choice you can make, as it is required by law to have one !

I thought you had to be an audible warning device - whether that be a bell, horn, any gadget that plays the mexican hat dance. Certainly where I am anyway. So its not law to must have a bell.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Yes, but the law does specify 'device'. Despite what many people try to assert, your voice will not fill this description, and if taken before a magistrate...... well, you'll be paying.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 pm

cp123 wrote: I thought
Mmm, you thought wrong... :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 am

Do what all good road users do, wait until it is safe to pass and do it!
It's not rocket science!!.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:02 am

I find a bell most effective when riding on shared paths. A gentle ding ding when approaching about 50m away and a louder DING as you get closer if they don't move the first time. 99% of people react favourably when they hear the bell. Usually the only people that don't move are peoiple with iPods that can't hear you.

I find it can cause confusion if you call out passing on right or similar, some people don't know the left from the right and move the wrong way.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 am

Baldy wrote:Mandatory Bell Laws[ MBL's] are stopping people riding bikes in this country. Which then makes riding a bike more dangerous for us all. Its MHL's first commandment. Anyway, I once rang my bell and nothing happened, so I obviously dont need them all the time. I demand the right to choose when to carry a bell on my bike. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, I call out...rider....everyone on the cycleway I use has been fine with it, most say thanks and I always thank them. Its a mtb thing, so you can use it everywhere.
Don't make us start a "Mandatory Bell Laws" thread Baldy! Soon we'll have a "Mandatory White or Silver Mudguard only in WA" thread if this keeps up! :P

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:24 am

Two dings of the bell, if they don't move, a few more... unless they have earphones in, then they get a squirt of the Air Zound.