Replace helmet every 3 years?

stinhambo

Replace helmet every 3 years?

Postby stinhambo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi there,

I was advised that for insurance purposes, you should replace your crash helmet every 3 years.

Is this BS or something others can confirm? Just wondered as I'm not sure whether to drop a couple of hundred on a really nice Lazer 02.

il padrone

Re: Replace helmet every 3 years?

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 pm

I believe there is a recommendation something like that as the polystyrene foam begins to deteriorate and get brittle due to sun exposure. Some of the more expensive new helmets with almost complete bonded microshell should last longer as they don't expose the foam to sun.

I have found that my helmets get pretty gungy and knocked about after 4-5 years and have replaced them regularly. But I don't throw more than about $100 on a helmet mostly.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:00 pm

il padrone wrote:I believe there is a recommendation something like that as the polystyrene foam begins to deteriorate and get brittle due to sun exposure. Some of the more expensive new helmets with almost complete bonded microshell should last longer as they don't expose the foam to sun.

I have found that my helmets get pretty gungy and knocked about after 4-5 years and have replaced them regularly. But I don't throw more than about $100 on a helmet mostly.
I've had mine about 5 years and it's almost as good as new but I was curious if there was a shelf life. Do you know who I might ask? Bicycle Queensland perhaps?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:28 pm

stinhambo wrote:Hi there,

I was advised that for insurance purposes, you should replace your crash helmet every 3 years.

Is this BS or something others can confirm? Just wondered as I'm not sure whether to drop a couple of hundred on a really nice Lazer 02.
Ditched my commuter helment after 3 years. You could see the UV Damage on it, and the plastic shell had started to debond from the polystyrene. Binned it and started using my Limar 104 spare that I picked up for $75 on special.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 am

Thinking about replacing my helmet, but mainly becuase the inside is getting gungy
Anything you can do, I can do slower

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Linky.

As stated in the page, MET claims you can expect at least eight years life from their helmets.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 am

stinhambo wrote:Hi there,

So what insurance is being referred to here?