New Garmin 800

Aushiker

Re: New Garmin 800

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:51 am

Strawburger wrote:I believe you can check to see if the sensor is working by passing the cadence/speed magnets past the sensors. The light on the sensor should turn red for cadence and green for speed. I only get the red light popping up no matter what settings i set. Fingers crossed fresh batteries will fix it.
On the three that I have now working if I press the button the red and then green lights come on, but if I run the wheel or pedal pass them only the red comes on.

Andrew

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 am

Sounds like the wheel magnet is too far away or not aligned with the sensor. If you run a magnet right next to the speed sensor does the green light come on?
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks Andrew/HAKS. The magnet is as close as the proverbial on all bikes. I will have a look tonight and see if (when i press the button) both the red and green lights come on.

Cheers!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Strawburger wrote:Thanks Andrew/HAKS. The magnet is as close as the proverbial on all bikes. I will have a look tonight and see if (when i press the button) both the red and green lights come on.!
Well I now have a new one that when pressed both lights come on and when I spin the pedals the red light flashes; the Edge 800 pairs okay but no cadence. Just can't win.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 am

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Yet another option for cadence/speedo sensor (especially suitable for long chainstays)
http://bicycling.about.com/od/equipment ... itness.htm
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:02 am

rifraf wrote:Yet another option for cadence/speedo sensor (especially suitable for long chainstays)
Thanks for the suggestion. Might try one as I am pretty over the Garmin units and their lack of reliability.

Andrew

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Yet another option for cadence/speedo sensor (especially suitable for long chainstays)
Thanks for the suggestion. Might try one as I am pretty over the Garmin units and their lack of reliability.

Andrew
+1 i may give this one a go.

I've found that the GSC-10's have a reed switch in the arm of the speed sensor. This is pretty weak and break if the magnet flicks that plastic arm.

fix speed on gsc-10
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Might try one as I am pretty over the Garmin units and their lack of reliability.

Andrew
I lasted about 4 months. Gave it to the kids. Sick of the poor battery life, the cadence sensor and HRM dropping out.

Replaced it with a Bontrager Node 2 with a duotrap for a Trek Madone. It is ANT+ compatible but does not record data.
But each component takes one CR2032 and the battery is supposed to last around 300 hours. Looks like well exceeding that by the bars left after 70 hours.

The thing works more reliably than the Garmin 800. I've had to re-pair the HRM twice but that may have been caused by not wearing it when the unit was going through its regular pair search on start up. The navigation is also a bit confusing, but then there's a lot to deal with and I am getting older.

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:29 pm

I was at the LBS today looking at the Garmin 800s. The guy there told me to hold out a month or so as the Garmin 900 is due to be released. I've since done some googling and can't find anything apart from a Garmin GPS designed for model planes... Does anyone know if there is a garmin 900 around the corner?

Assuming the Garmin 900 is not happening, anyone got an 800 lately (with the full kit - maps, cadence, HRM) for a good price from an Australian distributor? Handing over 650 hard earned for some gadgetry is still not sitting well with me!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Evetsllub wrote:Assuming the Garmin 900 is not happening, anyone got an 800 lately (with the full kit - maps, cadence, HRM) for a good price from an Australian distributor? Handing over 650 hard earned for some gadgetry is still not sitting well with me!
http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/ ... very happy with the service received from Rob and the team.

Andrew

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Evetsllub wrote:I was at the LBS today looking at the Garmin 800s. The guy there told me to hold out a month or so as the Garmin 900 is due to be released. I've since done some googling and can't find anything apart from a Garmin GPS designed for model planes... Does anyone know if there is a garmin 900 around the corner?

Assuming the Garmin 900 is not happening, anyone got an 800 lately (with the full kit - maps, cadence, HRM) for a good price from an Australian distributor? Handing over 650 hard earned for some gadgetry is still not sitting well with me!
BikeRadar I think had it on their wishlist for 2012 but even they weren't hopeful. When it is announced I would expect it to still be a good few months before stock lands in Aus. I would say a new GPS will be out 6 or so months after the Garmin Vector power metres hit the streets.

I got my edge 800 from c r c. Had all the attachments already so only needed the unit. Was $400 after discount i recall (in Nov 2011).
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 pm

I believe the technical term for my garmin at the moment is FOOKED. :shock: :shock: I've done a factory reset and it still just sits at the flash startup screen indefinitely. Looks like it's off for a trip to sydney tomorrow...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Comedian wrote:I believe the technical term for my garmin at the moment is FOOKED. :shock: :shock: I've done a factory reset and it still just sits at the flash startup screen indefinitely. Looks like it's off for a trip to sydney tomorrow...
Yep. Been there done that. Thankfully Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes sorted me real smart.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Mine has yet to be a problem, but the horror stories have me worried as there seems
to be so many of them. :(
I'm glad I bought from Rob at HTA as hearing about his great service continues to give
peace of mind. :!:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 am

Aushiker wrote:
Comedian wrote:I believe the technical term for my garmin at the moment is FOOKED. :shock: :shock: I've done a factory reset and it still just sits at the flash startup screen indefinitely. Looks like it's off for a trip to sydney tomorrow...
Yep. Been there done that. Thankfully Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes sorted me real smart.

Andrew
What did they recommend for you? Did they just replace it?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:53 am

Comedian wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
What did they recommend for you? Did they just replace it?
Replaced it.

Andrew

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:54 am

Seems to be a high level of Garmin failures. Not good.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:50 am

DaveOZ wrote:Seems to be a high level of Garmin failures. Not good.
agree.
I'd be interested to see Garmin's business model. They must build these units for X% to have a Y% probability of functioning for Z hours.
I doubt a lot of people would buy them if they knew XYZ.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:33 am

Well MR Garmin is back. He came with a little note saying "Too many activities caused corruption. Advise customer to delete activities periodically."

I handed to my LBS Wednesday morning and it was back Friday morning after a trip to SYD. Regardless of what you think of Garmin I reckon that's pretty impressive. :)

They also flashed it with the latest firmware. HELLO FIVE BIKES!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:14 am

Comedian wrote:Well MR Garmin is back. He came with a little note saying "Too many activities caused corruption. Advise customer to delete activities periodically."

I handed to my LBS Wednesday morning and it was back Friday morning after a trip to SYD. Regardless of what you think of Garmin I reckon that's pretty impressive. :)

They also flashed it with the latest firmware. HELLO FIVE BIKES!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Any idea how many is too many?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 am

norbs wrote:
Comedian wrote:Well MR Garmin is back. He came with a little note saying "Too many activities caused corruption. Advise customer to delete activities periodically."

Any idea how many is too many?
Lots I'd imagine. However in fairness we've probably all got bikes that get ridden occasionally where you wouldn't bother with the garmin. I have three bikes - a commuter, a roadie and a MTB and there was my three. With a couple of spares that will allow for an extra bike here or there. :)

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:20 pm

That's like saying too many data files just sitting passively on a computer will corrupt the OS.

Anyway, maybe they should update their website FAQs and user manual to advise how many activities can be stored safely, or bettter still, delete activities automatically once the instability threshold is reached.

snark

Postby snark » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:38 pm

PawPaw wrote:
That's like saying too many data files just sitting passively on a computer will corrupt the OS.
In defence of the Garmin, it does have limited processing capacity (although I don't know what processing capacity it has!).

My Edge 500 currently has 118 activities. I've been letting it build up for no particular reason, but might clear it out now.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Interesting resonse from Garmin. Has anyone else heard of this? I haven't been able to find any information via Google. I am inclinded to treat these sort of statements with some caution after having Garmin Customer support tell me my Garmin Edge 800 is not waterproof and shouldn't be used in the rain :roll:

Andrew