Good Cyclist friendly coffee down the Bay?

Dr_Mutley

Good Cyclist friendly coffee down the Bay?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:22 pm

HI all... light hearted topic here, so dont take it too seriously!
I have been a regular frequenter of Europa for a couple of years for breakky and post rides etc. Since th echange of ownership most of the staff have left, and the coffee is now terrible. Some of the food is also terrible. Just wondering if there are any Cyclist friendly Cafes down the bay with good coffee?

Heres my thoughts... please add to them if u have an opinion/suggestion to add...
Diclaimer - This is my personal opinion only - i wont be offended if u disagree :)

Europa:
Pros:
good bike parking, large outside area, lots of cyclists (solidarity in numbers - lol) Table Service
Negatives:
Coffee greatly variable - mostly bad, only good from one barista in the evenings
food largely bad and about to get worse

Crema
Pros:
havent been there enough to comment - seems busy enough
Negatives: ?

Mamma Cammelas:
Pros:?
Cons:
Coffee bad, have just erected a cyclists dismount sign to make cyclists get off their bikes (probably called for sometimes, but wreaks of anticyclist sentiment)

Grind It:
Pros:
Great Food, All day breakky, Good Coffee
Cons:
No bike parking, no outdoor area, hard to get to toilets (especially in cleats)

Pure Boutique Coffee:
Pros:
Ok coffee
Cons:
only one table outside

Cibo (GLENELG):
Unless its changed recently - i blacklisted the place a year ago)
Pros:
Large outside area, ample bike parking
Cons:
Weak coffee, borders on bad coffee most of the time (as opposed to other Cibos where its quite good), Rude Staff, Expensive

Sabai Cafe (Partridge St)
Pros:
Good (Mahalia) Coffee, Some outside area, some bike parking
Cons:?

Strand Cafe
Pros:
Large outside area, large selection of cafe food, ample bike parking, nice setting
Cons:
Bad Coffee
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Re: Good Cyclist friendly coffee down the Bay?

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Don't stop for coffee down the bay much at all. Have stopped at Henley though, and both Stella's & Zootz are good.

Zootz however get narky when you clomp inside in their wood floor in cleats (understandable).

Both places have good coffee (& brekky) & plenty of bike parking.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:Don't stop for coffee down the bay much at all. Have stopped at Henley though, and both Stella's & Zootz are good.

Zootz however get narky when you clomp inside in their wood floor in cleats (understandable).
+ 1

but Zootz are blacklisted forever by all sane cyclists for being a bunch of complete c0ckm0nk3ys.

Best coffee on the strip is Joe's kiosk, 300m South of Henley Square on the beachfront.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 pm

+1 to zootz... w@nkers
i wandered into zootz to use the toilets in my rubber heeled sidis, with my cafe covered speedplays, and still got the "chat". Lifted my shoe to show nothing bu rubber coated contacted services, and still got treated like a w@nker... so will never go back... shame as their breakkys arent bad....

Bobby writes a good coffee review here:
http://adelaidecoffee.wordpress.com/

Joes didnt get a glowing report... will try it tho, but dont often have coffee at Henley....

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:56 pm

I avoid the beach like the plague, too many bogans, glass etc so I'm just going to post my favorites elsewhere.
Nano's just off Rundle St, lots of parking, bike friendly and the Doorstops are addictive
Taylors Blend, Hallett Rd, Stonyfell, best coffee in Adelaide at the bottom of the best desent.

Avoid any shop called Cibo!! *insert spanker icon*
Certified Brand Snob

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:05 pm

lol (AT) zootz... cleats an issue but fat women in high heels are OK... what will damage the floor more? :twisted:
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: Taylors Blend, Hallett Rd, Stonyfell, best coffee in Adelaide at the bottom of the best desent.
You'll have to take me one day and show me both !!

alex

Postby alex » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm

The Glenelg Precinct is a popular destination for cyclists and pedestrians and as the weather improves, the volume of cyclists visiting Glenelg increases throughout the day. In particular, we have groups of cyclists who visit cafes at Moseley Square and the surrounding precinct from 7am – 9am each morning and on weekends.

Several cyclists ride from the south along the Esplanade and the Jimmy Melrose shared path to Moseley Square. Other groups of cyclists come to Moseley Square via Anzac Hwy, Colley Tce and Jetty Rd.

In the last month we have received several safety concerns from pedestrians regarding cyclist behaviour within the Glenelg Precinct and especially Jimmy Melrose shared path, Moseley Square and the southern side, western end of Jetty Rd (near Mamma Carmela’s restaurant).

The concerns include:

• Cyclists speeding past pedestrians without warning eg. not ringing bell.

• Cyclists speeding past pedestrians and verbally abusing them.

• Cyclists riding on the southern footpath on Jetty Rd, forcing pedestrians to move out of the way.

• Cyclists riding on footpaths around corners and almost crashing with pedestrians.

The City of Holdfast Bay has a high ageing and very active population and for some older members of our community, their fear of cyclist behaviour is affecting their health and well being.

I appreciate that this is not an easy matter to enforce but it would be greatly appreciated if your organisation would please disseminate information to your members asking them to respect pedestrians in the same manner that cyclists seek to be respected on the road.

Your assistance in this matter is appreciated.
the council have been getting a lot of complaints

dont ride your bike down the front of europa/etc
dont be a loud, sweaty, foul mouthed mamil
dont yell at people
dont act like you own the place

i have seen all of the above mentioned behaviour many many times. i dont have coffee at glenelg any more because it is embarrassing.

the council do not want you there
the non cycling public do not want you there
even the cafes do not want you there (they shut up about it though because they like your money)

this was all caused by the poor behaviour of many cyclists so dont go whinging that it is some anti-lycra conspiracy.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:21 pm

All of that is true Alex and a good reason to avoid the place, bogans, on and off bikes, reign supreme at The Bay.

Is it just me or is the behaviour of our fellow cyclists pretty ordinary at the moment? I know it always degenerates at TDU time as the "we own the roads this week " attitude takes off. But there is a lot of arrogant riding going on, no hand signals, riding abreast in unwarranted areas, the mob mentality ruling.
Certified Brand Snob

alex

Postby alex » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:27 pm

the impression i get is that there are a lot of new riders getting around who are trying to skip the 'new rider' stage

people who have been riding for 3 months telling people off and acting all 'i own the place'... i dont like it

going to europa on a sat morning was something you used to have to earn, the long reserved table was the a-grade table and that was not negotiable! times have changed...

note - i am not an a grader, but that was the unspoken rule that everyone knew
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:59 pm

I agree with the above sentiments guys... and unfortunately we have to suffer from the actions of some irreponsible cyclists who frequent moseley sq and surrounds...

can we keep this thread on topic tho please..... if we want to out the tossers on bikes in that area, we might start a separate thread for that....

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:00 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote: Taylors Blend, Hallett Rd, Stonyfell, best coffee in Adelaide at the bottom of the best desent.
sounds like man love? lol

alex

Postby alex » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:I agree with the above sentiments guys... and unfortunately we have to suffer from the actions of some irreponsible cyclists who frequent moseley sq and surrounds...

can we keep this thread on topic tho please..... if we want to out the tossers on bikes in that area, we might start a separate thread for that....
on topic there are no 'good' and 'cyclist friendly' at glenelg

the only places i can stand to go to are plank and grind it, they are both fairly cyclist friendly and away from the square, but they both have their cons...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm

alex wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:I agree with the above sentiments guys... and unfortunately we have to suffer from the actions of some irreponsible cyclists who frequent moseley sq and surrounds...

on topic there are no 'good' and 'cyclist friendly' at glenelg

the only places i can stand to go to are plank and grind it, they are both fairly cyclist friendly and away from the square, but they both have their cons...
i am a massive fan of grind it... love their food, and their coffee is pretty good... but yeah bike parking is a bit of a worry... i get nervous leaving my bike down the side alley out of sight....

never been to plank, but ive heard it mentioned a few times now alex... coffee ok? cons?

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Nothing wrong with man love between men in Lycra is there? :lol:
Certified Brand Snob

alex

Postby alex » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:24 pm

plank would be the go-to coffee stop for me if they had better service

ive waited 45 min for a coffee there before

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
MichaelB wrote: You'll have to take me one day and show me both !!
Nothing wrong with man love between men in Lycra is there? :lol:
thats what lycras for apparently! (well thats what i hear yelled at me via car occupants on most rides i go on)
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:51 pm

oi Mutley!!!

keep it on topic why don't ya? :twisted: :wink:

if you wanna out yourself there are forums for that. :D

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:58 pm

www.Ilovemeninlycrawhodrinkcoffeeatglenelg.com.au

You will be wanting this Mutley! 8)
Certified Brand Snob

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:http://www.Ilovemeninlycrawhodrinkcoffe ... elg.com.au

You will be wanting this Mutley! 8)
im on it boys :)

Pure

Postby Pure » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi guys, I am one of the owners of Pure Boutique Coffee Bar at Glenelg. I also have been a Barista at Europa during the previous ownership. As when I was at Europa, we at Pure are very happy to have cyclists visit our cafe! I have a rare collection of Dragsters and lowriders which I rotate display within the cafe. Apon request we are also in the process of arranging jerseys for the cycling public. We have a large window and huge open floor plan so your bikes are always in view, not to mention our world leading espresso machine the "Synesso Hydra" and the best Baristas and coffee at the bay!
Hope to see you soon!
Waz.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:18 pm

G'Day Waz, welcome outside.

Normally my spam radar would start tweeting like Shame Whine going home from training at a first post like yours, but seeing as it's 100% on topic AND the topic is good coffee, I'm happy to let it go for the benefit of the SA crew.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote:G'Day Waz, welcome outside.

Normally my spam radar would start tweeting like Shame Whine going home from training at a first post like yours, but seeing as it's 100% on topic AND the topic is good coffee, I'm happy to let it go for the benefit of the SA crew.

Shaun
:D :D
Cheers Shaun
Pure wrote:Hi guys, I am one of the owners of Pure Boutique Coffee Bar at Glenelg. I also have been a Barista at Europa during the previous ownership. As when I was at Europa, we at Pure are very happy to have cyclists visit our cafe! I have a rare collection of Dragsters and lowriders which I rotate display within the cafe. Apon request we are also in the process of arranging jerseys for the cycling public. We have a large window and huge open floor plan so your bikes are always in view, not to mention our world leading espresso machine the "Synesso Hydra" and the best Baristas and coffee at the bay!
Hope to see you soon!
Waz.
Hi Waz,
Thanks for joining and posting.... good luck with the new venture, and if indeed u churn out great cooffee, they will come in droves, as your previous cafe Europa is woeful for coffee at the moment and wont provide much competition besides the pull of its tradition....

Out of interest, how did u find this little thread on the state of coffee at the bay? :mrgreen: :?:

Pure

Postby Pure » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:20 am

I am a self confessed coffee geek! So I'm always searching for anything coffee related. Plus I love my bikes. Hope too see you guys soon! Watch out for the tram lines!! ;)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Pure wrote:I am a self confessed coffee geek! So I'm always searching for anything coffee related. Plus I love my bikes. Hope too see you guys soon! Watch out for the tram lines!! ;)
popped i this morning for a coffee after having breakky at grind it... good brew... friendly staff... thanks!