Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

filthpig

Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby filthpig » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right forum/subgroup to post in.

I ended up with an old late 90s/early 00s giant TCR 0 from a swap deal. It has been festidiously maintained (I knew the owner before I was interested in the bike) but I have no idea how many ks it has clocked, but it was involved in serious riding. BUT, everything works, shifts through every gear, shifting is smooth etc. The last shop I had it serviced said that it was "tight" or "well held together" or something along those lines.

Now the problem is, I find it relatively uncomfortable to ride, so was wondering whether to just let go of it, and get onto something like a flat-bar. At this stage I only need to ride 5ks a day, with a large pack, so a dropbar isn't necessary or really desired.

My brother suggested some simple mods, like a new seat, riser and tyres to give it a more comfortable ride. I am considering this as well as to save money, however, I am really not sure whether I should sell it while it still has some value, or run it into the ground?

I am mainly worried about the replacement cost of some of the dura-ace parts, if they do fail.

lethoso

Re: Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby lethoso » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:55 pm

filthpig wrote:My brother suggested some simple mods, like a new seat, riser and tyres to give it a more comfortable ride. I am considering this as well as to save money, however, I am really not sure whether I should sell it while it still has some value, or run it into the ground?
Eh, it's a decade old, it's not going to lose much more value. That said, if the fit's bad, move it on.

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 am

do some research and get you position right. They were a good bike that really wont need much maintance. A decent flat bar will cost inexcess of 1k and wont be as good as the old giant.

filthpig

Postby filthpig » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:17 pm

lethoso wrote:
filthpig wrote:My brother suggested some simple mods, like a new seat, riser and tyres to give it a more comfortable ride. I am considering this as well as to save money, however, I am really not sure whether I should sell it while it still has some value, or run it into the ground?
Eh, it's a decade old, it's not going to lose much more value. That said, if the fit's bad, move it on.
Agree, it won't lose much value if nothing dies.. but for example, my LBS mentioned that if the Dura-ace shifters die, it will be quite costly to replace.
trek52 wrote:do some research and get you position right. They were a good bike that really wont need much maintance. A decent flat bar will cost inexcess of 1k and wont be as good as the old giant.
Any idea, how long should I expect out of the existing Dura-ace componentry if it is well maintained?

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:43 pm

filthpig wrote:Any idea, how long should I expect out of the existing Dura-ace componentry if it is well maintained?
at 5k a day pretty much forever. As the bike shop mentioned though, the shifters might pack it in, no predicting that really. If that happens, you can probably find some newish 9 speed tiagra ones cheap though.

filthpig

Postby filthpig » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Any idea what it may be worth?

Seat post, stem and front rim aren't stock, the rest is.