Does anyone commute to the Northern suburbs in Adelaide?

Fresh

Does anyone commute to the Northern suburbs in Adelaide?

Postby Fresh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:39 pm

I work at Dry Creek and now that it is Xmas week I thought it might be a good time to ride to work with reduced chance of being killed on the predominant truck routes around this area. I'll be heading along Lower Portrush then onto Hampstead rd. I need to eventually get to Cavan rd and I'm trying to decide the best way to get there.

Right now I'm thinking of staying on Hampstead, going over Grand Junction onto Bridge Rd then left onto Montague Rd and ride that all the way to Cavan Rd. Much longer trip, but it avoids the death trap of Grand Junction/Main Nth/Pt Wakefield Rd intersection. I could also go down Regency rd and right onto Churchill rd...

Anyone commute anywhere near this way and got recommendations?

Biffidus

Re: Does anyone commute to the Northern suburbs in Adelaide?

Postby Biffidus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 pm

I commute north along Churchill Rd - no problems so far as there is plenty of room and not very busy during rush hour in that direction.

It seems a lot less safe in the evening however. There is less space and more cars as you travel south. I tend to take my bike on the train instead but prospect road might be worth a look.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 pm

I've been riding cross town north /south to Wingfield a bit lately. I found Churchill-Cavan-north churchill-trainline to be best way in. I also have used MN rd but too many peeps fail a t junction etiquette i find. i ride fixed.
If i'm going against peak hour i get a lot less angst.
I'm studying next year at UniSA at Mawson lakes so will be keen to read others thoughts on this.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Road Regency then onto Churchill on the way to work this morning.

Prospect, Nottage Tce, Hackney rd on the way home.

Will probably go Prospect, Nottage, Walkerville tce on the way home tomorrow, but I think Regency & Churchill is the way to go on the way there.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:53 am

boyracer: check out this shortcut from crosskeys rd into mawson lakes: http://g.co/maps/efkt5

It is the way I get from Churchill Rd north to mawson lakes interchange and there are bike paths in a straight line through mawson lakes from that path.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:47 am

one thing I have found riding on roads frequented by trucks and comercial vehicles is the amount of debris on the road. My friend and I rode in and around the Northern area for a while but the puncture and tyre damage and thus rim damage got to a point of costing too much time and money. (change of jobs and work also helped)
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Biffidus wrote:boyracer: check out this shortcut from crosskeys rd into mawson lakes: http://g.co/maps/efkt5

It is the way I get from Churchill Rd north to mawson lakes interchange and there are bike paths in a straight line through mawson lakes from that path.
cheers for that Biffidus.
Is the av' because your cultured?

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:13 am

Nah, just inappropriate :)

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:01 pm

jeez...it's like Edward Scissorhands in there isn't it?
Nice short cut.
A lady cyclist in Campus Central office mentioned a dirt/gravel way in from south. I had a bit of a look on Google maps but can't see any obvious ones. Any one?
Cycleinstead website recommends heading cross town to frome st.,through north adelaide/walkerville/galway tce/bridge road...

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:20 pm

The shortcut I posted is a gravel path, maybe she meant that one?

If you're coming from the eastern side of town then the bike path past the velodrome might be worth a look. I found the bike lanes on Main North road (north of Gepps Cross) to be pretty good heading south because the traffic was never moving very fast.

One day we'll get a bike path along the railway line... one day...