How to politely ask others to allow me to pass?

find_bruce

Re: How to politely ask others to allow me to pass?

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:55 pm

cp123 wrote:I thought you had to be an audible warning device - whether that be a bell, horn, any gadget that plays the mexican hat dance. Certainly where I am anyway. So its not law to must have a bell.
You are pretty close - the Australian Road Rules require "a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order". As Il Padrone says your voice, even though often more effective, is not enough. If you don't like a bell, maybe an old style horn, strap a xylophone to your handlebars. You might even get away with wearing a Sousaphone :)
martinjs wrote:Do what all good road users do, wait until it is safe to pass and do it!
It's not rocket science!!.
I couldn't agree more. I am stunned at some of the comments posted here that seem to suggest that the people in front have some obligation to "get the f out of my way". The other day I was following a cyclist who abused two pedestrians for being in his way - he seemed somewhat put out when I pointed out he was obliged to give way to them.

If I was riding two abreast us and when a car driver came up behind us & tooted it's horn & if we didn't get out of it's way, blasted us with an air horn, cyclists would be outraged.

In the words of the OP what you should be doing is "politely ask others to allow me to pass" - it is arequest by a gentle ding of a bell or a few polite words, followed by a "thank you" as you pass.

My front brake squeaks a bit & I apologise if and when it startles the pedestrians in front of me.

There are plenty of posts on this forum about claiming the lane, asserting our rights & how cars should have to wait until it's safe to pass. It is no different when we as cyclists come across other road and path users - chances are those same pedestrians will be driving home afterwards

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 pm

I think it's different on a cycleway if for example there are two pedestrians side by side, one on the opposite side of the path (blocking both directions). In that case I always ring and they always move to let me by, but if they didn't and blocked both lanes I'd find that very rude on their behalf.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Yes, but when it's a dual lane path and the peds string out across both lanes in parallel then I don't hesitate to ring the bell etc!

Edit: What he said ^^^

David_G

Postby David_G » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Yes, but when it's a dual lane path and the peds string out across both lanes in parallel then I don't hesitate to ring the bell etc!

Edit: What he said ^^^
We still have to avoid crashing into them though no matter what way they're getting along on the path. Ringing your bell will alert them of your presence most of the time and it's not rocket surgery to make a judgement of how far away you need to be before starting t ring it is it? If all that seems to be failing you need to slow down to a speed where you won't run into them.
Your journey time will be increased a tad, but not by nearly as much as it would be if you'd crashed into them.
I just love riding my bike!

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Exactly!

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 am

GraemeL wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:slow down, call 'passing', then thanks as I pass. only adds a second to your ride.
+1 I always thank those that move so I can pass.

Graeme
+1. Courtesy is contagious.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

Milar

How to politely ask others to allow me to pass?

Postby Milar » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:30 am

+1 for bells. I only had one so if I had an incident I wouldn't cop the blame based on a technicality, but I use it all the time now. I usually shift right and do a ding about 20 meters out. I move over first so the ped can hear the direction the noise comes from so they don't panic into walking off the path or into my path (which some still do). I've get thanked for the warning frequently, never by a guy though.

With the wet weather, it's a bit pointless as my bell just gives a metallic sounding thud once it's wet! Weird that so little rain can dampen the ring so effectively.

I call "passing right" to other cyclists.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I don't have a problem with pedestrians - I rarely ride on shared paths any more after witnessing many incidents and being involved in a number of them.

I don't want my bars cluttered with a cheap looking bell, so to remain legal I have a Widek Decibel XXL attached to my seatpost. It is operable there so probably legal, but Mr Plod insists it can easily be moved on to the bar until he's out of sight.

But bells are wasted on me - I have tinnitus and industrial deafness and cannot hear them, at least not until they are right on top of me, and I'll bet that many pedestrians who don't respond also can't hear them. Loss of high frequency hearing affects everybody as they age, and it's predicted that hearing degradation will be even more pronounced in the earbud headphone generation.

Apart from obvious gumbies whom I give a wide berth, I've yet to encounter a cyclist who didn't respond to a clear call and a friendly g'day as I go by.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:32 pm

RonK wrote: But bells are wasted on me - I have tinnitus and industrial deafness and cannot hear them, at least not until they are right on top of me, and I'll bet that many pedestrians who don't respond also can't hear them.
Do not mistake, can not hear , with do not want to hear...
Two very different things.

I find that those that can not hear, wil take this into consideration,and walk so that others can easily pass, and a bell is not needed.

I also find that those that can hear walk all over the place..
And for those, yep, we neeeed a bell.. :lol:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 am

There is now another alternative to the bell ... this is claimed to be the world's loudest cycle horn. It is the Hornit. Sounds like a video game to me ...

Andrew
Andrew