basic - ? re: pumping up tyres

ewan

basic - ? re: pumping up tyres

Postby ewan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:52 pm

hi. i'm dealing with french valves (thin, long with a little screw bolt/cap at the end) i think. these are very hard to pump up with a short hand held pump, yes??
to pump them up i am loosening the screw cap a bit then pulling on the pump and thumping away. is this correct?

is there an adapter to buy so i can use the car tyre pump at the local garage?

regards ewan

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Garage pumps don't have the oomph to take it up to 100+psi. But yes, there are adaptors you can buy (do a Google). Some people use the garage pump to take it half way to save some energy.

Yet again, if your hand pump is decent, it shouldn't be too much trouble.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:48 pm

If you're doing it a lot with a hand pump and it's too much work, you might want a better hand pump. If it's a road bike you want a thin barreled pump so you can get the pressure up, if it's a mountain bike you want a fat barrel so you can pump extra air.

A floor pump is much easier if you are currently relying on a hand pump only.

As long as you are getting air into your tyres you're probably doing it right.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:21 pm

What others have said.

Adapter is available, do a search here or on Google.

Technique-wise, yep, what you've said. Unscrew, clamp on pump, and pump like hell. The type of valve won't make a difference, it depends on the tyre size you're using, and how much pressure you want. (Though typically Presta valves come on narrow 700c road tyres. Hand pump is doable, but it's a lot of effort if it's narrow road tyres where you ideally want to up around the 85+ mark (depending on width, weight, etc).

(Small tip with Presta ("french") valves: after loosening up the nut, give it a small push in to confirm you've broke the seal.)

Ideally a floor pump is best for regular pressure maintenance (easier and more accurate), and save the hand pump for emergencies.

Service station pumps (as opposed to a compressor) will not get up to the pressures you should be looking at for narrow tyres. And even for wide tyres, if the gauge reaches adequate pressure, I wouldn't trust them. They deliver large volumes per spurt, so increased chance of overpressure and a blowout.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:02 am

My stepfather showed me a little trick to reduce frustration when topping up the air pressure.

Remove cap, ... unscrew locknut ALL the way, ... touch the locknut with finger [pssst] to ensure that valve is unseated, ..... then pump up tyre.

I have found a couple of valves that were pretty much stuck untill a little brute force unstuck them. If I had tried to pump without dislodging the valve from it's seat I would have been pretty well blue in the face trying to get the first puff of air in there.

Another point, it really is a proper high pressure pump you're using isn't it? One that clamps onto the valve stem, & not just a regular type with a flexi hose? The type originally designed for the old Woods/ Dunlop/ English valve will screw onto a Presta valve without difficulty.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

ewan

Postby ewan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:59 pm

Kid_Carbine wrote: Remove cap, ... unscrew locknut ALL the way, ... touch the locknut with finger [pssst] to ensure that valve is unseated, ..... then pump up tyre.
i think you've hit it on the head. i had not unscrewed the locknut enough or unstuck the valve. once i did i was getting air in there- not much with each pump but it's a tiny thing.

really it's a good thing i decided to practice fixing a flat at home. first, i decided to just pump up the rear as i also got a pressure gauge. well, finally got that done-- i'll do the fake fix tonight.

if i was outside i would have needed to call a cab. :roll:

re-the pump it's a little skinny Giyo. at the time i bought the bike i said i would also need a pump. so the asisstant said this will work. and that's how it came about...i can't complain cause i have no knowledge of what is best, worst etc.

it doesn't clamp on more a tight push down the valve? there were no how to use instructions just those on how to change the valve type bit..thingy..

thanks for the comments

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:35 pm

ewan wrote:it doesn't clamp on more a tight push down the valve? there were no how to use instructions just those on how to change the valve type bit..thingy..
Some of the smaller/lighter road pumps don't clamp and you just have to hold them on as you pump. Most of the mid sized ones have a lever you pull out to clamp it onto the valve.

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:13 pm

I have a small Topeak rocket pump without a clamp, and it works fine.

My previous one was a Blackburn Airstick (I think), it had a clamp but it took SO much effort to get to a decent pressure.

IMO, a floor pump to have at home is almost essential.

big.birdd

Postby big.birdd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:19 pm

yeah, mine doesnt clamp all that well though, seems like a pretty cheap little lever

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:44 pm

ewan wrote:re-the pump it's a little skinny Giyo. at the time i bought the bike i said i would also need a pump. so the asisstant said this will work. and that's how it came about...i can't complain cause i have no knowledge of what is best, worst etc.
Best option IMHO is the Zefal hpx frame-fit pump

Next best is probably the Topeak Roadmorph, a mini pump that can work like a stand pump, and has a gauge.

I'm fascinated also by Cycleaire.
ewan wrote:it doesn't clamp on more a tight push down the valve? there were no how to use instructions just those on how to change the valve type bit..thingy..
If it is a 'push on' pump connection there should be a swivel adjuster to tighten onto the ruber seal washer... makes it clamp tighter on the valve stem.