Worse than the SMIDSY.. the SMIDSYBISN

duncanm

Worse than the SMIDSY.. the SMIDSYBISN

Postby duncanm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:24 am

It must be everyone getting back into the 'drive to work' drudge...

in the last week, I've had a couple SMIDSY's that have been exacerbated by the last minute recognition that I'm on the road: the 'Sorry Mate, I didn't See you, but I've Stopped Now' (so somehow we're ok, aren't we?)

First one was at about 40km/h down a hill, some idiot pulls out from a side street on the left; I was expecting that, so I move to pass behind them. Then they see me and stop in the middle of the bloody road, halfway through the turn! My easy 'pass behind' is now a 'grab a handful of brake and swerve into the sidestreet behind'

Second one this morning was even more stupid. I'm puffing up the last hill before arriving at work, almost at the crest, going jogging pace. The woman coming out from a side street on the left sees me, decides I've someone waved her through (she gives a wave), and pulls out.. moderately annoying, but I was going to let it slide and pass behind her. Then again, half way through her turn, she decides I'm a bit too close and stops right in front of me. Even the guy standing on the corner gasped at the abject stupidity.

I won't count the idiot in the Hyundai that almost cleaned me up in a roundabout -- that's just a typical SMIDSY...

trailgumby

Re: Worse than the SMIDSY.. the SMIDSYBISN

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Maybe belongs in the Moron Motorists thread?

But yep, they were good 'uns :roll: .. and I agree often worse than a vanilla SMIDSY

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:55 pm

:shock: I'm happy to say I've never had one of these and I pray to Fred that I never do. Sheesh, talk about adding potential injury to insult :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 am

Strobing 900 lumen light DOES help with this. It's such an unusual light source that people tend to pick it up easier than other lights. Gotta be epic bright though. DX.com has a couple pearlers now - 250 bucks for a chinese ripoff? You KNOW it has to be powerful!

LemonChip

Postby LemonChip » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:18 am

Hey everyone, my name is Stuart and I'm new to this form (first post woo!).

Anyway I saw this thread and was actually wondering if there is an actual "complain about bad drivers" thread somewhere? I have an interesting story to tell. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Welcome outside Stuart.
Look for "Moron Motorists" in General.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011