Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Ozzie

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Postby Ozzie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Sorry Hooligan I'm with Vince on this one. I wasn't there but the group has been growing and moving along just fine over the last month or so. I personally started riding and helped start this group with the intention to better my fitness, speed, endurance and meet some blokes with common interests. As the professor pointed out we are all doing this to improve our fitness, speed etc and not just stay at the same level as we started. I personally dont need the politics I have a wife and kids for that. Maybe you should look at starting a Hooligan novice/beginner ride in the Point Cook area and do your bit to develop cycling in the area.Good luck happy riding.

mattg

Postby mattg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Gentleman,

I have been away for a while now and come back to read all this. Hopefully we can move on as a group and those that aren't happy with the start time, distance, route and speed of this group can find or start anther group in the area to ride with. I forward the motion that the group moves on from the trouble of last weekend!

Hopefully I'll be there this weekend, however that depends on the wife (I have been away for a month) but if not, I'll see all your smiling faces next weekend.

Matt

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 pm

After reading some replies, it appears that most of you are fine with the way things are.

My intend was only to improve things, and not to complicate things.
And I get the impression I am only doing the last one... , I do apologise for this.
So I wil remove myself from the group completely, so the group can hopefully go back to the way it was.

I wont stop riding altogether, so for those interested what i am up to... http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 14&t=49154
i am going to see if there is any interst in a anothergroup ride,and I have started my own thread :shock:

And no matter who rides what ride, I hope everyone wil enjoy themselfs.

Happy and safe riding everyone 8)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 am

vman wrote:What changed? Just the speed?

Yeah i turned up and slowed everyone down :D

speedhump

Postby speedhump » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 pm

So what is the start time?

Lukemac

Postby Lukemac » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:56 am

Great ride today.
Good exercise, good people, good coffee, good bike explosion (Ozzie).

I look forward to this ride every week.
Luke

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Cheers Luke thanks for the support

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi all just to clear the air after recent issues the Original Point Cook Cycling members got together today and as a group have suggested the following:

Moving forward Johan(damhooligan) has posted and proposed "The Other Point Cook Cycling Group" to help and develop those in the area who are not comfortable with busy roads or group rides. Thanks Johan great initiative. For riders looking for a social ride or who are not yet at a level to hold speeds over 30km/h for a long duration we suggest contacting Johan via the thread or PM to find out ride details. Speak to Johan but he may adopt a ride as quick as the slowest rider type policy.

The Original Point Cook Cycling Group still exists but is designed for more advanced riders comfortable with riding on busy roads or in groups. We average speeds at 30km + and for distances of 60km-80km. Our mission is to get out and back as quick as possible (with a coffee in the middle). We dont adopt the same policy of waiting for the slowest rider. Not saying we will leave you behind but please be able to keep at a pace of 30km plus for the duration. This group leaves at 7.30am Saturdays. Our group does conduct group sprints throughout it's ride and is designed for riders to increase speed, stamina and fitness. So as our fitness inmproves over time so may our average speed.

Hopefully now we have a cycling group to suit all abilities in the local Point Cook area.

Pick a group that suits your needs and abilities and Happy Riding !!

theprofessor

Postby theprofessor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Awesome ride today everyone. Nice to get some good sprints in. fantastic weather too. have a good week and looking forward to next Saturday

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Ozzie wrote:Hi all just to clear the air after recent issues the Original Point Cook Cycling members got together today and as a group have suggested the following:

Moving forward Johan(damhooligan) has posted and proposed "The Other Point Cook Cycling Group" to help and develop those in the area who are not comfortable with busy roads or group rides. Thanks Johan great initiative. For riders looking for a social ride or who are not yet at a level to hold speeds over 30km/h for a long duration we suggest contacting Johan via the thread or PM to find out ride details. Speak to Johan but he may adopt a ride as quick as the slowest rider type policy.

The Original Point Cook Cycling Group still exists but is designed for more advanced riders comfortable with riding on busy roads or in groups. We average speeds at 30km + and for distances of 60km-80km. Our mission is to get out and back as quick as possible (with a coffee in the middle). We dont adopt the same policy of waiting for the slowest rider. Not saying we will leave you behind but please be able to keep at a pace of 30km plus for the duration. This group leaves at 7.30am Saturdays. Our group does conduct group sprints throughout it's ride and is designed for riders to increase speed, stamina and fitness. So as our fitness inmproves over time so may our average speed.

Hopefully now we have a cycling group to suit all abilities in the local Point Cook area.

Pick a group that suits your needs and abilities and Happy Riding !!

Thanks guys !!

Thanks for your support.
It's good that we now have some more clarity.. 8)
This way we can avoid confusion before hand... :D

Happy riding !!
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:39 pm

I have no real interest in these rides, but from whats been going on, it sounds like a sizable shift in ethos of the group.

This from Aug 11 last year.
Ozzie wrote:Hi guys rides back on again this Saturday August 13th for those interested. Weather looks fine so a quick trip down to Williamstown for coffee and back will see us clock up 50km. Then if the legs are still good and anyones interested happy to do a lap or two of the Werribee back beach for another 20-40 km. As usual 9.00am sharp departure Degani Coffee Shop near the Coles entrance Point Cook Town Centre. Only ride as fast as the slowest person so dont paniac if your not Cadel Evans. See you there Colin.

Then there was a gaggle of you signing up for the Amy Gillett rode with averages between 25-29kph.

Jan 3rd 2012.
mattg wrote:Jeffa32, don't worry about the speed, by jumping in the middle or back of the group, you'll get pulled along alright. Most Sat rides average about 50 -65km, occassionaly they will tip over the 80Km mark. The longer rides are normally planned in advance. We always stop for a coffee and chat at the half way point so there is plenty of time to recover. Come along on Sat 7.00am at Degani's PCTC and meet the lad's. All good blokes with varying cycling ability - No one gets left behind.
And.
Ozzie wrote:Hi Jeffa, you are more than welcome to join us if you wish we average around 28-32 km per hour most weekends depending on the head winds. The regular trip to Williamstown and back for coffee is 65km. You are more than welcome to tag along and if need be turn back a little earlier if the speed or distance is to quick for you.

We depart Degani Coffee Shop 7am sharp every Saturday.

See you there. Colin.
So it seems to me like the "Only ride as fast as the slowest person" vibe to the group has gone.

Hopefully the fact that Mr Hooligan shook things up will help make a group that is inclusive for the slower guys. I am sure the guys who are fast these days remember a time when they werent so quick.

speedhump

Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Postby speedhump » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Cadel Wannabees!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:14 pm

speedhump wrote:Cadel Wannabees!!
You would rather they desired to emulate Shame? Dumb, fat and chucking a ball around a paddock with a durrie elegantly poised upon one drooling lip? :shock:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

speedhump

Postby speedhump » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
You would rather they desired to emulate Shame? Dumb, fat and chucking a ball around a paddock with a durrie elegantly poised upon one drooling lip? :shock:
I assume you meant 'Shane'. Well they are like him too, elite snobs, pm only selected mates to come for a spin last weekend. I was told to refer to Hooligan when asked about start time, I have no problems with their pace, I suppose it was not good to be seen chatting with Hooligan after the spat the other weekend.

Oh, by the way, I am a massive Cadel fan!!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 pm

speedhump wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
I assume you meant 'Shane'. Well they are like him too, elite snobs, pm only selected mates to come for a spin last weekend. I was told to refer to Hooligan when asked about start time, I have no problems with their pace, I suppose it was not good to be seen chatting with Hooligan after the spat the other weekend.

Oh, by the way, I am a massive Cadel fan!!

ah well, thats the price you have to pay for chatting to a hooligan , i suppose.. :mrgreen:
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Great to see a ride that no one is supposedly interested in, or not happy with it's rules and riders still attracts so much attention.

Grow up and move on !!!

You now have a choice of groups to ride with in the area. Feel free to use one !

To those riding in the advanced group Saturday see you at 7.30.

Regards Colin.

speedhump

Postby speedhump » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Ozzie wrote:Great to see a ride that no one is supposedly interested in, or not happy with it's rules and riders still attracts so much attention.

Grow up and move on !!!

You now have a choice of groups to ride with in the area. Feel free to use one !

To those riding in the advanced group Saturday see you at 7.30.

Regards Colin.
Thanks Colin

So does this mean the ride is open to all so long as they can maintain the pace? If you get dropped, you get dropped?

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm

this will most likely be my last post here, as the group has evolved and i'm not sure i fit in with the change in principals, so i'll just give a bit of a brief run down of my experience with the group.

Firstly, great bunch of guys, i thoroughly enjoyed my couple of rides i did. Everyone was relaxed but keen to get out and get the blood pumping. For me i like it purely because i had never really ridden with anyone before, so it was a nice social side to a sport that is rather boring on your own. The few times i have ridden with the group i got home rather excited and was buzzing for most of the day, it's a nice ride with friendly people.

The first ride i did i think was also Lukes first after being away from the bike for a bit. Naturally he wasn't as match fit as some of the other regulars and on the way back from Willy there was a few occasions where we would either slow down or stop to let him catch up. Naturally he was a bit knackered, but no one cared as the vibe of the group was essentially a nice social ride. The next time i went i think it was the same guys but Luke was away and i met Johan for the first time. Seemed like a decent bloke, with a touch of alpha male, ADHD about him but seemed genuinely nice. I think the pace of the group was fairly normal, we'd sit on anywhere from about 28-35 depending on the conditions.

I then missed a few months for various reasons and got a chance to go and have a ride again, keen as mustard i was as i had enjoyed my other rides. It was a fairly different looking group this time, a bunch of new faces and only Migs and Johan that i knew. With Colin being the normal guy who lead the group being away, it seemed it was Johan who was the man in change and we headed off. As we now know the pace of the group was 35-40kph and not the 30-35 that it was previously. I must admit i felt pretty guilty that my inability to maintain 35-40kph had caused some friction in the group. I kinda just wanted to slink away and not be involved anymore. But we continued on at a slightly reduced pace for the rest of the ride. I must admit, despite the obvious 'moment' in the middle, i had an absolute ball.

Obviously then it all kind of unravelled on here as well which resulted in Johan deciding, or being encouraged, to set up a group for the more casual rider. I sort of see myself as somewhere in between, i don't really want to go too slow but i like being pushed a bit. I must admit i was a bit disappointed at Colins decision that this is now pretty much an advanced group with set speed as a guide. Obviously the choice to make it a faster group rules me out as i was the one at the back of the pack that caused all the trouble. I went from a having a lot of fun one week to now feeling like i've been relegated to a B group, doing a ride i don't really want to do and not with the guys i want to ride with. Thanks but i guess i'll just go back to riding by myself. It's a shame the group is no longer a casual pop in and go for a ride type of group, but i guess i understand people want to improve.

Good luck all, i had fun the times i was out, if i get better and i am welcome i'd love to come have a ride with you guys again some day. :wink:

Grim

Postby Grim » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:04 am

Wow, if I wanted to get graded for a "social" ride I would rather renew my old Club Membership and get to working back to racing Cat 2 instead. "Social" ride indeed......

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:39 am

Ozzie wrote:Great to see a ride that no one is supposedly interested in, or not happy with it's rules and riders still attracts so much attention.
please be patient , 'the rules' has only just been changed from social to advanced..
offcourse it gets attention, especially considering the group never had rules to begin with.
and know the group has rules all of a sudden..it takes some time to get used to.. is normal..
Ozzie wrote:You now have a choice of groups to ride with in the area. Feel free to use one !
Again, the other group is so new, it has even started yet...
There is some confusion naturally...

for example ;
speedhump wrote: Thanks Colin

So does this mean the ride is open to all so long as they can maintain the pace? If you get dropped, you get dropped?
they are just trying to figure out out wich group is bestly suited for them. :wink:

Ozzie wrote:Grow up and move on !!!
Give everybody some time, and i am sure they wil ... 8)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 am

Grim wrote:Wow, if I wanted to get graded for a "social" ride I would rather renew my old Club Membership and get to working back to racing Cat 2 instead. "Social" ride indeed......
my rides wil be social, :D
w00dsy wrote:
Obviously then it all kind of unravelled on here as well which resulted in Johan deciding, or being encouraged, to set up a group for the more casual rider. I sort of see myself as somewhere in between, i don't really want to go too slow but i like being pushed a bit.:
Dont get me wrong, I am not aiming to go at snails pace...
There wil be enough room to go at a good pace, depending on who is riding.
We can have a 'fast' one or a 'slow' one, it wil all depends on who is in the group.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Shmando

Postby Shmando » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey guys,
Looking for the level of interest in including a trip to Yarra boulevard as part of tomorrows ride, would be about 100kms.
I'll be doing it anyway, so if the late notice is a problem we can schedule for another week.

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi boys due to work commitments this Saturday I cant make our regular ride. Hope the suns out and you have a good one.

If anyone is interested as I cant make Saturday I'm going out early Sunday for a quick ride to Willie/Yaraville and back. Just PM me. Regards Colin.

Scouller

Postby Scouller » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Is there still a ride that leaves Sundays at 730 from library at the plaza?

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Scouller wrote:Is there still a ride that leaves Sundays at 730 from library at the plaza?
As far as I know yes.
But dont know for sure, as I haven't done this ride for a long time.

Only one way to find out I suppose.. :wink:
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!