Child cyclist hit by "P" plater

Old and Rusty

Child cyclist hit by "P" plater

Postby Old and Rusty » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

This happened not far from the M7 Cycleway.

A BOY riding a bike has been taken to hospital with head injuries after a P-plate driver hit him in Sydney's southwest.
Police say a white ute swiped the 10-year-old rider shortly before 4pm (AEDT) as he was crossing Dalmeny Street at Prestons.

He suffered head injuries and was taken to Liverpool Hospital where he remains in a stable condition with non-life threatening injuries.

The driver of a white Toyota Hilux single-cab utility left the scene without giving details.

Investigators believe the driver lives locally.

The ute was displaying a P plate and has damage to the front passenger side.

Witnesses are urged to call Liverpool police station on (02) 9821 8407.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/bo ... 6249793757
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

KonaCommuter

Re: Child cyclist hit by "P" plater

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Should send a paper copy of that to Warnie. He’d be proud
2012 Oppy A4

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Should send a paper copy of that to Warnie. He’d be proud
I'm sure he'd prefer it to be texted, or tweeted..

Hope they catch this POS and hang him.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Hopefully this motorist comes forward and is properly charged. No excuse for hitting a child in any vehicle.

Around kids you just have to slow slow slow down in cars, bikes, horses, pogo sticks, running...

When I was around this poor kids age I saw a father run out of a taxi, throwing money at the driver, to spend the last few minutes of his daughters life on a fully marked ped crossing next to her mangled bicycle. Very sad scene. The ambos revived her once but she gave up the ghost again... the parents were just two broken people on the road in shock with her younger brother looking on too.

Never found out what happened to that P plater but I imagine even if they faced no charges they won't forget that day. At least they stopped in this case and ran into the closest house... which as the girls home, her mother answered the door.

Failure to stop at an accident should warrant 5 years inside, people have to cowboy up regardless of the circumstances.

Hope the family is coping.

JM

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 pm

It w
Sydguy wrote:Hopefully this motorist comes forward and is properly charged. No excuse for hitting a child in any vehicle.

Around kids you just have to slow slow slow down in cars, bikes, horses, pogo sticks, running...

When I was around this poor kids age I saw a father run out of a taxi, throwing money at the driver, to spend the last few minutes of his daughters life on a fully marked ped crossing next to her mangled bicycle. Very sad scene. The ambos revived her once but she gave up the ghost again... the parents were just two broken people on the road in shock with her younger brother looking on too.

Never found out what happened to that P plater but I imagine even if they faced no charges they won't forget that day. At least they stopped in this case and ran into the closest house... which as the girls home, her mother answered the door.

Failure to stop at an accident should warrant 5 years inside, people have to cowboy up regardless of the circumstances.

Hope the family is coping.

JM
It was bad enough farewelling my cousin yesterday who was killed while returning home from a training ride last Thursday.

Being a parent having to face that... my worst nightmare. :cry:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 pm

:(
If they find this pile of coprophilic dogs vomit and the lads father needs an alibi...

Nail 'im up I say! Nail some sense into 'im!

Heal well young feller, I'm off to give the lad a hug.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 pm

After driving in Sydney as a P plater this summer. I have noticed there is a P plater every where u look! Some well into their 20-30's so it would be pretty hard to narrow it down(assuming it is a tradie or contractor)
Need info on if the driver is P1(red) or P2(Green)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Richard.L wrote:After driving in Sydney as a P plater this summer. I have noticed there is a P plater every where u look! Some well into their 20-30's so it would be pretty hard to narrow it down(assuming it is a tradie or contractor)
Need info on if the driver is P1(red) or P2(Green)
In our area that is certainly the case, though most are high school kids. They tear up our 50km/h doing 100km/h. Every time it rains they are out doing doughnuts and burnouts. You can see the rubber "bogan tracks" all over the road. They have no respect, and what is sad is that they all probably live in this area.
One such P-Plater ran straight into the back of neighbour's parked car, which was right out the front of my house. Perfect visibility for 800m before the car, clear sunny day, straight road. Driver did not even use the brakes. Both cars a write off. The P-Plate driver was sending a text message at the time (according to witnesses).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 am

Bad enough to hit someone...but not stopping to give whatever aid possible is just plain scummy..hope the kid recovers, sympathy to his folks

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Oxford wrote:hope the kid is OK.

its cowards like Warne that are normalising this sort of behaviour. the failure of the police to step in only reinforces this normalisation and enables it.
Spot on he should be charged with inciting violence towards bike riders. I never have issues on the road and the last two days I've been abused and nearly been run off the road by a bus and hit by a P plate car doing 100+ in a 50 zone. I caught both drivers and coped "get a number plate or get off the road" its a joke.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Oxford wrote:I'll be honest, I'm glad I'm not cycle commuting anymore, I don't think I'd stay out of jail because I would feel the need to go riding armed with a weapon. in saying that though when I moto commute I am constantly keeping an eye out for cycling brethren and the actions of vehicles around them.

The Police could, well I dunno, Police the roads. But with Vic Police telling people to sort out their own problems re: road rage then it’s on their own heads when things escalate.
2012 Oppy A4

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 pm

10 year old on scooter hit by P Plater not too far from the case posted by OP, the scooter penetrated the kids guts...

This is just crazy.

The SMH is running the article online version, and the street this happened on is a 40km/h street on a good day!

When will driver training be taken seriously? The cost to our pockets is staggering, they say obesity is $3bn a year, I wonder what the health costs are for new guts and life long rehab?

JM

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:05 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:The Police could, well I dunno, Police the roads. But with Vic Police telling people to sort out their own problems re: road rage then it’s on their own heads when things escalate.

Most people seem to complian that cops spend to much time doing useless stuff bothering motorists, rather than focusing on real crimes, guess they can't win.

deekrockingbeat

Postby deekrockingbeat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 pm

well you know if we have bicycle rego for all adult and child bicycle riders this wouldnt have happened. The p plater would fully respected the child riders rights to be on the street. :wink:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:51 pm

PB12IN wrote:

Most people seem to complian that cops spend to much time doing useless stuff bothering motorists, rather than focusing on real crimes, guess they can't win.

It’s certainly not a job that I’d have the courage to do and I for one appreciate their efforts.

As for the public getting antsy about Police seemingly focusing on road safety - 1,291 people died and 32,000 hospitalised in road crashes on Australian roads in the 12 months to July 2011. To my way of thinking driving without due care and attention is a real crime and the public need to acknowledge that.
2012 Oppy A4

stanevelyn

Postby stanevelyn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:31 pm

deekrockingbeat wrote:well you know if we have bicycle rego for all adult and child bicycle riders this wouldnt have happened. The p plater would fully respected the child riders rights to be on the street. :wink:
Pay for motor vehicle rego and take on the responsibilities of driving as well. I would suggest for a hit run incident without injury 5 years jail. Hit run causing injury 7 years etc, etc
These idiots go on about how precious rego is, then they should be accountable for the actions that come with having rego. I know that it is not the topic of this thread, but i feel it is very relevant to this discussion.

Cheers,

stan

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Oxford wrote:my complaint about police is that they do not enforce all the laws all the time. instead they are allowed by whatever the means may be, to cherry pick and enforce easy to ticket laws, or easy target perpetrators (or both).

anyone know anyone who has been ticketed by a patrol car for not keeping left (and not as part of a raft of charges due to some other infringement)?

any one seen buses in a CBD environment get ticketed for running red lights? particularly while the rozzas are diligently pinging the jaywalkers?

there are so many more examples like this.
Gee Oxford, that's twice today I have agreed with you, I am starting to get worried :D

Of the 200 or so road rules, I would love to see how many are actually enforced. In NSW they only bother reporting on

red light cameras
speeding offences
non use of seat belts
use of mobile phones
school zones

The list looks like a lot more until you realise that speeding & red light cameras are in multiple reports.

When was the last time you heard of or saw someone being done for entering a blocked intersection?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Of the 200 or so road rules, I would love to see how many are actually enforced. In NSW they only bother reporting on

red light cameras
speeding offences
non use of seat belts
use of mobile phones
school zones

The list looks like a lot more until you realise that speeding & red light cameras are in multiple reports.

When was the last time you heard of or saw someone being done for entering a blocked intersection?
That is not entirely true. I was once issued a parking ticket in a quiet residential street. The offence stated "park vehicle within 6m of a building alignment". Note, not 6m from the intersection...but 6m from the corner of the building on the corner. I just had to shake my head. I wonder how many houses got broken into that day.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 am

That is almost as good as the ticket I got for parking in a school bus zone from 7:52am to 7:58am... and the sign clearly says "School bus zone 8am-10am and 2:30pm to 4:30pm School days only" I was helping a friend with a broken leg pick up a wheelchair in front of a church, across the road from a primary school - during school holidays!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty