Degreasing

iMad

Degreasing

Postby iMad » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi all,
Newbie alert!!!! Have a Trek Hybrid that's just over 3 months old (new).
I've bought some Rock N Roll Gold lubricant and started using it on my chain but notice that all the moving bits, gears, derailleurs, chain etc get very dirty and clogged with black gunk even though most of my riding is on bitumen.
I was wondering if I couldn't occasionally give the whole area a good spray with degreaser from time to time, hose it off and re-lubricate?
I searched YouTube and found a couple of vids that did it but I thought I should ask the experts (you guys) before I do it.
Thanks
There are only two types of cyclist.
Those that have crashed and those that are about to.

Stuey

Re: Degreasing

Postby Stuey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 pm

I wouldn't do that. It washes the lube out of places you might not relube properly and washes grit into parts. You wouldn't get the degreaser out of nooks and crannies (eg. derailleur pivots) and it'd be a solvent for the lube you try to replace.

Alternatively, you could wipe over parts with an old t-shirt dampened with degreaser and then wipe over with a damp cloth (or a fine mist of water and dry it). I sometimes wipe the RD and chain with a cloth on which I've sprayed WD-40, particularly the guide sprockets, while turning the cranks backwards slowly. Then wipe with a dry cloth and relube.
Last edited by Stuey on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:58 pm

A lot of the "black wax gunk" comes off when you wash your bike otherwise I use a cane skewer to get the "black gunk" off the jockey wheels etc. I just use "car wash" and a stiff nylon brush (for washing dishes). I just use the garden hose to "pressure" wash the chain while back peddling. Wait until dry and relube the bike chain and pivots. This only works for wax lubes. The rag and WD 40 works well for clean up. You can even "floss" the cassette with a rag/WD40 to clean it if you don't have the tools to remove it.
The rag/WD 40 can also be used to clean the outside of the chain. Spray WD40 onto the rag hold around chain and spin cranks backwards wiping the outside of the chain.

I don't like using degreaser while the wheel is on the bike in the off chance that the degreaser gets in the wheel bearings.
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iMad

Postby iMad » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:A lot of the "black wax gunk" comes off when you wash your bike otherwisw I use a cane skewer to get the "black gunk" off the jockey wheels etc. I just use "car wash" and a stiff nylon brush (for washing dishes). I just use the garden hose to "pressure" wash the chain while back peddling. Wait until dry and relube the bike chain and pivots. This only works for wax lubes. The rag and WD 40 works well for clean up. You can even "floss" the cassette with a rag?D40 to clean it if you don't have the tools toremoveit.

I don't like using degreaser while the wheel is on the bike in the off chance that the degreaser gets in the wheel bearings.
Stuey wrote:I wouldn't do that. It washes the lube out of places you might not relube properly and washes grit into parts. You wouldn't get the degreaser out of nooks and crannies (eg. derailleur pivots) and it'd be a solvent for the lube you try to replace.

Alternatively, you could wipe over parts with an old t-shirt dampened with degreaser and then wipe over with a damp cloth (or a fine mist of water and dry it). I sometimes wipe the RD and chain with a cloth on which I've sprayed WD-40, particularly the guide sprockets, while turning the cranks backwards slowly. Then wipe with a dry cloth and relube.
Thanks guys.
Yes I sort of thought as much.
Mitzakatzi, you refer to "wax lubes" What exactly are they?
The R&R Gold is supposed to be the 'beez neez' of cleansing and lubricating liquids. See here http://www.rocklube.com/gold.htm

So it's OK to hose the thing down with a garden hose after cleaning?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Wax lubes. RocknRoll, White lightning Squirt. These lubes have wax in them and leave the chain dry. Other chain lubes are more oil based.

Some people like wax lubes some don't.

I use squirt on one of my bikes.

A lot of views on chainlubes and chain cleaning. Quite heated discussion on it. If RnR works for you use it.

I always use a garden hose to wash my bike. How else do you remove mud and dust? The bike gets wet when you ride in the rain.

edit added
This video seems ok on bike washing here
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ving

Postby ving » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:17 pm

take the chain off if you are going to do something like that. also the k=jockey wheels cant be taken off and pulled appart to be cleaned too... but dont go blasting it with degreaser and water as stated. :wink:

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

I've been using kerosene to clean my chains and cassettes lubed with a light oil. Kero is a solvent with a lubricant. Once degreased, I give it a good rinse, wipe and dry, then re-lube.

A citrus based bio degreaser would probably be a bit better for the world and I'll look into it more when I'm out of kero (I pour the used stuff into an empty kero bottle and discard it with the sump oil at the tip), but it might pose the same problems as regular degreaser outlined above.

CatCanRide

Postby CatCanRide » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks imad for posting that query. :) I was just coming in here looking for exactly that information for my Trek Hybrid.

Finally figured that cleaning my bike properly will probably help it live a long and happy life.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm

@OP from your link Rock"N"Roll Gold
Application Instructions:
Shake well and apply a stream of lube to the chain at the cassette.
Do not drip the lube on like you would oil. This is not oil!
Get the chain really wet, this stuff cleans and lubes all in one.
Freewheel the chain backwards for about 5 seconds...no less.
Wipe off all the excess lube...
all of it, wipe the chain as clean as it will get.
That's it go ride...
Are you wiping the chain really "clean"?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 pm

iMad wrote:Hi all,
I've bought some Rock N Roll Gold lubricant and started using it on my chain but notice that all the moving bits, gears, derailleurs, chain etc get very dirty and clogged with black gunk even though most of my riding is on bitumen.
I was wondering if I couldn't occasionally give the whole area a good spray with degreaser from time to time, hose it off and re-lubricate?
I searched YouTube and found a couple of vids that did it but I thought I should ask the experts (you guys) before I do it.
Thanks
Most people don't understand how to use dry chain lubes like White Lightning and Rock N Roll Gold and simply don't apply enough.

Use Rock N Roll Gold according to the instructions and you won't get much buildup.

You need to apply it liberally as the instructions state. The solvents will dissolve and loosen the buildup. Then you wipe off the residue and the solvent evaporates leaving behind a film of dry wax lubricant. Of course it helps if you start of with a clean chain, and a wash with a chain cleaning tool and degreaser from time time keeps everything pristine.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

iMad

Postby iMad » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:@OP from your link Rock"N"Roll Gold
Application Instructions:
Shake well and apply a stream of lube to the chain at the cassette.
Do not drip the lube on like you would oil. This is not oil!
Get the chain really wet, this stuff cleans and lubes all in one.
Freewheel the chain backwards for about 5 seconds...no less.
Wipe off all the excess lube...
all of it, wipe the chain as clean as it will get.
That's it go ride...
Are you wiping the chain really "clean"?
Yes, I did pretty much what the instructions said. Thanks
RonK wrote:
iMad wrote:Hi all,
Thanks
Most people don't understand how to use dry chain lubes like White Lightning and Rock N Roll Gold and simply don't apply enough.

Use Rock N Roll Gold according to the instructions and you won't get much buildup.

You need to apply it liberally as the instructions state. The solvents will dissolve and loosen the buildup. Then you wipe off the residue and the solvent evaporates leaving behind a film of dry wax lubricant. Of course it helps if you start of with a clean chain, and a wash with a [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.this link is broken/Basta-Chain-Cleaner]chain">http://www.this link is broken/Basta-Chain-Cleaner]chain</a> cleaning tool[/url] and [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... escription]degreaser[/url">http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... escription]degreaser[/url</a>] from time time keeps everything pristine.
I'll take a look at the links and thanks all for the benefit of your wisdom.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Buy 1 ltr of any engine oil, and a 10ml syringe from your chemist. After cleaning chain, rotate pedals (backwards is easiest) and slowly syringe 3ml of oil onto the chain. Pedal along, knowing you have a 20 year supply of chain lube in your bike shed. :)

durilium

Postby durilium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:11 am

I've been using rock'n'roll gold for months now and find it does exactly what it says on the bottle but have found that the drivetrain does run noisier with it.

I am unsure if thats because it's a "dry" lube or something else, i run a current Ultegra Groupo which is setup and tuned correctly.

In saying the above the noise of the chain running over the sprockets does not bother me much as once out on the road you barely hear it but would it be safe to say the noise factor is one of the differences between a "wet" or "dry" lube?

PS: Is one of those chain cleaning machines the go if you don't want to be removing the chain for degreasing? is there anything to watch out for when using them?

Cheers :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Yes mate, a clean machine is the easiest way to do it without chain removal but it can be pretty messy with degreaser splashing out of the machine. Once you've used it once you'll work out where to hang some rags next time to keep things tidy. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:18 am

I was lucky enough to be in the lbs when an ex pro team mechanic now working for Velocity happened to be instore.

How (according to said ex mechanic) the pros do it is, at the end of the day they remove the rear wheel and install an old rear hub with a cassette on it. They then get a 1" brush, dip it in degreaser and hold it on the chain while they rotate the pedals by hand (bike on stand), re dip brush in degreaser and hold on other side of chain, keep turning pedals by hand, re dip and do derailer. Wash bike with car wash and water using brush and hose off.

They leave the bike over night and re lube in the morning. He looked sheepishly at the lbs, who is a good friend of mine, and then said they use light engine oil (as per previous post) except they apply using 1" brush while rotating the pedals by hand.

Personally I am using Squirt (wax based) on my MTB because it attracts the least dirt but washes out the easiest in the rain, Purple extreme on my roadie because Mulger told me to and 90 grade gearbox oil on my commuter coz it's cheap.

Can't tell the difference when everything is clean and running well.

Squirt is the cleanest but shortest lived

Purple extreme is cleaner than gearbox oil and lasts as long in the rain

Gearbox oil is dirty but works just fine!

IMO I will stick with squirt for the MTB just because it does not attract the dust as much but in the wet season will use gearbox oil

I do like Purple extreme but apart from being cleaner than gearbox oil can't see any advantage.

All in all the cost of lube is insignificant and gearbox oil etc will be a massive $5-$10 per year cheaper than Purple extreme, problem is I have 20 years supply of gearbox oil and only 1 year of purple extreme... :D

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:01 pm

bosvit wrote:I was lucky enough to be in the lbs when an ex pro team mechanic now working for Velocity happened to be instore.

How (according to said ex mechanic) the pros do it is, at the end of the day they remove the rear wheel and install an old rear hub with a cassette on it. They then get a 1" brush, dip it in degreaser and hold it on the chain while they rotate the pedals by hand (bike on stand), re dip brush in degreaser and hold on other side of chain, keep turning pedals by hand, re dip and do derailer. Wash bike with car wash and water using brush and hose off.

They leave the bike over night and re lube in the morning. He looked sheepishly at the lbs, who is a good friend of mine, and then said they use light engine oil (as per previous post) except they apply using 1" brush while rotating the pedals by hand.

Personally I am using Squirt (wax based) on my MTB because it attracts the least dirt but washes out the easiest in the rain, Purple extreme on my roadie because Mulger told me to and 90 grade gearbox oil on my commuter coz it's cheap.

Can't tell the difference when everything is clean and running well.

Squirt is the cleanest but shortest lived

Purple extreme is cleaner than gearbox oil and lasts as long in the rain

Gearbox oil is dirty but works just fine!

IMO I will stick with squirt for the MTB just because it does not attract the dust as much but in the wet season will use gearbox oil

I do like Purple extreme but apart from being cleaner than gearbox oil can't see any advantage.

All in all the cost of lube is insignificant and gearbox oil etc will be a massive $5-$10 per year cheaper than Purple extreme, problem is I have 20 years supply of gearbox oil and only 1 year of purple extreme... :D

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

bosvit wrote:I was lucky enough to be in the lbs when an ex pro team mechanic now working for Velocity happened to be instore.

How (according to said ex mechanic) the pros do it is,
They leave the bike over night and re lube in the morning.
He looked sheepishly at the lbs, who is a good friend of mine,

and then said they use light engine oil (as per previous post) except they apply using 1" brush while rotating the pedals by hand.
and then said they use light engine oil (as per previous post) except they apply using 1" brush while rotating the pedals by hand
and then said they use light engine oil (as per previous post) except they apply using 1" brush while rotating the pedals by hand.
and then said they use light engine oil (as per previous post) except they apply using 1" brush while rotating the pedals by hand

I love it
I do :D :D :D :D