Magic Shine

elStado

Re: Magic Shine

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:28 pm

I also bought myself one of the newer "XML-T6" sets from DX. For $45 it's worth a punt. Have spoken to a few people online who have bought them and they said that they are fine once you spend a bit of time finishing them off (tape up and seal the battery pack, grease the o rings and put thermal paste on the heatsink). I also bought the extension cable so I can put the battery pack in my saddle bag or backpack when I ride. Reduces the issue of weight and also of weather exposure. Will see how it goes. I figured that if it does turn out to be a POS I chalk it up as a lesson learnt and get some Ay Ups. If it works out fine, then that's great and I'll have a cheap and effective high powered light to use on the odd night-time commute.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

elStado wrote:I also bought myself one of the newer "XML-T6" sets from DX. For $45 it's worth a punt. Have spoken to a few people online who have bought them and they said that they are fine once you spend a bit of time finishing them off (tape up and seal the battery pack, grease the o rings and put thermal paste on the heatsink). I also bought the extension cable so I can put the battery pack in my saddle bag or backpack when I ride. Reduces the issue of weight and also of weather exposure. Will see how it goes. I figured that if it does turn out to be a POS I chalk it up as a lesson learnt and get some Ay Ups. If it works out fine, then that's great and I'll have a cheap and effective high powered light to use on the odd night-time commute.
I took my T6 for a solo ride last night through Boondall Wetlands down to Sandgate. The track is narrow and never straight.
I think the T6 beam is too spotty and not enough flood, which prevented me from taking bends quicker.
But it is the cheapest 600+ lumens available and I am happy with the purchase so far.
I rarely ride more than 2 hours a week at night, and I don't do mtb, so I was not prepared to buy AyUps. If I commuted regularly, I'd probably buy AyUps for peace of mind.

In the mean time, the T6 is encouraging me to get out at night more, and I've moved on to getting a new helmet, wheelset, garmin vector, etc.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:53 pm

winstonw wrote:I think the T6 beam is too spotty and not enough flood, which prevented me from taking bends quicker.
But it is the cheapest 600+ lumens available and I am happy with the purchase so far.
I actually got it for this purpose mainly, to use as a "spot" light. I'll also be using a wider beam LED light in conjunction with it attached to my handlebars.

Also the version that I got (smooth crown) is slightly different to the others and according to another forum member the beam is a bit wider and not as concentrated. I guess I'll find out wither way in a couple of weeks.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:53 am

I spoke too soon it seems. The charger that came with the tail light (MJ-818 I think) doesn't seem to be working properly, so will resort to the original one.

In the next fortnight, will be ordering a spare tail light set and a $45 headlight set. Then I'll have 5 batteries, 2 headlights, two tail lights and 4 chargers :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:I spoke too soon it seems. The charger that came with the tail light (MJ-818 I think) doesn't seem to be working properly, so will resort to the original one.

In the next fortnight, will be ordering a spare tail light set and a $45 headlight set. Then I'll have 5 batteries, 2 headlights, two tail lights and 4 chargers :lol:
No quite - what is not obvious is that the $45 lights use a slightly different connector, so your batteries, lights and chargers will not be interchangeable. If I was in your shoes I would buy a few of the Magicshine extension leads and butcher them to replace the connectors for the $45 lights.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 am

Cheers for that. Sneaky buggers ...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:Cheers for that. Sneaky buggers ...
yeah I noted that 2 days ago, when thinking my magic shine mates could interchange batteries.
wouldn't be surprised if these units all come out of the same factory, which doesn't want to erode its market with cross compatibility.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:02 pm

elStado wrote:Also the version that I got (smooth crown) is slightly different to the others and according to another forum member the beam is a bit wider and not as concentrated. I guess I'll find out wither way in a couple of weeks.
I also got a CREE XM-L T6, which is the same LED used in the smooth crown advertised on deal extreme

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-smooth- ... r=43033281

I would hazard a guess your beam and mine are the same. Doubt there's any variation from the one CREE LED.

edit: did the Smooth Crown come with a battery bag? there's no bag shown in the advert.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:17 pm

winstonw wrote:
elStado wrote:Also the version that I got (smooth crown) is slightly different to the others and according to another forum member the beam is a bit wider and not as concentrated. I guess I'll find out wither way in a couple of weeks.
I also got a CREE XM-L T6, which is the same LED used in the smooth crown advertised on deal extreme

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-smooth- ... r=43033281

I would hazard a guess your beam and mine are the same. Doubt there's any variation from the one CREE LED.

edit: did the Smooth Crown come with a battery bag? there's no bag shown in the advert.
I was just going off the info from another forum member who said they owned a few different lights and had compared them. The smooth crown model also has venting holes.

The actual LED emitter is the same and the same power though, the differences lie within the reflector material, shape and lens.

Yes it does come with a nylon bag, for some reason it was not shown in the display pictures, but a few members have confirmed that they did get a bag with their order.
This just arrived last night, and DOES include the battery pouch even though it's not in any of the pictures.
http://club.dealextreme.com/forums/Foru ... did.951418

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 pm

OK, so I bought one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-smooth- ... -set-82507

It took 8 weeks to arrive, and when it finally did it was DOA. The battery pack was faulty. Turns out this is a common issue with these new lights.

Sent it back to the RMA centre and they agreed to give me a refund. But the issue is they sent the money to my Paypal account without asking, and as some will know it is very hard to get your money out of the Paypal account without losing some in the process due to fees/currency skimming etc. They also refused to refund the cost of postage (even though they said they would at the start), instead offering a store credit which is quite a process to cash in (I have to specially contact them with the reference number when I want to use the credit).

Whole thing turned out to be an expensive drama and I sincerely regret bothering with it. I am now saving up to buy an Ay Up light instead. Not worth the hassle with these cheap lights.

myk

Postby myk » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:54 pm

How much are the Ay Ups lights?
And why did you not just get them to send a new battery? Meanwhile you could have rigged up a temporary replacement by cutting the cable from the faulty battery.
I figured these were so cheap at $45 that I'd risk the battery not lasting long.

When I had faulty goods before, I got them to send something else in its place rather than mucking with store credit. Have not had to post anything back, fortunately.

BTW, you know it is illegal to post Li-ion batteries overseas from Australia? Silly laws, as you can receive them.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:36 pm

I know that when I ordered my stuuff deom DE, it took a while, but not 8 weeks.

If Ayup made a F&R light set that can run off the 1 battery, I'd be more interested, but klast time I checked they didn't.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:52 am

elStado wrote:Sent it back to the RMA centre and they agreed to give me a refund. But the issue is they sent the money to my Paypal account without asking, and as some will know it is very hard to get your money out of the Paypal account without losing some in the process due to fees/currency skimming etc.
Really? I have no problems at all transfer money from my PayPal account to my transaction account. Money turns up within two days as per most transfers and no fees associated with it. I however only transfer Australian dollars. Any funds in other currencies normally stay in PayPal for my next purchase in that currency. I don't allow PayPal to do foreign currency conversions for me. You might want to check what is actually happening as it does not sound right at all.

Andrew

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:57 am

I also dont have any problems.

I have just had a seller on ebay cancel and order because they no longer have stock. Paypal refunded the full payment back to my CC the following day.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:Sent it back to the RMA centre and they agreed to give me a refund. But the issue is they sent the money to my Paypal account without asking, and as some will know it is very hard to get your money out of the Paypal account without losing some in the process due to fees/currency skimming etc.
Really? I have no problems at all transfer money from my PayPal account to my transaction account. Money turns up within two days as per most transfers and no fees associated with it. I however only transfer Australian dollars. Any funds in other currencies normally stay in PayPal for my next purchase in that currency. I don't allow PayPal to do foreign currency conversions for me. You might want to check what is actually happening as it does not sound right at all.

Andrew
So ... are you saying i can buy in other currencies with paypal without incurring fees/incurring less fess?

I ususally buy from UK with my paypal account. I don't do anything myself regarding the foreign currency conversion, I just let it do whatever it does. I do notice that a google currency conversion is generally lower than the paypal final amount.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:32 pm

myk wrote:How much are the Ay Ups lights?
And why did you not just get them to send a new battery? Meanwhile you could have rigged up a temporary replacement by cutting the cable from the faulty battery.
I figured these were so cheap at $45 that I'd risk the battery not lasting long.

When I had faulty goods before, I got them to send something else in its place rather than mucking with store credit. Have not had to post anything back, fortunately.

BTW, you know it is illegal to post Li-ion batteries overseas from Australia? Silly laws, as you can receive them.
I had no way of testing it to make sure the battery was indeed faulty, I was just going off what other people on the forums were saying (a few people were all experiencing various similar issues with the battery not charging properly 1, 2). The RMA place confirmed it was the battery though after I sent it back. They offered to send me a new unit, but I can't really trust it can I, especially as they aren't very water resistant and could fail at any time without warning.. leaving me without a light to get home safely with.

Ay Ups are $260 for a twin light kit, so yeah a lot more expensive which is why I got the DX lights first. But considering they have better warranty, QC, service and delivery times it is worth it as I need a bright, durable and reliable light. Aussie company too (although they obviously source all their components from China).

I do have to say that at least the DX support was quite good once I raised a ticket. They had everything pretty well sorted and kept me updated with the progress and what I needed to do. So +1 for that. Just a pity that it took sooo long to arrive and then when it finally rocked up it was DOA.. $45 for a light like that is mighty temping if it actually worked properly.
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Yeah actually transferring the money back to my normal bank account wasn't as painful as I last remember. I think I lost a little bit from changing exchange rates, but it was negligible.

I sold my fixie a few weeks back for a healthy sum, I was going to put that towards a new carbon roadie, but I think I might buy myself some Ay Ups instead with the money (I also bought a Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket last week which I might chalk up against the fixie cash too). I'll wait until I have a job before I look into a new carbon bike.
Last edited by elStado on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience ElStado - very happy with my Ayups still and have had them for over a year now. They get shared between 4 of my bikes as I ordered extra handlebar mounts. Sure beats my old method of having to either own 4 different lights or fiddle around with them to transfer from one bike to another.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Mine are still going strong the original 808 model and a tail light. Two battery packs one is the original heat wrapped ones which I water proofed myself and the other the newer plastic housing type. The later is a bit big but works fine.

MM

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:05 pm

eeksll wrote:So ... are you saying i can buy in other currencies with paypal without incurring fees/incurring less fess?
I am saying that I get charged in the currency of the seller. PayPal does not charge you fees for buying; it will offer a less than favourable exchange rate but.

Of course your credit card may charge you for foreign currency transactions. The one I use for these purchases does not charge me fees and the conversion rate is pretty much as per XE.com on the day.

Andrew

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Jusdt bought another 808E and the 818 tail light. A battery went cactus, guessing the dropping onto bike racks a couple times did it, but the other battery with the tail light has been a revelation. I think I ran it for maybe 20+ hours before charging on flash mode? It was WEEKS between charges, even with the 45kms a day, and in ALL CONDITIONS. Can't recommend the rear light enough. The power drain on the front light is pretty serious though - gotta charge that baby even on strobe once a week at least. Good idea to split the two just in case. Also, my batteries are rubber sealed AND stay inside a drybag. I've put some silicone around the back of the taillight as well to reduce exposure.

Figured a few people might want to know how the Chinese Lottery went.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am

Both mine (808E and 818) are going well and coming up to their 3rd winter.

I pair both lights off the one battery, and whilst I think the charge life is dropping a bit on the two batteries that I rotate, still very happy with the setup and aboput to but anorther set for the other bike, as it saves having to swap it around when I change bikes.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 am

Same here mine are coming up on three years too and still going strong.I also run one battery off a y cable I have to charge daily.The bats last for about 2 hrs front on high and the rear on.One of my batteries if the new one in the plastic box the other is the original one with the ends siliconed up still works fine.I've been super o impressed with magic shines and agree the rear is the bomb but obnoxious if your in a group.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

r2160

Postby r2160 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:57 am

Hi all

does somebody have a link to a replacement battery for these lights from deals extreme? I have been looking but haven't been able to find one.

cheers
glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 am

r2160 wrote:Hi all

does somebody have a link to a replacement battery for these lights from deals extreme? I have been looking but haven't been able to find one.

cheers
glenn

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4400mah-ex ... 8650-32756
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 am

Thats the old style battery hunt ebay for the rubber coated one or the one in the plastic box.

MM