5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Some friends and I are riding to Goulburn this week. We will be coming down the M7 path, and then cutting across to the M5/F5, heading south. I have a few questions though:
1. What is the best route from the M7 path to the M5/F5 shoulder (heading south) at Prestons? Is it possible to do it on the road, and if so should we get on the M7 shoulder at say Cowpasture Rd?
2. Is the M5/F5 shoulder now rideable to Narellan Rd? If not, what is the alternative route like?
3. It's many years since I've ridden Narellan Rd from the F5 to Narellan, which used to be OK. I understand it's been through some changes - is it OK to ride these days? Is there still a shoulder?
Thanks heaps for any info.
1. you can do it on the road shoulder but beware exit to m5 eastbound and exit to camden valley way. Alternative is bike bath all the way to Camden Valley way. Turn left on CVW right onto beech rd (bunnings) and follow beech road through couple roundabouts to campbelltown road and hence on ramp onto f5. In my opinion this would be safer but a little longer and slower but not much.
2. f5 shoulder is restricted for a short distance at ingleburn shortly after the campbelltown on ramp. this is for the south west rail link. From memory (drove past on Sunday) the whole shoulder is not taken up. 4 lanes of traffic generally spreadout should see you through safely. f5 south of 1st cambelltown exit at raby is no go. Detour through campbelltown. fairly well signposted. follow campbelltown bypass to narellan road. Traffic could be heavier and no real shoulder. alternative is up queen street than hurley street. Blaxland road is probably OK too - two lanes of traffic but no shoulder for the most part.
3. Narellan road is fine for bikes. generally a wide shoulder all the way. which way are you going from Narellan? CVW to camden does not have much of a shoulder and the camden bypass bridge is not really suitable for bicycles although i have ridden it a fair while ago. Single file definately. There is a footpath however.
Trek 1500 (modified)
Thanks Beanzy, that's great.
The route we are taking is the Camden bypass, which has a shoulder most of the way and used to be quiet. The bridge we will have to deal with single file.
After that we are taking a bunch of back roads all the way to Marulan where there is no choice but to get back on the shoulder of the Hume Hwy. Will post the full route and a report after the ride.
This is probably the safest route to avoid the roadworks between campbelltown Rd and narellan Rd.
I prefer not to ride Blaxland road on my commute home as there's no shoulder, I'm tired by then and it's Campbelltown...
The route I take also has no shoulder but it is two lanes and fairly quite compared to Blaxland Rd.
2010 BMC SLC01
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]