Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 pm

As I said, there just isn't a market for it yet. The disc brake roadie is only just starting to get traction (so to speak) and really the main reason you get discs is to get stopping power for a lot of weight. If you're only 65 kiloes, you aren't really the same as the lads at 100kgs perhaps with some gear in the panniers. I like my discs, sure, but I actually wanted them to ensure I could stop with 40kgs of baby trailer/seat in the wet plus the bike and me. It's got to be pretty wet (genuine drizzle) before I think it makes a real difference.

You could get someone to build a steel roadie to meet your specs fairly easily, just wouldn't be 1700 bucks at your door :lol:
Xplora
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

by BNA » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm

BNA
 

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm

The reason I bought the Merida with discs is because at 120kgs, I need all the help I can get to slow down :D

Plus after years of riding MTBs with one finger stopping hydro discs, road brakes scared me.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:14 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Maybe somebody knows if my ideal commuter bike is already out there or if parts of it exist (primarily the frame)?

My ideal commuter bike:

- Has drop handlebars
- Has disk brakes
- Weighs less than 10kg including rack and mudguards
- Has a rack with rack-top bag and mudguards
- Conventional gearing probably preferred assuming IGH's would be too heavy/not work with drop-bar brifters
- 700c x 25 minimum

As some back story I'm currently commuting on my carbon road bike which weigh's 8.5kg and has 25c tyres. I love how fast it is, I love the drop bars and it's light enough to just barely get up the big hill on the way to work (up to 20% grade). I don't love that it doesn't have mudguards or a rack because that means the groupo gets covered in dirt in the rain and I have to carry a backpack. I also have a super crappy steel hybrid which does have a rack and mudguards but I find the flat bar upright nature of it too slow and at around 18kg all up it's just too heavy to make it up the hill.

I'm not really looking to buy at this point but I'm certainly keeping an eye out for something that ticks all the boxes, especially if it doesn't cost the earth (such as a custom Ti jobby might).


Image

My commuter. As pictured, weight comes in at 12.2kg, even with a Ti frame and a Ti rack that weighs almost nothing.

Most of the weight goes into the Disc Brakes and the Tyres (which are 740g each!). SRAM Apex group eats 25% hills for breakfast, even with loaded panniers.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 pm

What size tyres and what width mudguards are you running?

I think its time to get some for mine.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Mugglechops wrote:What size tyres and what width mudguards are you running?

I think its time to get some for mine.

I got P35s to go with 28s (and now 25s). Stick with the website recommendations, can't go wrong. The guards are VERY flexible if you must bend them to fit ;)
Xplora
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Will get the p45s then as I have 35mm tyres.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby waramatt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:37 pm

I just built up a Surly Cross Check to be my main commuter. No it's not sub 10kg. Closer to 12. No it doesn't have disc brakes, but I'm 88kg and ride it in the wet. It pulls up fine with caliper brakes. But it has been called the Swiss Army of bikes. You can add just about anything to the Surly frame. Panniers, mudguards, run it as a track or fixie etc. I'm running it with Shimano 105, 50/34 up front and 12/28 rear cassette. I run 700x37s and pump along the highway happily at 32-34. I also jump median strips, ride through grass reserves, nip along single tracks and fly along dirt roads. And I've pushed it up 17% grade no probs. But then so do all the other CXs already shown. I just like steel.
Image

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells
User avatar
waramatt
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby PB12IN » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:48 pm

queequeg wrote:Image

My commuter. As pictured, weight comes in at 12.2kg, even with a Ti frame and a Ti rack that weighs almost nothing.

Most of the weight goes into the Disc Brakes and the Tyres (which are 740g each!). SRAM Apex group eats 25% hills for breakfast, even with loaded panniers.


Ok, I want this bike. but then I get nervous about parking a $400 bike at southport, Don't think I would ba game to risk something like that.

ok I'm not certain of this (especially with carbon) but with an alloy couldn't you just get the mounts for a rack installed? shouldn't be to hard to drill a hole and fit mounts.
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby queequeg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Mugglechops wrote:What size tyres and what width mudguards are you running?

I think its time to get some for mine.


Marathon Plus 700x28c with SKS P45 Mudguards. Heaps of space, could go up to around 37mm with the P45s.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby queequeg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:18 pm

PB12IN wrote:
queequeg wrote:

My commuter. As pictured, weight comes in at 12.2kg, even with a Ti frame and a Ti rack that weighs almost nothing.

Most of the weight goes into the Disc Brakes and the Tyres (which are 740g each!). SRAM Apex group eats 25% hills for breakfast, even with loaded panniers.


Ok, I want this bike. but then I get nervous about parking a $400 bike at southport, Don't think I would ba game to risk something like that.

ok I'm not certain of this (especially with carbon) but with an alloy couldn't you just get the mounts for a rack installed? shouldn't be to hard to drill a hole and fit mounts.


Thankfully I have secure parking at work!

I wouldn't be drilling holes in the frame. You could compromise the integrity of it. Best to make sure the frame has the mounts int he first place, or use p-clips etc to retrofit.

Definitely don't drill anything into a carbon frame!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby PB12IN » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 am

queequeg wrote:Thankfully I have secure parking at work!


technically so do we, and have to pay $3 a day for cars. that didn't stop a heap of cars getting broken into and the company that owns the place saying, oh its not our problem, and no the security cameras don't work in the staff car park.

sorry for going off topic.
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:53 am

Scared of parking a 400 dollar bike?! Typo? :shock:
Xplora
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am

queequeg wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:What size tyres and what width mudguards are you running?

I think its time to get some for mine.


Marathon Plus 700x28c with SKS P45 Mudguards. Heaps of space, could go up to around 37mm with the P45s.


Thanks mate.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby PB12IN » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Xplora wrote:Scared of parking a 400 dollar bike?! Typo? :shock:


I don't know about you, but to me $400 is a fair bit of cash, we can't all afford expensive bikes. If it goes missing I will have to save for a while to be able to replace it.

If that ammount of money means so little to you how about i send you my address and you send me $400.

so how much should personal property be worth before someone should not want it stolen?
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Financial value is irrelevant, practical value is paramount. For the rider with only a bike for transport, theft or vandalism means a damn sight more than it does for the bloke who can call the other half out in the comfy SUV.

Having had bikes stolen before, I recall the feeling of guttedness that comes from finding fresh air where the scoot once reposed. I would happily sign an "Execute all bike thieves on sight" petition without the slightest qualm.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25266
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 pm

PB12IN wrote:
Xplora wrote:Scared of parking a 400 dollar bike?! Typo? :shock:


I don't know about you, but to me $400 is a fair bit of cash, we can't all afford expensive bikes. If it goes missing I will have to save for a while to be able to replace it.

If that ammount of money means so little to you how about i send you my address and you send me $400.

so how much should personal property be worth before someone should not want it stolen?

Don't get me wrong, I can't afford to lose any bikes, and I had to sell a car to get my Honky Inc - my point is simply that if you can't afford to take a controlled, measured risk with a 400 dollar bike, then you might need to give up cycle commuting and catch a train. Or walk... you get my point. I am fortunate to have reasonable parking facilities at work, and I intend on locking up my bike in the garage at home soon too. But I simply wouldn't do it if I could not expect the Honk to be there every day.
Xplora
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:38 pm

On looking at the options around the Boardman team CX from Wiggle looks like the winner so far: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-road-team-cx/

Little cheaper than the Merida CX bike (even factoring in shipping, including current specials) with a mix of Apex and 105 compared to mostly 105, seems to have slightly better wheels though and a carbon fork. Not so crash hot about the BB5 disk brakes, they seem to get universally bad reviews when compared to the BB7's. Boardman also do a CX bike with the same frame and fork but BB7 brakes and SRAM Force groupo but it's $350 more and while that probably makes it a better deal I don't think I'd pay that much for a commuter bike.

Thoughts? I really don't need to buy another bike right now *repeat ad-nauseum*
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby PB12IN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Xplora wrote:
PB12IN wrote:
Xplora wrote:Scared of parking a 400 dollar bike?! Typo? :shock:


I don't know about you, but to me $400 is a fair bit of cash, we can't all afford expensive bikes. If it goes missing I will have to save for a while to be able to replace it.

If that ammount of money means so little to you how about i send you my address and you send me $400.

so how much should personal property be worth before someone should not want it stolen?

Don't get me wrong, I can't afford to lose any bikes, and I had to sell a car to get my Honky Inc - my point is simply that if you can't afford to take a controlled, measured risk with a 400 dollar bike, then you might need to give up cycle commuting and catch a train. Or walk... you get my point. I am fortunate to have reasonable parking facilities at work, and I intend on locking up my bike in the garage at home soon too. But I simply wouldn't do it if I could not expect the Honk to be there every day.


So becasue I don't want my bike stolen I shouldn't ride it. I don't want my car stolen either, better not drive.
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Xplora » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 pm

PB12IN wrote:So becasue I don't want my bike stolen I shouldn't ride it. I don't want my car stolen either, better not drive.

Yep, I am glad we understand each other. Paranoia ruins lives. You can't control everything, so why bother trying?

AB, don't stress too much about the brakes. Any disc brake will be pretty good, if you decide you want more, just upgrade. I bought the Honky Inc expecting BB7s and it came with Shimano discs. Try to remember that some people have VERY different expectations about performance. I bet a lot of BB5 haters are comparing them to top line hydraulic 185mm MTB discs, and of course they will suck in comparison. I was disappointed I didn't get BB7s, but I'm still using the Shimanos. No point in upgrading when the brakes pull up.

Get the upgraded bike, it will be better in the long term. You are saving hundreds by riding each year. You'll have "saved" this money to your bank account within 6 months. Don't stress.
Xplora
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 am

AndrewBurns wrote:On looking at the options around the Boardman team CX from Wiggle looks like the winner so far: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-road-team-cx/

Little cheaper than the Merida CX bike (even factoring in shipping, including current specials) with a mix of Apex and 105 compared to mostly 105, seems to have slightly better wheels though and a carbon fork. Not so crash hot about the BB5 disk brakes, they seem to get universally bad reviews when compared to the BB7's. Boardman also do a CX bike with the same frame and fork but BB7 brakes and SRAM Force groupo but it's $350 more and while that probably makes it a better deal I don't think I'd pay that much for a commuter bike.

Thoughts? I really don't need to buy another bike right now *repeat ad-nauseum*


The BB5's are not all that bad. I am 120kgs and they pull me up fine every time. They do require some adjusting but its not too painfull. So far 6000kms on the front pads and the rears lasted 5700kms.

BB7's are better but I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:56 am

Xplora wrote: I bought the Honky Inc expecting BB7s and it came with Shimano discs.

Me too! What's with that?!
I bought mine off spec. without seeing the bike first, and I'd specifically asked the bike shop if it matched the specs on the kona website BB7's etc and he said yes! When it didn't arrive with them he promptly posted me a set without complaint/argument. Now I'm wondering if all of them came with changed brakes!

T.
thomashouseman
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am
Location: Toongabbie NSW

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 am

Hauso, if it's 2010, it definitely did just come with Shimmies. Espresso had the same problem. I think he went to BB7s as well. I brake, I can't see the point of upgrading when my only braking problems are stretched cables. :mrgreen:
Xplora
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby PB12IN » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:44 am

Xplora wrote:Paranoia ruins lives.


Wow :shock: you should be a politician, you went from having a go at me to concern about my mental state.

bravo!
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:02 pm

So maybe all the whinging about the BB5's is hot air, makes it harder to differentiate between the two Boardman CX bikes. Basically for $350 more you get SRAM force parts instead of apex and avid BB7 brakes instead of BB5. I suppose that the difference would be in the quality of the running gear (how nicely it actuates, how long it lasts) and the quality of the brakes (although it seems BB5's are probably fine the BB7's get much better press). I've never used SRAM stuff, how does Force compare to Apex? I don't give a damn about it being a few grams less, but does it last longer or work more reliably? Being a commuter it's going to get rained on and used a lot, if the extra money was going to actually give an increase in life or time between maintenance it would be worth it...
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Does my ideal commuter bicycle exist?

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:08 pm

PB12IN wrote:
Xplora wrote:Paranoia ruins lives.


Wow :shock: you should be a politician, you went from having a go at me to concern about my mental state.

bravo!

PB, I couldn't ride to work if I was that worried about being hit by a car, or falling off, or having the bike pinched. I would be incapacitated. So yeah, I'm concerned for you. I'm concerned all people that aren't my sworn enemies :mrgreen:

AB, Force is to Ultegra as Apex is to 105/Tiagra? I would definitely spend the extra money, it's really not much extra for a much better groupset.
Xplora
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist